Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Hi there,
just few i hope easy confirmations as i'm almost done with my setup and preparing for iMac arrival.

- I'm currently using a MBAir as my go-to computer, and i have a old MACPro which currently has several GBs of files which i will transfer through ethernet.
- All of my apps, mails, etc. are sitting on my MBAir: net, when the iMac arrives, i just want it to be a copy of my portable MBAir. I'll obviously then add the different pro apps that i have on my MacPro, but all the small apps i use day to day are currently sitting on my MBAir (i've moved houses and have not been using the MacPro for quite a while).
- I've purchased a couple of external SSD RAID that i connect via thunderbolt, and the speed is out of the world. I'm basically getting near full thunderbolt bandwith on both read/write. So i decided i will definitely want to boot the imac from the external TBs, and leave the Fusion drive which i've mistakenly bought just for windows / extra storage if needed.

So, how do i "transfer" my MB Air to the SSDs so that once the iMac arrives i just plug the SSDs and boot from there, then format the Fusion and start from scratch? I understand via using something like Carbon Copy cloner i'd get the objective done, but i'm a bit puzzled by things like my OSx currently being set-up for a MB Air (i.e. firmware, etc.), so i'm not sure this would work.

Naturally, alternative is to just use the migration tool once the mac arrives, but then again, how do i transfer all that will then be on the iMac to the external drives? Would that be the time to use a tool like CCopy?

Thanks.

PS
Get a couple of thunderbolt external SSDs if anyone is wondering on the Apple upgrade...i'm looking at transfer speeds of nearly 1gb/s on the test bench!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.