Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:41 PM   #76
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by layte View Post
Bah! Not quick enough with my edit.
It is alright. The Intel P4000 is available on certain LGA 1155 based models and it has the certified drivers, etc.

Any actually difference from the HD 4000 besides getting it certified? None.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:43 PM   #77
layte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
That's under Windows. Under OSX Autodesk usually certifies a range of Macs with their software. They typically skip over the minis, airs, and 13" macbook pros.
Oh I get that, it was more to the point that Autodesk are happy enough with the underlying hardware, so to just dismiss it out of hand is not entirely fair.
layte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:44 PM   #78
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Assuming Apple does indeed give us a 2013 Mac Pro, what would Intel be able to bring to the table? Is there anything out there at all that warrants a proper upgrade? A nice 8 or 10 core Xeon at 2.93Ghz? What's the roadmap?

At times it seems as if the race for the fastest CPU has been all but abandoned for the race to the most power efficient CPU.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:48 PM   #79
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger View Post
Assuming Apple does indeed give us a 2013 Mac Pro, what would Intel be able to bring to the table? Is there anything out there at all that warrants a proper upgrade? A nice 8 or 10 core Xeon at 2.93Ghz? What's the roadmap?

At times it seems as if the race for the fastest CPU has been all but abandoned for the race to the most power efficient CPU.
That is not really the case for Xeon. I have read that Intel is interested in bringing out a +150W Xeon bin for people that really want the power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...rocessors.html

You see 150W there but there is even the chance to just unlock the limiters and push it higher/hotter. 10 cores for Ivy Bridge-E Xeon and maybe even 12 cores.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:52 PM   #80
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Deranger View Post

8 core is likely.

The race for fastest CPU hasn't been abandoned. It's just shifted into a race for the fastest modular unit that can scale to a many core system. Still provides for an overall faster CPU.

The short of it was that branch prediction units and ALUs got so complex that they couldn't squeeze any more IPC out of it so they had to start ask the coders and compilers to parralelize their code.

Last edited by chrmjenkins; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
chrmjenkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #81
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
That is not really the case for Xeon. I have read that Intel is interested in bringing out a +150W Xeon bin for people that really want the power.

You see 150W there but there is even the chance to just unlock the limiters and push it higher/hotter. 10 cores for Ivy Bridge-E Xeon and maybe even 12 cores.
Thanks Eidorian and chrmjenkins. 12 core CPUs sounds fantastic!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
The short of it was that branch prediction units and ALUs got so complex that they couldn't squeeze any more IPC out of it so they had to start ask the coders and compilers to parralelize their code.
Gosh, I wish that they would hurry up with that. Maya, my main 3D app is in so many ways still single threaded. It's painful to watch on a 12-core MP.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:09 PM   #82
iFanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
I just ordered a $6,504.00 CDN iMac with the following specs

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

Will Haswell make much of difference for my needs? I use my computer for facebook, email, twitter and listening to iTunes. I occasionally edit photos in iPhoto from my iphone.

Just kidding
You had me going. Well done!
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #83
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

I wonder what the decibel level would be like if they crammed those into blade servers.

Quote:
Oh I get that, it was more to the point that Autodesk are happy enough with the underlying hardware, so to just dismiss it out of hand is not entirely fair.
I don't think they certified the HD3000 at all, so that may be a good sign for Intel.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #84
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I wonder what the decibel level would be like if they crammed those into blade servers.
That would depend on the cooling. I would expect it to see it in a very specialized role or in a liquid cooled workstation that needed to be dedicated, local, overkill levels of computing power.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
I just ordered a $6,504.00 CDN iMac with the following specs

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

Will Haswell make much of difference for my needs? I use my computer for facebook, email, twitter and listening to iTunes. I occasionally edit photos in iPhoto from my iphone.

Just kidding
You might have some trouble so watch videos on Facebook (photos should be OK most of the time if you don't listen music in the same time).

So I'd recommend you to resell or trade it for a new model and everything should be fine... well everything but Twitter, but that's another story (maybe in 2014?).

PS: Just kidding too
217833 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #86
alfistas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
If you make money with CAD, you buy one of the “standard” HP or Lenovo (IBM) workstations for > 10.000,- US$.
What a ridiculous statement! You seriously think the world is black and white? Where people can either go for puny integrated graphics or $10.000 worth of workstations??
alfistas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:53 PM   #87
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

Why is called Intel HD 4600 and not Intel HD 5000? Also Haswell is taking 1600MHz memory as well not higher?
Ice Dragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:04 PM   #88
alfistas
Banned

Quote:
Edit: teach me for not reading the small print. More fools me.

Although, it still shows that a functionally identical unit can go through and not only pass, but get a recommended tag. So it cannot be all that bad.
I don't understand your comment...

