Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
i got the iPhone 5 but really apple, the width on this thing is still too small.

Im thinking they will release two versions of the 6, going from rumours.

iphone 6 4 inch - iphone 6 XL 4.5"

this way they won't be too embarrassed about this whole 3.5/4 inch being the perfect thumb size

personally I think this is ideal and what I want in a mobile device;

maximum size that will fit in a pocket, which means big screen, even if you have to use both hands

I had the note 1 as I thought samsung are really fulfilling tech dreams, and then also just bought the note 2, and wow.

samsung is blowing apple out of the water with the galaxy note 2

maybe jonny Ive will revamp iOS, but with the boring and basic iOS, and the tiny iPhone screen, apple are really out of touch I think, and most people continuing to use the iPhone just now are somewhat hypnotised by apple

jellybean and project butter has really level the field between smoothness. This used to be very annoying on android, but now if I swipe between screens on the note 2 and do it on the iPhone, they are both just as silky smooth. note 2 has a quad core processor

the only thing the iPhone has in its favour just now is being able to use with none hand. But most people have two, and I can actually use the note 2 with one hand with a little acrobatics and I have small hands

also, the PEN! lol - always wanted a stylus and this is wacom digitiser with 1024 pressure sensitivity. I can't see apple ever doing this, but its the kind of thing Ive always wanted in a computer, samsung are making tech dreams come true. I think apple are still stuck with steve's "it has to be one handed used" dictate, and it has to be only finger usage

but the pen is sooooooooo cool. you can even control things without touching the screen with it - and samsung has now allowed true multi tasking by being able to run two different apps on the screen at the same time, pop up note taking and video while running other apps.

Oh man - apple need to do a serious rethink - maybe if they do a iPhone XL for those who want a larger screen, and improve iOS, however I can't see them ever incorporating a stylus - I think its so long to iPhone for me, sad in a way, but I still have the iPad.

galaxy note 2 just blows iPhone and all other phones and mobile devices out of the water in my view

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I don't have a pre-bias here either

I currently have an iPhone 4 and 5 and galaxy note 1 and 2 - although I will be selling 3 of them soon

my first smart phone was the iPhone 3G - then 4, then note, then 5, then note 2

having used and compared them all note 2 really is almost the perfect all round pocketable mobile computer / phone

especially as samsung got rid of the pentile screen, it is much sharper and whiter. - and the improved smoothness to android.

we shall have to see what jonny Ive does with iOS, but apple really need to up their game. its good they have serious competition now.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your internal thoughts and rationalizations with the entire MR community. This is an issue that has never been discussed before. Enjoy your larger-than-4-inch-screen phone. :rolleyes:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
having used and compared them all note 2 really is almost the perfect all round pocketable mobile computer / phone

Every one has different needs and requirements. I'm glad you like the Note 2, but for me, it is no where near the "perfect" phone.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Do you have one for work and one for personal use?

Other than that, why would you have two cell phones??

The decision on a cell phone should be mostly on your own personal preference. A 5.5 inch screen on a smartphone? That is just too big and cumbersome for me.

I actually reduced size when I went from the Droid X/HTC Thunderbolt to the iPhone 5. It took a little getting used to, but now its fine. I don't watch many movies or youtube on my phone, so screen size wasn't a huge factor for me. I use my iPad for that kind of stuff.

I love my iPhone 5 for what I need and use it for.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
always wanted a stylus and this is wacom digitiser with 1024 pressure sensitivity. I can't see apple ever doing this

Let's hope you're right. I already have a wacom pad at home. The less stuff that I'll never use is on my phone, the better.

And the note 2 doesn't blow anything out of the water, simply because it's comically huge. I'd feel like people are staring if I were to call with it in public.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
If opinions are like B-holes...

Then stating your opinion is like a fart.

You sir, just cleared the room with that long-winded (pun intended) opinion post.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
maybe jonny Ive will revamp iOS, but with the boring and basic iOS, and the tiny iPhone screen, apple are really out of touch I think, and most people continuing to use the iPhone just now are somewhat hypnotised by apple

People who use the iPhone are hypnotized by apple because you don't like it? The iPhone works perfectly for most of us on this site since we are smart enough to know that a "smartPHONE" is for texting and making calls (with some browsing and app use when we are bored) and an iPad is for everything else. Why do i need a 5.5" phone that can barely fit in a pocket when there is an ipad with an 7.9" or a 9.7" screen.

