Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
er15
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Poor Battery Life?



Hey guys my phone battery imo is poor. I have wifi, Cellular and everything off and yet my battery is draining so fast

Any suggestions? Should i also take it to Apple?

I've been barely using my phone, haven't taken any pictures or played any games, nor surfed the internet.

Last edited by er15; Dec 12, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:55 AM   #2
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Wow, no need to add this one to the several battery threads already on the front page because your question is unique and deserves it's own!
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
@AFDoc: stop trolling.

OP: that battery life is piss poor. Return the phone to Apple.
viperGTS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by er15 View Post
Image

Hey guys my phone battery imo is poor. I have wifi, Cellular and everything off and yet my battery is draining so fast

Any suggestions? Should i also take it to Apple?

I've been barely using my phone, haven't taken any pictures or played any games, nor surfed the internet.
Is this is a new phone?

Did you try draining it all the way to shut down and then fully charging? If not you need to do that at least 1-3 times.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
er15
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Wow, no need to add this one to the several battery threads already on the front page because your question is unique and deserves it's own!
Sorry, I didn't see that thread until now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
Is this is a new phone?

Did you try draining it all the way to shut down and then fully charging? If not you need to do that at least 1-3 times.
Nope I got my iPhone 5 a day after it was launched here in September. But lately the battery life has been slowly deteriorating and now it's been horrid. I have also let it drain up more 3 times since I've purchased my phone, also set it up as a new phone.
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:32 AM   #6
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Wtf? Almost 7 hours of standby time? I mean that's not bad... I've seen much worse. My boss' iPhone with 1-2 bars of reception barely gets 7 hours of standby on a charge...

Looks like you have max reception - depending on where the majority of your reception is during that 7 hours of standby time, I wouldn't be sad about this. Is this a brand new iPhone? If so, give it at least a week for battery issues to settle down.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
Wtf? Almost 7 hours of standby time? I mean that's not bad... I've seen much worse. My boss' iPhone with 1-2 bars of reception barely gets 7 hours of standby on a charge...

Looks like you have max reception - depending on where the majority of your reception is during that 7 hours of standby time, I wouldn't be sad about this. Is this a brand new iPhone? If so, give it at least a week for battery issues to settle down.
I disagree as you shouldn't lose 20% with only 11 mins of usage, even with almost 7 hours of standby.

My i5 only loses about 3-5% over the course of the night on standby and that's without me checking to make sure all the apps are closed, etc. Granted, it is on WiFi, but you still shouldn't lose that much unless you have a ton of apps on in the background, along with bluetooth on and your email updating every minute.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
er15
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
Wtf? Almost 7 hours of standby time? I mean that's not bad... I've seen much worse. My boss' iPhone with 1-2 bars of reception barely gets 7 hours of standby on a charge...

Looks like you have max reception - depending on where the majority of your reception is during that 7 hours of standby time, I wouldn't be sad about this. Is this a brand new iPhone? If so, give it at least a week for battery issues to settle down.
See this is the thing The phone is more than 2 months old as I purchased it a day after it was launched. For these reasons I am not sure if you mean 'brand new' after 2 months. But slowly the battery has been deteriorating
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hows this for poor battery life? WHAT THE HELL! Should I get a replacement? bought it on monday, I've let it drain down to 0 then back to 100 3 times already.



ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
Hows this for poor battery life? WHAT THE HELL! Should I get a replacement? bought it on monday, I've let it drain down to 0 then back to 100 3 times already.


Image
Image
Depends.....what have you done regarding "usage" in that hour? Just basic stuff?

Live I've said, an hour of streaming from the TuneIn Radio app took my phone down 32%. If it was just basic twitter, email, etc. then it's probably a bad battery.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
Depends.....what have you done regarding "usage" in that hour? Just basic stuff?

Live I've said, an hour of streaming from the TuneIn Radio app took my phone down 32%. If it was just basic twitter, email, etc. then it's probably a bad battery.
It was maybe 10-15 texts and the rest was browsing the settings to see if something changed. Could it be because my service is the little circle? I have terrible service here at work. I did a full restore last night because after a hard reset the phone erased all my passwords and settings and made me "connect to itunes to recieve push notifications". Maybe this is just a lemon? NEVER had a problem with any other iPhone I've owned.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 AM   #12
er15
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
It was maybe 10-15 texts and the rest was browsing the settings to see if something changed. Could it be because my service is the little circle? I have terrible service here at work. I did a full restore last night because after a hard reset the phone erased all my passwords and settings and made me "connect to itunes to recieve push notifications". Maybe this is just a lemon? NEVER had a problem with any other iPhone I've owned.

Ah, see with mine I did not make any phone calls or texts, nor use any wifi connection to use facebook/instagram. Just on pure stand by with me opening it to take screenshots of the battery life

Seems like I have a poorer battery life than you
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Tulani
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Will there ever be a design solution to these nagging battery concerns to give the phone a better battery life?
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
It was maybe 10-15 texts and the rest was browsing the settings to see if something changed. Could it be because my service is the little circle? I have terrible service here at work. I did a full restore last night because after a hard reset the phone erased all my passwords and settings and made me "connect to itunes to recieve push notifications". Maybe this is just a lemon? NEVER had a problem with any other iPhone I've owned.
Well, do you have your WiFi and/or Bluetooth on? I know that if you do it will keep searching. Also, same with the "Enable LTE" in cellular settings. If those are all on and you don't have access to them, the phone will keep searching for them and it drain quicker than normal. Still don't think it should go down 30% in that amount of time though.

The little circle icon, at least on my Verizon model, only shows up when I'm actually talking on the phone. I don't think I've every seen it outside of that so I'm not sure if that means bad reception or what.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
Well, do you have your WiFi and/or Bluetooth on? I know that if you do it will keep searching. Also, same with the "Enable LTE" in cellular settings. If those are all on and you don't have access to them, the phone will keep searching for them and it drain quicker than normal. Still don't think it should go down 30% in that amount of time though.

The little circle icon, at least on my Verizon model, only shows up when I'm actually talking on the phone. I don't think I've every seen it outside of that so I'm not sure if that means bad reception or what.
So I should turn off LTE while I am at work? Never thought about that I just figured if it couldnt find it it would stop looking for it, or atleast maybe once an hour or so and not constantly. Maybe I'll give that a try and no my wifi isnt on so thats not a factor. Also, if I'm not mistaken the little circle means edge? Not completely sure though...

Right now its 12:14 on 68 percent.

Wifi off
LTE off
All apps closed

Im going to give it an hour and see how the drop is.

It does seem like it dropped quite a bit though in a short amount of time. I'm wonderding If I should just go get a replacement or not...
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
So I should turn off LTE while I am at work? Never thought about that I just figured if it couldnt find it it would stop looking for it, or atleast maybe once an hour or so and not constantly. Maybe I'll give that a try and no my wifi isnt on so thats not a factor. Also, if I'm not mistaken the little circle means edge? Not completely sure though...

Right now its 12:14 on 68 percent.

Wifi off
LTE off
All apps closed

Im going to give it an hour and see how the drop is.

It does seem like it dropped quite a bit though in a short amount of time. I'm wonderding If I should just go get a replacement or not...
I'm not sure on the LTE thing, but I "think" it will search for LTE if that is enabled. All you can do is try it with it off.

If nothing really works then I would try taking it in, which sucks, but it will be worth it if they can fix the problem with a new phone or whatever.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 AM   #17
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
Depends.....what have you done regarding "usage" in that hour? Just basic stuff?

Live I've said, an hour of streaming from the TuneIn Radio app took my phone down 32%. If it was just basic twitter, email, etc. then it's probably a bad battery.
Believe it or not, twitter is quite a battery drainer.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #18
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
I'm not sure on the LTE thing, but I "think" it will search for LTE if that is enabled. All you can do is try it with it off.

If nothing really works then I would try taking it in, which sucks, but it will be worth it if they can fix the problem with a new phone or whatever.
Well so far with the above settings mentioned its been about 10 minutes and its gone from 68 from 64 without me touching it at all. Gonna give it another 50 minutes and see. Thats the only way I can truely know.

at 10:33 it was at 94 percent with LTE on then 11:33 it was on 70 with lte on and only another 20-30 minutes of scrolling through the settings.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
Well so far with the above settings mentioned its been about 10 minutes and its gone from 68 from 64 without me touching it at all. Gonna give it another 50 minutes and see. Thats the only way I can truely know.

at 10:33 it was at 94 percent with LTE on then 11:33 it was on 70 with lte on and only another 20-30 minutes of scrolling through the settings.
If you lost 4% in 10 mins on standby alone, with everything turned off, then you have a faulty battery.

I only lose 3-5% on standby over the course of 8 hours at night. 4% in 10 mins is a bad battery/phone.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
er15
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
So, with my current situation should I return my phone to Apple?
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
If you lost 4% in 10 mins on standby alone, with everything turned off, then you have a faulty battery.

I only lose 3-5% on standby over the course of 8 hours at night. 4% in 10 mins is a bad battery/phone.
Yeah...thats what I figured. So since I've had problems with this phone from my iCloud back ups (deleting passwords/connect to itunes for push notification/imessage didnt work) Should I start over new with the new phone? My only problem is how do I get my pictures back? There synced to icloud.... I know when I login to my thing my contacts automatically come back so I'm not worried about that

Can I sync them to my desktop and then put them back on or would that possibly bring the problem back again? I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of downloading all my apps again, but if I have too, I will.

Btw its on 57 percent now and I havent touched it, It did fetch emails once though.

Last edited by ant the ninja; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by er15 View Post
Image

Hey guys my phone battery imo is poor. I have wifi, Cellular and everything off and yet my battery is draining so fast

Any suggestions? Should i also take it to Apple?

I've been barely using my phone, haven't taken any pictures or played any games, nor surfed the internet.
That gives you about a day and a half of battery life. How is that bad when you can just charge your phone at night? As long as it gets you through the day it is good. Android phones cant even make it through the day.
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #23
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
That gives you about a day and a half of battery life. How is that bad when you can just charge your phone at night? As long as it gets you through the day it is good. Android phones cant even make it through the day.
Ha! My Android blows your iPhone away. My battery life is far superior to your's.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Ha! My Android blows your iPhone away. My battery life is far superior to your's.
First of all you don't even know what my battery Iife is on my phone and second, I don't care
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #25
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
First of all you don't even know what my battery Iife is on my phone and second, I don't care
Doesn't matter what your iPhone battery life is because my Android will still blow it away. Guess what my battery life is?
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery life poor B1ueB1aze OS X Mavericks (10.9) 4 Jun 23, 2014 11:30 AM
Poor battery life on 4S Husky1992 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Oct 25, 2013 07:20 AM
Battery life poor on 6.1.3 ben824 iOS 6 26 Apr 8, 2013 07:44 PM
poor battery life? Vin365 MacBook Pro 1 Jul 11, 2012 02:32 PM
Fasst battery charging but very poor battery life Thetonyk123 iPod touch 1 Jun 13, 2012 12:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC