Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
fedecape
macrumors 6502

Japan and a prepaid simcard

Hi
I'm leaving for Japan on the 25th of December, and I really need an phone simcard. I need to make some calls (Skype ToGo) and I need Internet to survive! (20 days!)
Does any of you guys know a good prepaid service?

Here in the US, T-MOBILE has a reasonable option. If I'm not wrong, about 3 dollars /day for unlimited 2G, Calls and SMSs.

I'm looking for something similar.

Thank you.
fedecape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
sohaloh
macrumors regular

Konnichiwa,

I visited Japan last October and had the exact same questions. Unfortunately you can't buy prepaid SIM cards in Japan because of some telecommunication laws which prohibit non citizens from acquiring mobile numbers. You can however rent post paid SIM cards from companies such as SoftBank and global mobile. But if you're main use is data you are out of luck. The data rates are absolutely insane even with data caps that don't work in the same way as they do in the US. If you're not willing to part with more than 300-500 dollars for 20 days don't go near those post paid SIM cards. Also calls are extremely expensive from them.

Solution: What I did was rent a pocket wifi device at the airport it cost me 10000 yen for 20 days. The battery lasted around 6 hours usage and more if it was mostly idle. You get signals all over Japan so it's no issue. There's no data cap. So I'd just travel with that in my pocket since most of my communication with friends was via whatsapp and Viber etc anyways. Also I could use it for maps, Skype and connect my laptop at night too. Go for that if you seriously need to use data on your Japan trip. It'll save you tonnes of money. Good luck.

Last edited by sohaloh; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
sohaloh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:38 PM   #3
lazard
macrumors 6502a

B Mobile visitor sim card. You can order it online and have it delivered to your hotel when you arrive.
lazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
frag2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
B Mobile visitor sim card. You can order it online and have it delivered to your hotel when you arrive.
This. It's what I used when I was there this year...though I do have a Softbank prepaid as well...data is a bitch to setup for PP to get MMS
frag2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:31 AM   #5
fedecape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohaloh View Post
Konnichiwa,

I visited Japan last October and had the exact same questions. Unfortunately you can't buy prepaid SIM cards in Japan because of some telecommunication laws which prohibit non citizens from acquiring mobile numbers. You can however rent post paid SIM cards from companies such as SoftBank and global mobile. But if you're main use is data you are out of luck. The data rates are absolutely insane even with data caps that don't work in the same way as they do in the US. If you're not willing to part with more than 300-500 dollars for 20 days don't go near those post paid SIM cards. Also calls are extremely expensive from them.

Solution: What I did was rent a pocket wifi device at the airport it cost me 10000 yen for 20 days. The battery lasted around 6 hours usage and more if it was mostly idle. You get signals all over Japan so it's no issue. There's no data cap. So I'd just travel with that in my pocket since most of my communication with friends was via whatsapp and Viber etc anyways. Also I could use it for maps, Skype and connect my laptop at night too. Go for that if you seriously need to use data on your Japan trip. It'll save you tonnes of money. Good luck.
Sounds good..
Brand name? Just "pocket wifi device"?
Is it unlimited 3G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
I'll check it out, thank you
fedecape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
sohaloh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedecape View Post
Sounds good..
Brand name? Just "pocket wifi device"?
Is it unlimited 3G?

I'll check it out, thank you
I think they have different branded devices and yes it's unlimited 3G. You'll find the mobile kiosks at the terminals in narita airport, assuming that's where you will be landing. I've heard the SIM cards are really expensive however if money isn't a big issue then go for it. For soft bank you have to book the sim 2 days before you arrive and they put a small hold on your credit card etc. Hope it works out for you and let us know what you ended up doing. 😃
sohaloh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone