Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Soundhound
macrumors 6502a

What cable to run btwn iMac and Airport?

I have my main iMac in our converted garage out back. That iMac runs iTunes for the whole house, has the music library (very large) on an attached drive, etc. Right now it connects to everything else (airport expresses in several rooms feeding stereos etc) as well as the Airport Extreme which is in the main house, all through the WiFi network.

I'm thinking it would be good to connect it with a cable to the Airport Extreme, but I'm not sure what kind of cable i should use. (we have a tube buried with phone lines, and the electrician is coming over this weekend to do some other stuff, and I thought I could get him to run another cable in that tube).

I always thought I'd run an Ethernet cable for this purpose, but I'm wondering if that's the right choice at this point? Should it be some other kind of cable that will work now, but that will be more future-proof?

thanks!
Soundhound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Since the AirPort Extreme Base Station and the AirPort Express only have a USB and Gigabit Ethernet port(s), a Gigabit Ethernet cable (Cat5+, Cat6) will do just fine. The USB port is for adding a printer or HDD to be shared on the network.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Soundhound
macrumors 6502a

Thanks! It's just to hook up the iMac to the Airport Extreme, the Expresses just use the WiFi.

I guess what I was wondering as well is when the new version (AC WiFi) comes out, if it'll have some new kind of connection available. It wouldn't be Thunderbolt would it? No way of really knowing I guess....
Soundhound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
rpg51
macrumors 6502

Pretty sure AE is not gigabit. Still, if you are running something I guess CAT 6 is the thing to do.
rpg51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
MacFan782040
macrumors 6502a

Cat 5 will do just fine. Get a spool from Home Depot
MacFan782040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help