Also why do people think that by CAD I was reffering to Autocad??? Autodesk products are very expensive so most medium size firms opt for cheaper options...
alfistas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:13 PM   #89
SuperCyborg
Banned

Spring 2013, give a few months for Apple to get around building something for them, we should see new iMacs sometime around February 2014.
SuperCyborg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:34 PM   #90
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
First off; the power levels are low enough to go into a Mac Mini if Apple wanted to go that route. The vastly improved graphics are actually needed in the Mini. 35 watts is doable and maybe even 45 watts in a Mini.

Second; Nice updates for the base model iMac too. More performance is always nice or if you choose a bit cooler operation.

The only really bad thing is no six core option. This would be an ideal chip for an XMac type machine.
Mac mini pro coming soon to replace the mac pro!
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:41 PM   #91
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
You might have some trouble so watch videos on Facebook (photos should be OK most of the time if you don't listen music in the same time).

So I'd recommend you to resell or trade it for a new model and everything should be fine... well everything but Twitter, but that's another story (maybe in 2014?).

PS: Just kidding too
Well said my friend lol!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:35 PM   #92
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcapellaro View Post
You've seen the rMBP 13 right? That's essentially an Air with extra ports and not wedge shaped. Small enough for me, but wish it had a discrete GPU for "docked" scenarios.
Wasn't T-Bolt supposed to solve the "docked scenario" problem?

Just put a PCI-e discrete card with uber-GiB of VRAM into the docking station....

Oops. Vaporware.
AidenShaw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #93
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
That would depend on the cooling. I would expect it to see it in a very specialized role or in a liquid cooled workstation that needed to be dedicated, local, overkill levels of computing power.
I hope to see more gpu leverage. It could be great in terms of cost to performance ratio, but that route is memory bottlenecked when it comes to raytracing with mapped textures, and you can't map them directly to virtual memory with any OpenCL or CUDA based renderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post

Oops. Vaporware.
That is why I'd never buy something with thunderbolt in anticipation of peripheral devices. I don't worry about these things unless the capability is already there. I'd argue that Apple got what they wanted from it. The initial single port implementation took over a mini displayport connection. The second port on some machines displaced ports that Apple wouldn't have implemented anyway due to Apple's prioritization. I don't really agree with shaving .2" and axing ethernet, but I don't think lack of thunderbolt would have prevented this.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:00 PM   #94
xekret
macrumors newbie

Hopefully the 13" Retina will get a boost in graphic performance with the HD4600. That is what I am hoping for until then my 2011 iMac will do.
xekret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:35 PM   #95
magbarn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiffi View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but there is an i7 quad core with 35W TDP in the list. As far 35W is the limit Apple has set (themselves) for the Processor of the 13" Macbook Pros. I can see a quad core 13" MBP and rMBP coming

Awesome!!!
Apple could've easily given this years rMBP 13 a proper quad core 35 watt CPU this year here. But they have to defend that profit margin and give you a reason next year to upgrade to Haswell
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:42 PM   #96
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Dragon View Post
Why is called Intel HD 4600 and not Intel HD 5000? Also Haswell is taking 1600MHz memory as well not higher?
The Intel HD 4600 is probably only their GT2 level integrated graphics. It is going to be better than Ivy Bridge but GT3 is the showstopper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	383216  
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:52 AM   #97
madrag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
Behold as the new iMac gets the shortest life cycle ever.
Ha ha, you haven't been waiting for the iMac 2012 since November 2011... The Haswell iMac at this pace, will be released at the end of 2013, and for me that is not the shortest life cycle ever.
madrag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:17 AM   #98
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizdun View Post
Why no Haswell for Macbook Pros?
I'm patiently waiting for Haswell so that I can invest in a rMBP 2nd gen with Haswell in 2013... or is that wishful thinking?
As there is a good chance that the 15" MBP will be updated late spring, early summer, next year, you may get your wish. And with these HD4600 GPU's, formerly referred to as GT1, GT2 and GT3, graphics performance will take quite a leap forward. The performance of the GT3 is said to have increased up to 100%, compared to Ivy Bridge's HD4000, so even with real-world benchmarks, that should be quite an improvement. Making switching to the power-hungry NVIDIA GeForce discreet graphics less of a necessity for all but the most graphics-intensive applications.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:14 AM   #99
Exodist
macrumors member

One would hope by the next die shrink (i think broad well) they could start working putting dual integrated GPUs on die with the CPU. At least one could hope...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:23 AM   #100
skier777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
Behold as the new iMac gets the shortest life cycle ever.
I think apple is finally figuring it out; by updating the products more regularly, they sell more, because people don't feel the need to hold out until the net big thing.
The consumer on the other hand feels that apple has "betrayed" them by updating a product that they just bought. What I cannot possibly understand is why you would care. You knew what you were getting on the day you bought it and you made a conscious decision to trade money for goods.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfistas View Post
What a ridiculous statement! You seriously think the world is black and white? Where people can either go for puny integrated graphics or $10.000 worth of workstations??
This.

AutoCAD 2013 would run fine on the average $500 desktop computer.
skier777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion