Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:39 PM   #26
kamalds
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I have note 2 and iPhone 5. I must say some of the Android features work like magic (wifi device to device transfer, USB mass storage mode and so on).

I love my iPhone. Don't get me wrong but there are some features that I know we, iOS users will never see.
__________________
Computers: Vaio Z with Sandisk 256GB SSD, ThinkPad X120e, Vaio P, iPad 1st gen.
Phones: Galaxy S4 octa-core version, Lumia 1320, Lumia 630 dual sim variant
kamalds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Axious
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Somewhere in the world
After using those big Android phones and looking back at the iphone i wonder how did i live with a phone so small
Axious is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:44 PM   #28
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgedi77 View Post
Really? Then how did it manage to sell 5 million units in 3 days?
The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man02 View Post
Meh. You can't see the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen. Hell, I couldn't even see it on my old 32" and 42" LCDs. You need to go up to 50" and above to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.
You can't see the pixels above a density of about 300ppi. So, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
You must have extremely long arms to use your iPhone from 20 feet away.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axious View Post
After using those big Android phones and looking back at the iphone i wonder how did i live with a phone so small
Same here.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:45 PM   #29
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.
Wow, getting a bit off topic, but I think Windows 7 is actually pretty good, a leap forward from XP and Vista, and I prefer it to practically any iteration of OS X.

Seriously dude, is there any product you don't crap on?
burgundyyears is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyyears View Post
Wow, getting a bit off topic, but I think Windows 7 is actually pretty good, a leap forward from XP and Vista, and I prefer it to practically any iteration of OS X.

Seriously dude, is there any product you don't crap on?
He's just doing what he does best: trying to rile people up. Some people need that.
chambone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Duff-Man02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

You must have extremely long arms to use your iPhone from 20 feet away.[COLOR="#808080"]
What does this have to do with anything? Hold your Phone directly before your eyes: above 300ppi you can't see any pixels and on such a small screen you cannot tell the difference between 720p, 1080p 4k or whatever. The TVs were meant as examples to show that even on screens way beyond 4"/5"/6" it is not possible to tell whether you have a 1080p video or 720p one. At the end, it's all down to pixel density and you can have a gazilion ppi and you still wouldn't be able to relish them all.
Duff-Man02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:55 PM   #32
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
OP is ga-ga over stylus.

I remember the palms, the PDAs, people lose their stylus, this was 20 years ago, then they disappeared. I think there must be a reason.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:57 PM   #33
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man02 View Post
What does this have to do with anything? Hold your Phone directly before your eyes: above 300ppi you can't see any pixels and on such a small screen you cannot tell the difference between 720p, 1080p 4k or whatever.
Because you compared smartphones to windscreen TVs, that's why.

That's because you only have a 3.5/4 inch screen and because the iPhone doesn't have it. Android users have the option of much larger screens where the increase to 1080p can be readily seen.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:59 PM   #34
Duff-Man02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Because you compared smartphones to windscreen TVs, that's why.

That's because you only have a 3.5/4 inch screen and because the iPhone doesn't have it. Android users have the option of much larger screens where the increase to 1080p can be readily seen.
Sigh. As mentioned: you can't even see it on a 32" LCD (20ft away, 2ft away... doesn't make a difference). When there's a phone with a 50" screen, I'll buy it to take advantage of full HD. Anyway, you're trollin'.
Duff-Man02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #35
ericgedi77
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
[QUOTE=SomeDudeAsking;16475924]The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.[COLOR="#808080"]

Pretty presumptuous of you to call people you don't know sheep, but based on your replies in this thread it appears that your main goal is to get your jollies off.

Go troll else where.
ericgedi77 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:04 PM   #36
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man02 View Post
Sigh. As mentioned: you can't even see it on a 32" LCD (20ft away, 2ft away... doesn't make a difference). When there's a phone with a 50" screen, I'll buy it to take advantage of full HD. Anyway, you're trollin'.
I can clearly tell the pixelation difference between a 720p TV and a 1080p TV from arms length away. You may want to get your eyes checked. It is actually you who is doing your so called deed by saying there is no difference between 720p and 1080p.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:06 PM   #37
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
another iPhone vs Android comparison. Nobody cares. Stop making these threads.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:09 PM   #38
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
[QUOTE=ericgedi77;16476091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.[COLOR="#808080"]

Pretty presumptuous of you to call people you don't know sheep, but based on your replies in this thread it appears that your main goal is to get your jollies off.

