Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
vampireszombies
macrumors 6502

Mac Newbie: Where to buy Air from? Parallels? i7?

Okay so I think I've really decided on an Air as my first Mac.

If anyone can fill me in on their experiences with these retailers, it would help alot

At B&H: Fully loaded Air (8GB, 256GB, i7) w/ free Parallels = 1674.99 w/out shipping. 30 day return policy.

at MacMall: Full loaded Air - no parallels = 1654.99 w/shipping.
(does MacMall charge tax?) 14 day return policy.

-Which retailer do you recommend for the best bang for your buck?

- Parallels allows me to run Windows on my Mac, would I need to buy a version of Windows along with it in order to use Parallels? Assuming that I do need a copy of windows, I'd need an optical drive as well.

-Is the i7 bump worth the ~$100? Or would the 8GB 256GB i5 be good enough? Trying to future proof myself a bit, want this Air to last me around 4 years. I don't use many CPU intensive tasks such as gaming, maybe just once and a while.

Thanks for the help
vampireszombies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #2
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

I buy from apple.com. That's easy and you get exactly what you order, not what is left over on someone's shelf. Free shipping but you do pay tax.

I use Parallels as well. You must purchase Windows to install it on your machine. You don't necessarily need to purchase an external optical drive though I have one. If you have another computer on the same wifi network, Windows or Mac - it matters not which, just use that as your wireless optical drive.

I use my Apple drive to burn DVDs on the road otherwise would not need it at all.

Future proof? Max everything now unless your crystal ball tells you precisely what you will need in four years.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
1member1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireszombies View Post
- Parallels allows me to run Windows on my Mac, would I need to buy a version of Windows along with it in order to use Parallels? Assuming that I do need a copy of windows, I'd need an optical drive as well.
Yes you do need copy of windows but you don't really need optical drive.
you can use .iso from microsoft and just activate with your key.

i'm not sure when the last time i used cd :Z
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1member1 View Post
Yes you do need copy of windows but you don't really need optical drive.
you can use .iso from microsoft and just activate with your key.

i'm not sure when the last time i used cd :Z
Those are the ISOs he's referring to:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

They are legal and download straight from Microsoft's servers, so you know they're clean. All you need is a CD-key to activate them.

Parallels offers the option to install from an ISO file. The process is a lot quicker when you do that than from a DVD as well.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:32 PM   #5
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Another factor for consideration with B&H. You get 50% off of AppleCare when you buy with your system. And it was already discounted so its a terrific deal there. I've bought a couple computers and some camera gear from them and they're a standup company. A lens came broken and they overnighted me a replacement next day even though I hadn't sent the broken one back yet.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
vampireszombies
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Those are the ISOs he's referring to:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

They are legal and download straight from Microsoft's servers, so you know they're clean. All you need is a CD-key to activate them.

Parallels offers the option to install from an ISO file. The process is a lot quicker when you do that than from a DVD as well.
Awesome, Thank you for clarifying
vampireszombies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air