Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 AM   #26
bevsb2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursthead View Post

I really think the full size iPad is dying now, and is going to be produced in smaller quantities, possibly becoming a pro series product. I hope for the rest of you guys who are in love with that size and form factor of the regular iPad, they keep it for you.
When the iPad mini has a retina screen, I will reluctantly give up my iPad if the full size is discontinued. I don't think this will happen however as aside from the better resolution, I prefer looking at the larger screen and imagine many others do as well. There is probably more interest in the mini now because it is new and more affordable and the iPad 4 wasn't (in my opinion) a significant upgrade.
bevsb2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
plucky duck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Pretty much the same here, love the form factor and weight but due to resolution in place makes it hard to use in portrait mode. If it has retina I would've kept the mini for sure.

Never had an issue with the iPad 3's weight or size, no urge to ditch it for the iPad 4. Don't feel the bezel is in desperate need of shrinkage like what Apple did with the mini, though I won't be suprised to see it happen down the road.
plucky duck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:00 PM   #28
cardfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
I returned mine for pretty much the same reason. The size and weight is phenomenal, but other than that it's such a mediocre tablet. I couldn't get past the fact that my iPhone 5 had an A6 processor and retina display, but my portable computer didn't...
The iphone 5 costs twice as much as well off contract. Like another said earlier, the ipad mini was made cheaply to sell to the masses.
cardfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:08 PM   #29
trevpimp1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If the ipad mini had a retina with atleast an A6 then I wouldve gotten the mini.... even if it was the same price as the Ipad 3 that i got for $549

Plus i prefer the larger screen so i can function apps better.
trevpimp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:38 PM   #30
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816
 
joshwithachance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
The iphone 5 costs twice as much as well off contract. Like another said earlier, the ipad mini was made cheaply to sell to the masses.
This is very true. For the price, the mini is pretty good, but no retina OR A6 is disheartening.
__________________
13.3" rMBP paired with 27" ASUS MX279H monitor.
OnePlus One (Sandstone, 64GB)
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:34 PM   #31
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.

Well the design IS and thats all I needed, I don't notice the retina anymore on my mini, but I do notice the design evertime I pick it up. As im sure you notice the design and weight of your 4 everytime you pick up your fatpad.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha

Sad.

I bought the mini with a $50 discount, i'll use it, when the mini retina comes out, i'll sell the mini and get that. Probably won't lose any money and get the full enjoyment of both.
walmartmartyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:47 PM   #32
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I have to believe you're being sarcastic, because I can't imagine that anyone considers the iPad 4 a POS.


Honestly, if you really are "all about high performance" you wouldn't trade the 4 for the Mini just because 3/4 of a pound. It just sounds like you're only about moderate power.
When you say 3/4 of a pound it makes it seem a lot less of a difference than what it actually is in reality.

iPad mini is less than half the weight, which is a big deal because people complain about how HEAVY the iPad 3/4 is compared to the iPad 2.

Half the weight is a big deal, portability is a big deal. Just because you don't see/want/need the benefits of a more portable form factor doesn't mean a thing. Many people want it.
Lindsford is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 PM   #33
OdT22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision.
'Everyone' is a really strong word. Blanket claims suck out loud.

The mini and the 4 are both outstanding products.

What could you possibly know about 'everyone'?

I recently chose the 4 over my mini. It just fit my hands a little better, and owning both at once didn't match my frugal-ish mindset. Nothing more. No justifications. No other complaints or comparisons. Both units rocked IMO.

The whining & infighting is epic...
OdT22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 PM   #34
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I purchased the Black 64GB Mini and the Black 64GB iPad 4 with Retina display.
After playing with both for a couple of days the mini went back for a full refund.

I do love the mini but I'll just wait a few more months and purchase it again when it has the retina display and faster processor.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 PM   #35
calibrad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Nice mini review...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7...-and-counting/
calibrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:41 PM   #36
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
The elephant in the room is that if the mini were retina, almost everyone would buy the mini. I suspect this fact was not lost on Apple markertng savants. To me, the high retail price was a statement about how confident they are in the appeal of the mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
I purchased the Black 64GB Mini and the Black 64GB iPad 4 with Retina display. After playing with both for a couple of days the mini went back for a full refund.
Nothing wasteful about that. I mean if apple's restocking policy allows this kind of consumer behavior, you really can't blame the consumer for being a total a-ho
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #37
OdT22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post
The elephant in the room is that if the mini were retina, almost everyone would buy the mini.
Meh. Some of us bought & used both in order to make our decisions.

I like both units and find all complaints about screen or weight as adolescent. Doesnt mean any or either lack merit, but thats sure how they read.

The ipad should evolve, and we should welcome any expansion of the platform IMO. A 15" retina Pro iPad with USB and 'Finder" would sit well with me. A mini with whatever display would also be pretty cool mountainside at 10k'. I hope they make 10 models someday, instead of just 2. More is better.
OdT22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 PM   #38
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
The keyboard on the ipad4 is still too small.

I'm glad i don't have a mini, irrespective of anything else, be it retina, cpu, etc.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 PM   #39
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I would love a 15" ipad with --say--4 hour battery life. Sort of a desktop tablet for design, etc, but not super heavy

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
The keyboard on the ipad4 is still too small.

