Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have our modem/time capsule on the 3rd floor in the attic. I have a cable running to the first floor for my aunts mac mini. I got her an ipad mini for christmas and want to give her my old apple tv as well. the time capsule wireless signal is shaky on the first floor. its fast in some parts and super slow in others. So i was thinking about adding an airport express to extend the signal. Can I attach the cable from the time capsule that gos to the mini into the express and a cable from the express into the mini? I saw the new express has 2 ethernet ports but im not familiar with all the networking lingo.

I just want to extend the wireless but keep the mac mini wired.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
nope, wired gigabit ethernet is so much better, it's useful to save the wireless bandwidth for things that can't be hard wired, like iPads, iPhones, and apple tvs.

One think to keep in mind though is the APE only has 10/100Mbps LAN/WAN ports, so the mini's link to the main router (and all other devices on the network) would be effectlively reduced from 1Gbps to 100Mbps by setting up the network this way.

When setting up the network this way you'd want to setup the APE in bridge mode to have the main time capsule handle all the routing duties.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
[You will want to put the ethernet cable that's currently in the mac mini, into the WAN part of the AE and then run another ethernet cable from the LAN port to the mac mini.]

You have it backwards.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
theoretically, this airport express can connect over wifi n at rate of 300 mbps.
but over ethernet at 100mbps.

jasontrucks76

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
I am having similar thoughts of adding an express to broaden my wireless coverage in my home...
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I was under the impression that if I simply plugged in the express to the outlet that I could set it up to connect to my current wireless signal and it then would be amplifying my current signal. (airport extreme)

I have my extreme set up in my office up stairs and the signal is too weak to connect my thermostat to so I can control my furnace and AC remotely from my iPhone. At the end of the day i am looking for advice on how to get my wireless coverage amplified so I will cover the entire house... 3 Floors. Any mode of completing the task if fine with me so if the express is the wrong item to use I am happy to listen to any input.

Thank you~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.