Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvmskier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Maybe Apple will put the translation app that they have in the commercials into the demo versions of the iPhones in the stores just in case of emergency.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I don't understand why an unarmed WOMAN was tased. I can understand if she was armed and threatening other people, but really. Tasing an unarmed woman? How brave.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I don't understand why an unarmed WOMAN was tased. I can understand if she was armed and threatening other people, but really. Tasing an unarmed woman? How brave.

Actually, we women can be just as dangerous, when unarmed, as men are. I have to agree with Jessica, I don't think we're getting the whole story.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Language barriers can lead to this type of thing. It doesn't appear the woman had any intent to do anything wrong. It seems like the issue was when she resisted arrest but it also seems clear she doesn't know why she was being arrested. I don't think any charges will hold up against her.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
seems very forceful; Was there a translator involved at all? would like more info on this.
I can't believe she still using an iPhone.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Don't Taze me Bro!

I'm sure she got belligerent when she got refused again. To her credit i've chatted with some Apple employees about the iPhone rule and they have told me that it's very fluid. Some people get told they only get to purchase two and some get to buy a crapload.

It seems the rule changes by the month or stock level. She's probably rightly pissed off. iPhone can fetch a nice profit overseas.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Most likely the genius told her, "there is nothing wrong with your computer", and she said "sure there is", and he said "but im a genius and I know things."

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Can't be much of a language barrier if she can without assistance go to a store and by the phones. she understood on friday that there was a limit and returned tuesday to make another attempt to get more.

me thinks she is part of that gray market overseas. a helpless woman buying phones to send overseas and has 16K in the purse. smells weird

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
How about this, if you don't understand what's going on, ask. Surely she could Google-translate some simple questions with the manager before the police came. And why did she return in the first place after being told not to return to the store. If you're going to live in a country that speaks English, you should at least be able to do basic communication.

As I see it, she was a scalper, and is now feigning ignorance to hopefully get off the charges.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Language barriers have caused this problem before. We had a gentleman tased at the Vancouver Airport just last year and died from it due to a language barrier. Now we do not know the whole story, but 2 male police officers should have been able to handle this without a taser, especially since they are trained for these situations.

Aug 5, 2012
She was asked to leave and didnt.

If im in country where i dont understand the local language i still know when ive out stayed my welcome.

When the police turned up she must have known it was time to leave.

She must have known resisting the police was wrong.

Sounds like she had it coming... Lucky she didnt get shot

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I'm sure she got belligerent when she got refused again. To her credit i've chatted with some Apple employees about the iPhone rule and they have told me that it's very fluid. Some people get told they only get to purchase two and some get to buy a crapload.

It seems the rule changes by the month or stock level. She's probably rightly pissed off. iPhone can fetch a nice profit overseas.

I bet its to do with race on this occasion. Sounds like it is to me.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Can't be much of a language barrier if she can without assistance go to a store and by the phones.

She didn't go "without assistance". Her daughter was with her to translate. She didn't understand why she couldn't buy more than two iPhones, when she saw other people in the store doing just that. And remember that Apple had lifted its limit on iPhone purchases. But the Apple employees told her to leave. She came back the next day to try again, supposedly, and that's when the cops arrested her. Two big guys on top of one small unarmed woman. I can't understand why the taser was necessary.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Considering that she is a POC, and this is the USA, and after what happened to Amadou Diallo, Rodney King, Sean Bell among others; I would say she is very lucky to be alive.:mad:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Here's a post in the comments section of theregister: "I live in China. You see, here, people who can afford iPhones are rich. Security mall officers never do anything here. They sit around. They have no power. They are treated like dogs, and are called that way by many young childrens and adults alike.

Rich people are usually pushy, talk loudly, and have no manners when in public. They will quite literally elbow you out in line, talk at the top of their voice on their cell phone, park their car in front of yours and therefore making you stuck there, or park it in front of the only exit. Their lack of civility is extraordinary. These things I see everyday, I just need to look out the window or take a walk. How could a rich little strumpet like that lose face to a security mall officer? Impossible. How could she kowtow? Impossible. Way too proud and arrogant. I see her type every day here. Flouting the law is quite normal in China. These little strumpets always believe they can get away with everything because in China they do through bribery in those extreme cases...

Welcome to America, where when a police officer tells you to walk away, you better fricking believe that you should shut the hell up and do as told. Welcome to America, where stores employees will often try to follow the rules and the law. I would like to buy that officer a beer. Seeing one of these uncivilized (whatever the nationality) little strumpets, who never follow the rules, is usually rude, has no civility or manners finally get what she or he deserves feels very good."

So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops. "She says she couldn't understand the language" and "she couldn't understand the language" is not the same. And if a police officer tries to get you out of a store, you don't really need to understand any language at all.

It would be common sense that when you go to any foreign country you assume that the rules might be different than at home. Not leaving the store when the cops try to get you out is stupid (unless you are in a place where you know exactly how things work, and you know what you do is fine).

That said, I think a tazer should be used in one case only: When use of possibly lethal force would be justified, but a tazer can achieve the same goal without (if you're not out of luck) causing injury, without affecting the police officer and so on. If she resisted for an hour, I think they should have worked patiently until she was removed, then charge accordingly.

I wonder how much she resisted before the cops tased her?

According to what I read, a cop managed to get _one_ handcuff on her after a ten minute struggle, and didn't manage to get a second handcuff on her within another five minutes. That's fifteen minutes struggle.

I bet its to do with race on this occasion. Sounds like it is to me.

I'd think that after a fifteen minute struggle race doesn't matter very much.

The _why_ is easy: Fifteen minute struggle to get her out of the store, without success. Not that it makes use of a tazer justified, but it would explain it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.