Go troll else where.
Not my problem if you don't like the momentum effect. Sheep following sheep is just another way of saying that people were buying the iPhone 5 because others around them were, just like with Windows 7.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #39
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
[QUOTE=SomeDudeAsking;16476141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgedi77 View Post

Not my problem if you don't like the momentum effect. Sheep following sheep is just another way of saying that people were buying the iPhone 5 because others around them were, just like with Windows 7.
Considering iPhones are reliable and have several free ways to communicate between each other why not buy one? iPhones are popular because it doesn't take any kind of tech knowledge to use them. Almost any problem can be solved by a restore/reset or a quick trip/mail to Apple. Many people also use iTunes and have bought songs from there. Android just isn't appealing to them. If it was android that was popular you wouldn't be saying anything about "sheep". You would say "consumers making the right choice"
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #40
iPhaithful
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
People are going to keep asking for bigger screens until the line between tablet and phone is smeared. Jeeze, personally I think the iPhone 5 has a great screen size. I don't watch video like that and barely play games. I'm an adult with a full time job and other demanding obligations. If I wanted a gaming device to watch movies on, I would have bought a Vita or DS.
__________________
Adamantium coated iPhone 5 -1TB
iPhaithful is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:21 PM   #41
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
[QUOTE=tymaster50;16476191]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

Considering iPhones are reliable and have several free ways to communicate between each other why not buy one? iPhones are popular because it doesn't take any kind of tech knowledge to use them. Almost any problem can be solved by a restore/reset or a quick trip/mail to Apple. Many people also use iTunes and have bought songs from there. Android just isn't appealing to them. If it was android that was popular you wouldn't be saying anything about "sheep". You would say "consumers making the right choice"
Android is more popular the iPhone.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:21 PM   #42
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlypeace View Post
maybe jonny Ive will revamp iOS, but with the boring and basic iOS, and the tiny iPhone screen, apple are really out of touch I think, and most people continuing to use the iPhone just now are somewhat hypnotised by apple
Is this really necessary to get your point accross?

I understand you have a certain preference, but to criticize people who dont agree with you is really just going to make all your other points moot and put readers on the defensive.

I happen to think Android is a cluttered mess and love the cleanliness and seamlessnes of iOS. I also happen to think the Note is totally stupid and way to big to be practical as a phone..... But thats my personal opinion and I wont knock anyone who chooses to like it or use one.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:31 PM   #43
nefan65
macrumors 65816
 
nefan65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
[QUOTE=SomeDudeAsking;16476260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post

Android is more popular the iPhone.
You can spin it that way. Popular, or just more widely available because of cheap phones, and BOGO deals? I know several people who have Android devices because they got a free phone, not because they felt it was better than an iPhone; their words not mine.
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac, 2.0/4GB | MacbookAir 1.7 i7/8GB | iPhone 5/16GB
nefan65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #44
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
[QUOTE=nefan65;16476352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

You can spin it that way. Popular, or just more widely available because of cheap phones, and BOGO deals? I know several people who have Android devices because they got a free phone, not because they felt it was better than an iPhone; their words not mine.
Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality is that Android is more popular.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:35 PM   #45
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
[QUOTE=SomeDudeAsking;16476361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post

Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality is that Android is more popular.
Android phones are just more numerous. They are in no way more "popular" than Apple's iPhone. I haven't heard of people standing in line for android phones but iPhones are regularly sold out even months after their launch. Especially around this christmas season. That's really the only reason Apple's market share is smaller, because androids are more available and they are dirt cheap.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:41 PM   #46
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
[QUOTE=tymaster50;16476389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

Android phones are just more numerous. They are in no way more "popular" than Apple's iPhone. I haven't heard of people standing in line for android phones but iPhones are regularly sold out even months after their launch. Especially around this christmas season. That's really the only reason Apple's market share is smaller, because androids are more available and they are dirt cheap.
Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality numbers say Android is top. 90+ % market share in China.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:46 PM   #47
nefan65
macrumors 65816
 
nefan65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
[QUOTE=SomeDudeAsking;16476361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post

Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality is that Android is more popular.
You should look up the definition of popular. Not what you think it is...but then again, I'm arguing with a troll.
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac, 2.0/4GB | MacbookAir 1.7 i7/8GB | iPhone 5/16GB
nefan65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #48
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Post No. 38:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Nobody cares.
CoMoMacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #49
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
If you want a bigger phone then here you go

http://androidcommunity.com/huawei-a...exec-20121205/

Now enjoy and good riddance
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #50
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
If you want a bigger phone then here you go

http://androidcommunity.com/huawei-a...exec-20121205/

Now enjoy and good riddance
I'm waiting for the Galaxy Note 3 which should alsohave a 6+ inch screen. I have a Galaxy Note 2 right now but it is beginning to feel small with all the new flagships coming out.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your experience/thoughts about the G drive Serban Mac Peripherals 3 Apr 22, 2013 08:15 PM
Small speck under iPhone 5's screen Cockney Rebel iPhone 31 Nov 21, 2012 06:37 PM
Small iPhone 5 screen scratch choffy iPhone 3 Nov 2, 2012 02:03 PM
Some thoughts on the iPhone 5 Screen Jman13 iPhone 0 Sep 21, 2012 02:53 PM
tablets: Thoughts on the Nexus 7 - My experience so far... taeclee99 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 216 Aug 4, 2012 03:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC