Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
macairlin
macrumors newbie

Logic board corrosion for 4 month old MacBook Air

I bought the MacBook Air in August and suddenly it stopped working. I brought it back to Apple Store and was told it was liquid damage and need $750 to get it repaired. I paid extra to get MacBook Air instead of Windows Laptop and now it is crazy to find out Apple will not repair it under 1 year warranty. I never had liquid spilled. I attached pictures from Apple Store. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple_case.png
Views:	81
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	383085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple_logicboard.png
Views:	120
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	383086  
macairlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
iDutchman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macairlin View Post
I bought the MacBook Air in August and suddenly it stopped working. I brought it back to Apple Store and was told it was liquid damage and need $750 to get it repaired. I paid extra to get MacBook Air instead of Windows Laptop and now it is crazy to find out Apple will not repair it under 1 year warranty. I never had liquid spilled. I attached pictures from Apple Store. Please help.
Well, the picture shows liquid damage. If you are sure you didn't spill anything on the device, maybe someone else did? Because there's no other explanation for such corrosion. Apple does not have to fix devices when it's not their fault they were exposed to liquid damage, right? That's the owner's responsibility.

Last thing that can be done, but it looks very damaged, is to clean it off with 99% alcohol. I've brought some macs back to life after similar damage.

Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

If you triggered the sensors then it's not covered under warranty. That odd blob isn't a natural feature of an MBA.

AppleCare is an excellent warranty that covers premature failure or manufacturing defects.

No manufacture covers liquid damage to their PCs.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
53x12
macrumors 68000

That is too bad but as others have said not Apple's fault.

If you don't feel it is worth spending $750 to fix it, you could consider taking the whole computer apart and selling off the parts that still work and are not damaged? Not sure how much you could recoup on eBay/CL but might be an option. Or see if home owners/renters insurance will cover it. Mine does.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Ur only salvation is u paid for it via AMEX or a Premium VISA with an accidental damage coverage.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
macairlin
macrumors newbie

This is my first Mac and I used over 5 Windows based laptops and never had this issue before, not even mentioned I paid extra because it is Apple. I am very disappointing with Apple product. With other brand laptops, there is an option to buy extended warranty which covers accidental damage, but that is not an option for Apple.
macairlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Johnny Alien
macrumors member

I know that some stores offer warranties that cover accidental damage but I don't know of any manufacturers that do.
Johnny Alien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

What is the composition of the blob?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 PM   #9
micrors4racer
macrumors 6502

Thats a very strange spot. What is the blob made out of? That is obviously not liquid damage like something was spilled on it as the rest of the board is really clean. I would try to escalate this case if possible because the first picture shows the underside of the keyboard (which is basically sealed to help prevent damage incase of spills hence the black plastic) and there is some weird substance which obviously isn't free flowing like liquid but instead in a grease like state which the owner would not have been able to put into that specific area.

Even if there was a spill you would be able to see where the spill entered the laptop usually and from the looks of the surrounding area on the board and the underside of the top case there was no spill. Maybe a disgruntled worker put his booger in it during assembly?
micrors4racer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 PM   #10
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macairlin View Post
This is my first Mac and I used over 5 Windows based laptops and never had this issue before, not even mentioned I paid extra because it is Apple. I am very disappointing with Apple product. With other brand laptops, there is an option to buy extended warranty which covers accidental damage, but that is not an option for Apple.

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air