Enjoy your phone but just because you dont like something doesnt mean that others are hypnotized by it. Also most people arnt going to switch because android is the new "cool" thing. Everything i need my smartphone to do can be done on the iPhone.

Its all personal preference.

And please can we stop with the damn threads about screen size.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think Apple could go the way of RIM. They won't change until their nuts are in a vice. Continuing to sell millions of iPhones and making billions isn't exactly a motivating force for change.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
i got the iPhone 5 but really apple, the width on this thing is still too small...galaxy note 2 just blows iPhone and all other phones and mobile devices out of the water in my view

...yawn...
So vote with your wallet and buy what works better for you.
This whole subject has been beaten to death with dozens of threads just like yours. You don't like the size. Others do. The good news is that you have choices.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
...yawn...
So vote with your wallet and buy what works better for you.
This whole subject has been beaten to death with dozens of threads just like yours. You don't like the size. Others do. The good news is that you have choices.

Agreed, I've never understood these...

Apple "tricked" me into buying a smaller phone
Apple should be "embarrassed" by the screen size on their phone
the iPhone "needs" an x" screen to stay competitive
Apple is "screwing" customers with the new phone
Apple "forced" me to upgrade

Apparently personal choice has gone the way of reading comprehension, ability to use google and ability to use the phone.

nephlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I think that the screen is pretty optimal. To increase the size is pretty much covering every dimension haha.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
A lot of people disagree with you and still gladly and proudly use their iPhone. You'll never find me envious of the larger smart phones. I like the size of my 4S. It's compact, it looks nice and it works. And I don't look like I have a tablet up to my ear.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Im thinking they will release two versions of the 6, going from rumours.
Going from rumors all sorts of things are coming... :rolleyes:

samsung is blowing apple out of the water with the galaxy note 2
From what I've seen the Note 2 sold 5 million in 2 months. The iPhone 5 sold 5 million in 3 days. "Blowing out of the water" doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

apple are really out of touch I think, and most people continuing to use the iPhone just now are somewhat hypnotised by apple
So far your OP's convincing me that you're hypnotized by Samsung.

Selecting a smartphone is a subjective matter just as it has always been. Just because people don't agree with your particular needs/wants doesn't mean that they're "hypnotized". Use whatever works for you. Don't assume that what works for you is universal though.

Duff-Man02

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
What you don't like, you don't buy.
For me I can say that wouldn't buy a phone with a larger screen than the iPhone 5's. I want my phone to fit in my pocket. I want to be able to use it with one hand. I want a phone and not a second iPad (mini). Besides, iPhone 5 has a 16:9 ratio which makes it perfect for video on-the-go.
And concerning fluidity: I think Apple still has an edge on competitors. I checked out a few Galaxies and noted some lags. The iPhone has none.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The iPhone 5 screen is much too small and is a dud. If you follow smartphone product launch news for the upcoming year, you will see all the flagship models now have 1080p 5 inch screens with a 441 dpi super retina display. Meanwhile, Apple can't adapt and is a sitting rock while every other company innovates.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
The iPhone 5 screen is much too small and is a dud. If you follow smartphone product launch news for the upcoming year, you will see all the flagship models now have 1080p 5 inch screens with a 441 dpi super retina display. Meanwhile, Apple can't adapt and is a sitting rock while every other company innovates.

Saying that it's too small is fine and that's your opinion, but saying it's a "dud" is just flat out wrong.

Most tech sites that I've seen say it has the overall BEST screen of any smartphone.

ericgedi77

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011

Really? Then how did it manage to sell 5 million units in 3 days?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Really? Then how did it manage to sell 5 million units in 3 days?

They were hyponitized. sigh.

----------

Do you think some of the people who "need" a bigger iPhone are compensating for something else not being big enough?

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
also, the PEN! lol - always wanted a stylus and this is wacom digitiser with 1024 pressure sensitivity. I can't see apple ever doing this, but its the kind of thing Ive always wanted in a computer, samsung are making tech dreams come true. I think apple are still stuck with steve's "it has to be one handed used" dictate, and it has to be only finger usage

but the pen is sooooooooo cool. you can even control things without touching the screen with it - and samsung has now allowed true multi tasking by being able to run two different apps on the screen at the same time, pop up note taking and video while running other apps.

ohboyastylus.jpg

Oh boy, a stylus!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
They were hyponitized. sigh.

----------

Do you think some of the people who "need" a bigger iPhone are compensating for something else not being big enough?

Apple Apple Apple can't you see
Sometimes your words just hypnotize me
And I just love your flashy ways
Guess that's why they broke, and you're so paid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.