Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I nee dto usemy ipad mini - wifi version sometime sin area where there is no wifi. So the solution to getting connection is I can get my Ip5 to act as a hotspot so that my ipad mini connects.

Now i have a 2gb plan and as I understand I need to bump upto 5gb for me to be able to get the hotspot feature.

Is the connection relaible and fast? Do I have to connect through bluetooth or wifi. Also how much more willI be paying to get this hotspot service?

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I've tethered my old iPad a lot from my iPhone 4 just fine. Usually over BT rather than Wifi. I've been on AT&Ts network but with other suppliers like RedPocket and annoyed that they turned off tethering so I jail broke my phone and installed tetherme to re-enable it. Daft to have a 2GB plan and no tethering but I needed to be on a short term deal rather than a contract. Ironically, here in NZ I just bought a cellular iPad mini and Vodafone NZ gave me a free SIM since I'm on a smartphone plan and bumped my deal by $10 a month to allow me to run both my phone and iPad on the same contract but gave me $10 more data too so not unhappy. Tethering was OK at a pinch, but I love the independence of having a cellular iPad now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.