I'm glad i don't have a mini, irrespective of anything else, be it retina, cpu, etc.
minority report

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdT22 View Post
Meh. Some of us bought & used both in order to make our decisions.
sorry--totally not down with the buy to try behavior here
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:36 PM   #40
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post

minority report

----------

not currently a UI option.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 PM   #41
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdT22 View Post
Meh. Some of us bought & used both in order to make our decisions.

I like both units and find all complaints about screen or weight as adolescent. Doesnt mean any or either lack merit, but thats sure how they read.

The ipad should evolve, and we should welcome any expansion of the platform IMO. A 15" retina Pro iPad with USB and 'Finder" would sit well with me. A mini with whatever display would also be pretty cool mountainside at 10k'. I hope they make 10 models someday, instead of just 2. More is better.
http://www.modbookshop.com/mbi-bto-mbpa.html
Lindsford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:59 PM   #42
OdT22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post
sorry--totally not down with the buy to try behavior here
Agreed for clarity.

Sold the ipad mini to a family member who couldn't/wouldn't find one on her own. No retail return policies were used or abused.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
Thanks. Gonna have to wait for Apple to make that more affordable. yikes
OdT22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:17 AM   #43
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Can't Apple just buy cintique already. Its 2012, this is 10+ year old tech. Makes me crazy.
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:40 AM   #44
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
How do we survive on anything no retina? I hope the only things we use are retina MacBook pros and 4k TVs
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #45
bevsb2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Talking

[QUOTE=walmartmartyr;16488222]everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha QUOTE]

I have the iPad 4 and am not trying to justify anything. I love it.

I would also like to have the mini if I could get past the screen. Not as an iPad 4 replacement, but as a fun, take on the go device. I'll probably get one later when it does have a retina screen.
bevsb2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:43 AM   #46
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
When you say 3/4 of a pound it makes it seem a lot less of a difference than what it actually is in reality.

iPad mini is less than half the weight, which is a big deal because people complain about how HEAVY the iPad 3/4 is compared to the iPad 2.

Half the weight is a big deal, portability is a big deal. Just because you don't see/want/need the benefits of a more portable form factor doesn't mean a thing. Many people want it.
Weight and portability are subjective, but there is no way you can claim to be all about high performance AND choose the Mini over th iPad 4.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:18 AM   #47
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.

Well the design IS and thats all I needed, I don't notice the retina anymore on my mini, but I do notice the design evertime I pick it up. As im sure you notice the design and weight of your 4 everytime you pick up your fatpad.

im sure you say in the back of your mind "if only the mini was retina, I would LOVE to have one of those" haha

Sad.

I bought the mini with a $50 discount, i'll use it, when the mini retina comes out, i'll sell the mini and get that. Probably won't lose any money and get the full enjoyment of both.
lol! actually, it looks to me like you are trying to justify why you have the mini!!! I had one and returned it for the 4 and I have no need to justify it. the 4 is far and away the superior tablet.. i guess if we are gonna give them names, the mini is the "batpad" because you would have to be as blind as one to enjoy using it....

Last edited by bigboar; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
bigboar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #48
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlypeace View Post
I ordered the mini and used it for about a week and a half. Initially I loved the form factor, but I realised it also had some issues. For example typing in landscape more while not bad size wise is much more annoying visually, in terms of not being able to see the keys you are typing on. Compared with the full size iPad, there is a big issue here with ease of typing. I love typing on the touch screen, and the big iPad I think I'm faster than on a physical keyboard, but the mini I found it was definitely more awkward due to not being able to see the keys as easily through cramped hands.

Then there was the major issue, screen sharpness/resolution. I tried to overlook this for a few days, and not having a retina iPad before I though I would be ok with it. But as I used it I kept noticing the pixels and blurriness more and more. Especially on viewing the web in portrait mode. How annoying I thought, as a device this compact MUST have RETINA, for the text to be comfortable to view. I mean It is still small in portrait view on the full sized iPad, so in my view it becomes too annoying to use for web browsing in portrait. Yes of course you can turn and use in landscape, but should there be this compromise? I didn't like have a device which was essentially useless for web browsing in portrait and being forced to go landscape. Ive heard some people got round this by overriding the font size in portrait, but that would have some deforming effects to web pages.

No, no, the solution to this IS retina. And when I thought about how the iPhone 5 is smaller than the mini but has retina, and how the big iPad is larger, and has retina, the more it was annoying.

I understand maybe apple were limited somewhat by the form factor they wanted to put out, and it is amazing, but it really, really, has to have retina when it is this compact.

Having said that, Im not sure retina mini will work for me either though. There will still be the issue of cramped and harder to view typing even in landscape, and even when very sharp in portrait the size may be too small to be a comfortable experience.

I ended up returning the mini, and paying a little extra on black friday for an iPad 4. And wo, amazing screen, and due to my previous expectation I was shocked at how light the 4 was lol. When I lifted it out of the box it literally shot up as I had prepared myself for something ridiculously heavy. In reality there is not that much difference between the 2 and 4. After a few days use I would say it is notcible, but really not terrible.
well said.
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM   #49
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
well said.
I will second that about his post.

I do not think I am going out on a limb in stating that folk will turn around a mini faster than with the 4.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:33 AM   #50
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post
everyone that chose a 4 over a mini is on here trying to justify their decision. This helps them cope with their decision. They want the mini, but can't live with the fact that the tech is not cutting edge.
Really? So I guess I must be justifying my decision to buy the iPad 4 when I bought the iPad Mini FIRST and then returned it and bought the iPad 4.
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 209 Jul 15, 2014 09:33 AM
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 09:53 AM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC