Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

NimbleBit's Latest Freemium Game 'Nimble Quest' Launches on iOS

NimbleBit, the developer behind popular games like Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower, and Pocket Planes, tonight launched its newest freemium app, the highly anticipated Nimble Quest.

In Nimble Quest, players control an ever-increasing line of adventurers, battling against enemies with both ranged and melee attacks. Our sister site, TouchArcade, describes the game as a cross between Snake and a traditional RPG.
Quote:
In brief, NimbleQuest is Snake, except on steroids. In the game, you control a conga line of fantasy adventurers, and, with a combination of ranged and melee attacks, you battle it out across a variety of settings against archers, skeletons, bats, and a whole lot more. Imagine if your old-school, traditional Snake snake could somehow attack incoming enemy snakes and you've got the picture.
The game melds skill-based touch gameplay with roleplaying elements including skill increases, power ups, and party building, requiring players to navigate their growing line of party members through an endless number of stages.

Though Nimble Quest is designed to be a single player game, it incorporates a guild system that functions similarly to the "Flight Crew" in Pocket Planes, offering up time-limited quests and global leaderboards.

Nimble Quest is a free app for the iPad and the iPhone that is available for download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NimbleBit's Latest Freemium Game 'Nimble Quest' Launches on iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Damn freemium...

...Although Tiny Tower was pretty decent.
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:54 AM   #3
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

True, pocket planes and tiny tower were both fun and good games. But this freemium "virus"...I just can't cope with getting the game free and If I get stuck and really can't advance unless I buy in app purchases.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Rich74
macrumors regular

Loved Pocket Planes but it went a bit meh at Christmas and I never got my Santa sleigh for doing the event and I never went back to it.

Rich74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Damn freemium...

Should we really be promoting the freemium model?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:25 AM   #6
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Should we really be promoting the freemium model?
No.

Between irresponsible DLC, "always on" connection requirements, and rising prices on AAA titles, I have great fear that the gaming industry is in for another "Atari Pac-Man / E.T." singularity.

Seems like the only games coming out that are worthwhile are indie cross-platformers and the better KickStarter projects out there.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
No.

Between irresponsible DLC, "always on" connection requirements, and rising prices on AAA titles, I have great fear that the gaming industry is in for another "Atari Pac-Man / E.T." singularity.

Seems like the only games coming out that are worthwhile are indie cross-platformers and the better KickStarter projects out there.
Oh God that ET game....

Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:43 AM   #8
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Damn freemium...

can't classify tiny tower as a real game
alent1234 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
rmwebs
Banned

Like all (yes, every single one) freemium games, there will be very little replay-ability. Nobody wants their game to crawl until they pay a few quid to speed it up.

Really hate the freemium model. EA seemed to take it to a whole new bat crap crazy level with SimCity.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10
MacSince1990
Banned

I think I'll stick to running SNES games on my iPhone.
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:21 AM   #11
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No.

That ET game actually killed the Atari on it's own. And they had to put all the game carts in the trash and concrete over them. True story.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm01.htm
Here is the game in all it's "worst game ever" glory.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:17 AM   #12
dec.
macrumors 6502a

What I find more interesting is that "Nimble Quest" basically is a clone of "Call of Snakes". And that after Nimblebit complaining about Zynga... quite poor work ethics IMHO.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:18 AM   #13
larrybeo
macrumors regular

How is this a "freemium" title?

I'm not sure how this is a "pay to play' title. I've been playing it for about 5 hours and haven't paid anything yet and I am advancing in the game just fine. What are we defining as a "Freemium" title? This game is WAY more free than any other "Freemium" game I've played.
larrybeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:46 AM   #14
moogleii
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately for every player complaining about freemium, there's a player (or more) complaining that the game is even trying to charge a mere 99 cents. God forbid, they try to charge $5.
moogleii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
No.

i think you're right but only because mobile gaming you can play anytime anywhere

to play my xbox i have to wait until my kids are asleep and then fight for the TV with my wife. i'm not playing ME3 in front of my kids.

same with the arcade downturn. to play in the arcade you had to go to a special place and spend a lot of money on gaming. console allowed you to do it at home

last 30 years mobility and the ability to compute any time beats specs/graphics all the time
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion