Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googlemaps-150x150.png
AllThingsD reports that Google's highly anticipated iOS Maps app is set to be released later tonight.

When Apple stopped using Google Maps in September with iOS 6, rumors immediately began that the search engine giant would release its own Maps app into the App Store. Since then, unhappy iOS users have been waiting patiently for the app, which didn't seem like it was going to materialize, until tonight.

Google Maps for iOS will likely be a huge hit with iPhone users that have been plagued with problems using Apple's built-in mapping solution. Apple has received significant criticism over its mapping app, most recently when motorists in Australia became lost because of a misplaced waypoint.

There's no word on when the app will hit the App Store, but if it is in line with other releases, expect to see it around 11pm Eastern.

Article Link: Google to Release iOS Maps App Tonight

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Looking forward to it.
Apple maps is fine most of the time for me, especially with siri integration.

But, I really miss things like street view, and satellite view that works where I live.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
But doesn't Apple have to approve it first?

Apple never seems to hint at when it will approve apps.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Looking forward to it.
Apple maps is fine most of the time for me, especially with siri integration.

But, I really miss things like street view, and satellite view that works where I live.

And finding the place I'm looking for.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I hope that with this, people will realize that Google Maps has its own share of errors as well. Apple Maps is getting way too much unjustified hate.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Thank god. I was an initial defender of Apple Maps, but I've found too many instances where it can't find well-known businesses or landmarks in my local area. I've switched to using the Google Maps web app.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That may set a new record for the most quickly downloaded iPhone app. I hope the App Store won't crash due to millions of simultaneous downloads.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
win-win

I'll admit to not having had any problems with Maps. But if I had, I would've been pissed. So I consider myself lucky and won't say: "but it works for me, why are YOU complaining"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.