Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:22 PM   #101
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiapple View Post
What a great idea...Apple could make a super thin iMac by putting the hard drive, logic board, ram, ect in a separate enclosure that you could put underneath your desk. No need to have an external optical drive cluttering your desk either, it could be included in the separate enclosure.
That would be call a Mac Mini
Lancer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #102
Taluner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclemons View Post
I wonder how long it will take. Mine shipped UPS and shows this:

Anchorage, AK, United States 12/11/2012 9:10 P.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/12/2012 5:12 A.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/11/2012 12:45 P.M. Export Scan
Shanghai, China 12/10/2012 10:50 P.M. Departure Scan
12/10/2012 6:41 P.M. Origin Scan
China 12/10/2012 7:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shows delivery Monday! Damn I wish it were Friday! Customs will probably take forever!!! LOL
I'm in the same exact boat as you. I wish I paid extra for faster shipping, I mean, what's $30 when you're spending $2600... #firstworldproblems
TV 3rd Gen
Taluner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:25 PM   #103
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut Eos View Post
Best advice I got in school was don't put a 2000$ computer on a 20$ table. You don't want your 2000$ computer to break when the table falls apart.

Maybe get a 60$ table...
Best advice I got in school was to put the dollar sign before the figure, not after it.
Mike Valmike is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #104
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valmike View Post
Best advice I got in school was to put the dollar sign before the figure, not after it.
In some countries outside the US that's how it's done.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:34 PM   #105
noahc
macrumors member

Quote:

Shows delivery Monday! Damn I wish it were Friday! Customs will probably take forever!!! LOL
According to a poster on another thread who has a relative who works at UPS, apparently these are actually sitting in Louisville waiting for UPS to process them into the system -- they might get to it today/tonight in which case I think there is a decent chance of Friday delivery. However its also possible that it could wait until any day until Saturday before they're processed.
noahc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #106
Chopper9
macrumors member

"Check out my sweet new iMac!"

"Looks the same as the old iMac."

"Yea, but look at it from the side!"

"Ohhhhhhhh."
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:05 PM   #107
BeejayUK
macrumors newbie

27" UK iMac order

I didn't order mine until about 30 minutes after Apple Store UK began taking details.

I see it says Preparing for Shipment and delivery date is quoted as 27th-28th December.

Will it arrive sooner?

How many days after the Preparing for Shipment notice does it usually take for the Shipped email to appear?
BeejayUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:26 PM   #108
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligomez View Post
Great! Now how bout them new Thunderbolt Displays?
They need more pixels. The MBPR has more pixels than the Thunderbolt display...
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:58 PM   #109
thebiggestapple
macrumors newbie

Geekbench

Has anyone tested the new 27" iMac with Geekbench?
thebiggestapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:33 PM   #110
Hands Sandon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
They need more pixels. The MBPR has more pixels than the Thunderbolt display...
That's because Apple were able to add a lot more pixels and make a display they call "retina". The iPad went the same way. They just kept adding and adding pixels until they maxed out. Once you get to this level of pixel density they become too small to be seen by the human eye, robots do all the work though.

How they do it, I'm really not sure, but it seems that these small iPads and laptops can handle them, and bigger devices, like the 27" iMac, are still a few years away, even for Apple, because they're just so big. The odd thing here is that it's easier to make a really small pixel smaller than a small, but bigger, pixel smaller. We all like to think that all this technology is straight forward and follows logical conclusions that we're accustomed to, but in reality it doesn't. If anyone can reduce the larger pixels, especially those in the 27" iMac, you can be sure Apple will get them onto their iMac's as soon as they can.

Last edited by Hands Sandon; Dec 12, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Hands Sandon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:43 PM   #111
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post
That's because Apple were able to add a lot more pixels and make a display they call "retina". The iPad went the same way. They just kept adding and adding pixels until they maxed out. Once you get to this level of pixel density they become too small to be seen by the human eye, robots do all the work though.

How they do it, I'm really not sure, but it seems that these small iPads and laptops can handle them, and bigger devices, like the 27" iMac, are still a few years away, even for Apple, because they're just so big. The odd thing here is that it's easier to make a really small pixel smaller than a small, but bigger, pixel smaller.
I don't see how this is the cause. I'm not asking for a retina Thunderbolt display, just one that has more pixels than it currently does. It doesn't make sense for Apple's biggest display to have less pixels than some of the smaller displays. If Apple can make a retina 13" screen, they can certainly make a 27" screen with more pixels than they have now.

