Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chschn87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I just purchased a mac air and don't see myself needing this machine anymore. The specs are: 2009 13" MBP 2.26 Ghz 2gb RAM 160gb HD. Originally, I was going to upgrade the MBP with RAM AND SSD. I already purchased 8gb RAM that is being delivered at the end of the week. I'm curious if I should also purchase a 256gb SSD and install that before I sell.

So, let's say I'm selling my computer in a large city on craigslist. Can anyone give me some pricing advice? I have 3 options: sell as is, sell with 8gb ram, or sell with 8gb and 256 ssd. Any and all advice is really appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say.....

the base config can go for $450-500. Add $ 50 for the RAM-only upgrade and $ $330 for the SSD-RAM upgrade combo. All prices will be tops, because CL is prone to lowballers. So maybe you will to downgrade the asking price. AppleCare remaining, no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machine also can help to go up in the price.

Anyway, take care in CL. Too many scammers....:eek::(

:):apple:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Don't bother upgrading if selling on Craigslist. Most buyers on craigslist don't understand the difference between a mechanical hard drive vs SSD. What they do know the difference of is that someone else with the same Macbook Pro is selling it for $200 less....

Better to be price competitive than hardware competitive.

chschn87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
the base config can go for $450-500. Add $ 50 for the RAM-only upgrade and $ $330 for the SSD-RAM upgrade combo. All prices will be tops, because CL is prone to lowballers. So maybe you will to downgrade the asking price. AppleCare remaining, no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machine also can help to go up in the price.

Anyway, take care in CL. Too many scammers....:eek::(

:):apple:

Thanks! As a comparison (maybe?) Last week I sold my 2007 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHZ 2gb RAM / 160gb HD for $300 on craigslist.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just purchased a mac air and don't see myself needing this machine anymore. The specs are: 2009 13" MBP 2.26 Ghz 2gb RAM 160gb HD. Originally, I was going to upgrade the MBP with RAM AND SSD. I already purchased 8gb RAM that is being delivered at the end of the week. I'm curious if I should also purchase a 256gb SSD and install that before I sell.

So, let's say I'm selling my computer in a large city on craigslist. Can anyone give me some pricing advice? I have 3 options: sell as is, sell with 8gb ram, or sell with 8gb and 256 ssd. Any and all advice is really appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

I'd do the RAM upgrade and maybe spend $50 for a bump to whatever hard drive $50 will buy you. Beyond that and you probably won't make much money in addition to what you have there.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

A few weeks ago I sold my 2009 15" MBP 3.06 C2D/4GB RAM/500GB HDD for $800 on CL. Completed listings on eBay ranged any where from high $500s all the way to mid $800s. My computer was in mint condition. Do I wish I got more for it? Sure. But the computer is 3 years old now and C2D is old technology. Just have to be happy with what you can get for it. As others mentioned, CL low balls. Price is the bottom line there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.