Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo yesterday released an update for its iOS mail app, and today the company is continuing with its product revamp, launching an updated version of its Flickr iPhone app.
That's why we're excited to introduce a redesigned Flickr app for iPhone and iPod touch, making it easier than ever to capture, share, and discover beautiful photos - all from the palm of your hand. This latest app also includes many of the best Flickr.com features, including editing and managing your photos, making them accessible wherever you are. Because we store your photos in full resolution, they'll be crisp and clear even when you zoom in on the smallest details.

We built the app with sharing in mind - whether by email, with the Flickr community, or your favorite social network. We've worked hard with our partners to make sure your pictures are displayed beautifully on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr.
The new Flickr app features a long awaited redesign, with clean, simple lines and big photo thumbnails, which makes browsing through photos a pleasant experience.

There's also an included camera, which allows for photo taking within the app, and a set of 16 filters that can be used to apply retro effects to photos, much like Instagram and the newly updated Twitter app. You can also crop and enhance with the built-in photo editor.

flickr-500x293.jpg

Sharing tools have been enhanced, adding the ability to share photos simultaneously with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or email. Full Groups capabilities, which were previously reserved for the web version of Flickr can now be found in the app.

Most impressively, viewing photos is a much improved experience, with a landscape mode full screen view and pinch-to-zoom tools.

Flickr for the iPhone is a free app and can be downloaded from the App Store.

Article Link: Flickr App Gets Redesign and New Filters

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
What is the deal with all of this filter c°°°. Very few pro photographers can pull of what the filters strive to emulate, let alone Joe public. Very few pictures do not come out far worse with a filter applied, which makes me question why anyone uses them...

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Flickr starting to decline...

Flickr filters, eh? One more reason for me not to renew a subscription with them.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Flickr has been way too static and irrelevant nowadays. I like it but unfortunately I don't know anyone else who uses it really.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I like Flickr, and am glad it doesn't have a user base like, Instagram lets say. There are actually serious photographers posting on Flickr, and.....wait for it......good photos. This filter crap is just a ploy to get some of the hipster crowd to potentially join, which is fine....but none of the serious users will use the filters, they will continue doing their own post processing.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I like Flickr, and am glad it doesn't have a user base like, Instagram lets say. There are actually serious photographers posting on Flickr, and.....wait for it......good photos. This filter crap is just a ploy to get some of the hipster crowd to potentially join, which is fine....but none of the serious users will use the filters, they will continue doing their own post processing.

You'll be surprised at the quality of photos on Instagram nowadays. A lot of people shoot with their DSLR's and post on Instagram.

And the point of a photography social network is to connect photographers and show off your work. If no one is using it, why bother posting?

Agreed about the filters; Flickr shouldn't be doing that. Perhaps integrating a camera app in which you could have full manual control would have been better. Ah well.

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
Is this US-only? Seems to have disappeared from the Japanese store at least, and the direct link says it's not available there.

Eh, not that it matters anyway. I have the old version & to be honest I think I only opened it once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.