By the way, it's better to have a 27" magnifying glass aimed at a retina MBP screen than it is to have a 27" Apple display.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:53 PM   #112
Hands Sandon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I don't see how this is the cause. I'm not asking for a retina Thunderbolt display, just one that has more pixels than it currently does. It doesn't make sense for Apple's biggest display to have less pixels than some of the smaller displays. If Apple can make a retina 13" screen, they can certainly make a 27" screen with more pixels than they have now.

By the way, it's better to have a 27" magnifying glass aimed at a retina MBP screen than it is to have a 27" Apple display.
I couldn't agree more about how important "retina" has become, but I think Apple knows this too. I'd certainly welcome more pixels. A x1.5 would have sufficed, instead of the x2 we've been seeing. I would have thought they would find it so much easier with a 27" screen than a 15". These are crazy times.
Hands Sandon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:28 PM   #113
ndriver182
macrumors 6502a

Wonder how long before iFixit has a teardown.....
ndriver182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #114
marconiusrex
macrumors member

Hot desktop!

That new 27" iMac pictured is so sexy....but I think it deserves a sexy new desk...not some old clunky oak thing!
marconiusrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:44 PM   #115
TurdFerguson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TurdFerguson
Such a shame to see a gorgeous iMac on such an ugly ass desk.

Until the color of man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
TurdFerguson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #116
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

It's kind of thick

Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:15 PM   #117
wondermoose
macrumors newbie

Shipment Notification

Ordered November 30 around 10am CST. Original delivery estimate of December 24-30. Current delivery estimate is December 20! One day to enjoy it before the apocalypse!

wondermoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:32 PM   #118
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconiusrex View Post
That new 27" iMac pictured is so sexy....but I think it deserves a sexy new desk...not some old clunky oak thing!
Not from the side, though.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 PM   #119
bmwooden17
macrumors newbie

Mine will get here by Jan. 4. I'm super pumped. Maxed it out to the top! (without Apple's ridiculous $600 price tag for 32 GB of RAM)
bmwooden17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:35 AM   #120
aaggmm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndriver182 View Post
Wonder how long before iFixit has a teardown.....
you will not be happy - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+...ardown/11936/1
chk Step 4
aaggmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:46 AM   #121
aaggmm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggmm View Post
and step 26
The glass and LCD are now fused together, and there are no more magnets holding the glass in place. That means it's heatgun time!

Most replaceable components (like the RAM) are buried behind the logic board, meaning you'll have to take apart most of the iMac just to gain access to them.

Budget-minded folks can no longer add a second hard drive to the base iMac unless they are super-fond of soldering missing proprietary connectors onto the logic board.

You'll have to masterfully peel off the old double-sided sticky tape and apply new tape in order to reseal this iMac into original condition.
aaggmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 AM   #122
NorthApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bketchum View Post
I can see the “iMac Baby Bump” moniker sticking for this version.

Better yet get one of those suction cup held stickers to slap on the glass that reads "Baby on Board."
NorthApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:14 AM   #123
NorthApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Interesting. Looks like mine is the only one reported here being shipped by FedEx instead of UPS. Left Shanghai 12/12/12 and is projected for Monday delivery. (Ironically it is probably right now at the FedEx transport facility located just 3 miles from my house but will require heading on to a customs clearance location thousands of miles further and then being sent back on a plane.)
NorthApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 AM   #124
bmclemons
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to bmclemons Send a message via MSN to bmclemons Send a message via Yahoo to bmclemons Send a message via Skype™ to bmclemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthApple View Post
Interesting. Looks like mine is the only one reported here being shipped by FedEx instead of UPS. Left Shanghai 12/12/12 and is projected for Monday delivery. (Ironically it is probably right now at the FedEx transport facility located just 3 miles from my house but will require heading on to a customs clearance location thousands of miles further and then being sent back on a plane.)
Did you pay for the extra shipping or the standard shipping?
bmclemons is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:00 AM   #125
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
You can see the slim shape from the front. No need to stand to the side or behind (which are common angles to see—but not use—a computer anyway).

To see the slim shape from the front, simply stand up The top shows it just as well as the sides.

Doesn’t matter to everyone, but a desktop computer is a big piece o’ houseware, like a TV or a stool or a lamp or a set of dishes. The way it looks matters—from all angles, and even when not in use.
Where my current iMac is sat, on a desk, in my study, there is no easy way, short of sitting on a desk or window ledge to see it from a side, and from above, well, id have to take the shelving off the wall that holds my books , so its the same formfactor, for all real purposes, as the last iMac to me.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion