Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2012
So I had Airplay / Airtunes set up using an Airport Express but my home PC was stolen, and a PC running iTunes is required so I can no longer play audio through my home stereo system. (The Airport Express has a mini 3.5" out which a cheap $3 cable will convert to RCA). I purchased a new AppleTV(3rd generation) and it only has HDMI out for video and Optical/Toslink out for audio so I can't connect it to my stereo/receiver RCA inputs (Thanks Apple! You know not everyone has a brand new TV and stereo!)

Apparently the AppleTV version 1 had RCA out. Will this let me use Airplay/Airtunes where I can output wirelessly audio from my iPad / iPod Touch to the AppleTV and hear it on my home stereo? I think Apple is forgetting some people won't even hook AppleTV up to their TV!

I went in to my local electronics shop and they said the only way to get my current AppleTV to work is with a converter box that cost $68, even on Monoprice.com it is going to be around $20 and then you have to plug this separate digital to analog device into a power outlet and buy 2 cables one for each end--sounds like too much trouble. I'd rather just plug in a set of RCA cables to apple 1st gen and be done with it. If this will work I'm returning the Apple TV 3rd gen and I guess looking for a used 1st.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Apparently the AppleTV version 1 had RCA out. Will this let me use Airplay/Airtunes where I can output wirelessly audio from my iPad / iPod Touch to the AppleTV and hear it on my home stereo?

if you can send audio to an aTV (of any version), you can send audio to an airport express.

I think Apple is forgetting some people won't even hook AppleTV up to their TV!

it's called the appleTV, it's supposed to be hooked to a TV, if you only want audio, get an airport express.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I used this to hook up 3rd gen ATV to a Rocketfish. You can plug this directly into your stereo. It was cut and dry, nothing had to be configured. The cheaper models do not decoded Dolby, you need the model with the built in decoder.

or you can get the one from monoprice that the OP mentioned for $20 that he said sounded like too much trouble.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I bought a newer receiver on craigslist that has optical input, but that was just my solution. BTW, I had an Airport Express as a work around, but honestly, why have two device to do the same job? I listen to more music than watch TV (weird hey?). I don't want my TV on all the time when I'm listening to music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.