Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foundito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hello all,

My iMac was running slow after a short power cut. I tried disconnecting some external hard drives but the problem consisted. I run he Disk Utility, Verify... it found some problems on my Startup Disk and adviced me to Repair the Disk by inserting the DVD and run Disk Utility from there. This I cannot do as my DVD driver is broken and does not read anything.

I restarted in Safe Mode and run the Disk Utility

Then I tried to erase empty space of aprox 200GB(god knows why). I did the quick version of this action. After about an hour the progress bar did not move at all plus I was geting messages that there is no empty space on my startup disk.

So I tried t skip but the procedure wouldn't stop.

So I force quit, but then I am left with no empty space on my Disk, literally 0KB available. I started looking for the temporary file to delete it, meanwhile I did create some empty space by deleting some temporary files.

I then tried to restart...but I CAN"T. The white screen appears plus a bottom progress bar, as if I'm starting in Safe Mode again, then the iMac shuts down on itself.

I realise this is because of the lack of empty space, or the fact that indeed my startup disk is corrupted...or both

The current situation is that I am unable to start my iMac and I cannot do any work. Remember that my DVD driver does not read any DVD's or CD's.

Is there any way that I can fix this on my own, or should I go for professional help?

I operate Snow Leopard 10.6.8, have 1TB Hd for a startup and 16GB of Memory RAM

thank you all in advance

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Not to be captain obvious, but can you restore from a backup? Does a backup exist? Please tell me you didn't try this without a backup available...

Sounds like you're going to need some help with this.

foundito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I do have a Mac book pro at hand...

awaiting instructions (detailed if possible as I am a rookie) in how to use the Mac book pro to access the iMac startup or something

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I do have a Mac book pro at hand...

awaiting instructions (detailed if possible as I am a rookie) in how to use the Mac book pro to access the iMac startup or something

There are plenty of places that describe it in detail via Google. But it's really easy, connect your computers together via Firewire only. Have the Macbook already turned on, then turn on the iMac while holding "T" down. The iMac should boot up and just show a firewire symbol.

At this point you should see your iMac drive show up on your Macbook Pro's desktop. Then do a restore via your TimeMachine backup, or disk repair, or whatever you want.

EDIT: Target mode only works with a Firewire cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.