Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eric_schmidt_blue-150x133.jpg
In another wide-ranging interview with Bloomberg, Google Executive Chairman and former CEO Eric Schmidt says that Google is winning the war against Apple in the mobile space.
This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple. We're winning that war pretty clearly now. [...]

"The core strategy is to make a bigger pie," he said. "We will end up with a not perfectly controlled and not perfectly managed bigger pie by virtue of open systems."
Bloomberg points to a Gartner study claiming that Android's market share reached 72% during the previous quarter while iOS registered at just 14% as its market share has plateaued or even retreated somewhat in the face of Android's momentum.

The report notes that Google has gained confidence in its model of giving away Android to handset manufacturing partners and relying on advertising, search, and other services to generate revenue. The flexibility of Android has resulted in adoption by numerous manufacturers, yielding significant diversity and market penetration for the platform.

Schmidt sat down with The Wall Street Journal for a similar interview last week, during which he noted that Google and Apple have an on-and-off relationship. Schmidt noted at the time that Apple and Google would address their differences "the adult way", recognizing that they have major partnerships in place that need to be fostered even as they have disputes in other areas.

Article Link: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Android is 'Pretty Clearly' Winning the Mobile War with Apple

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I love how nobody outside of core hardcore tech people have any idea who the hell Eric Schmidt is

I sure as hell don't recognize the name. He looks like my dad though

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Market share =/= winning.

There are some great non-iOS smartphones out there, but just because the 20,000 new Android models keep an edge on the single iPhone model every year, doesn't mean that's the reason for it being the better product.

Same logic could be applied to Windows and OS X.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
That's like Hyundai bragging about selling more cars than Rolls Royce.....

I'm not saying iOS is a Rolls Royce, but c'mon Eric, be real here.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Famous saying: "quality not quantity"

Apple is trying to make the best smartphone hardware and software
Google is trying to sell as many ads to people as they can, through android devices.

There's the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy stock android...but their goal is not to make the best smartphone, it's just to sell ads.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Ok. Steve, we need you back. Because I would love to hear his smart azz response. Lol.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Wow... I'm sure Wall Street appreciates you tossing as much $^%t at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Makes it even more amazing that Apple can capture 80 or 90% of all mobile profits. Free is only good for some things! This would not be one of those things. :rolleyes:

In case your lost, welcome to America where Capitalism and making money is still a good thing! Winning in business usually is followed by a healthy balance sheet and since the competitors are both public companies, crazy things like ROI actually mean something. Ya those crazy kids and their free phones, hope they enjoy themselves, meanwhile back in reality, I'll follow the money trail.

One of these companies haz this... one does not haz this :)

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
The report notes that Google has gained confidence in its model of giving away Android to handset manufacturing partners and relying on advertising, search, and other services to generate revenue.

I DO NOT want an ad-based phone OS!!!

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
quantity does not mean quality, I have android right now on Verizon 4g lte and it's a piece of crap, don't get me wrong the Samsung hardware is brillant probably better than iPhone but the software - android is junk, completely fractured with useless crap embeded everywhere, and constantly freezes. There is absolutely no integration.

I can't wait until the contract is over and switch back to iPhone and iOS. My old ipad2 which I use everyday is still flawless.

apple all the way, it's the software not hardware...no one seems to realize that.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Lets's see...

Google develops a mobile OS built around it's services and give this OS away for FREE to device manufacturers so that they may collect user info and *HOPEFULLY* use that info to make money in advertising. Sells no devices of it's own.

Apple develops a mobile OS and offers services for use on hardware they design and build. Apple sells their products at a HUGE PROFIT point. (At LEAST $400 per iPhone!!!)

Who is winning again?

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Oh god... Shut up Eric. How can someone justify having majority of the worlds noble OS share and say "hey were number 1, everything is still far from perfect and honestly pretty crappy, but hey, we're number1..."

Pathetic. Hope apple enters the search business and soon...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Market share =/= winning.

There are some great non-iOS smartphones out there, but just because the 20,000 new Android models keep an edge on the single iPhone model every year, doesn't mean that's the reason for it being the better product.

Same logic could be applied to Windows and OS X.

"The better product" - well, thats subjective isn't it? What is "the better product"? Ask half a dozen people and you'd get various answers.

You can say "who is winning" by various statistics - what is it? Sale figures, profits? Each are valid, each, iOS and Android are "winning".

Remember when Steve Jobs said Apple was after 1% market share?

Salesman talk. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a get out clause.

Apple ( Steve Jobs specifically ) liked to use sales figures when it suited Apple.. SJ claim they didn't care about sales for its desktops - because it would be pretty minor compared to windows, but couldn't stop talking about the market share of iTunes and iPods in keynotes, because they were high percentages. He wouldn't boast about Apple PC sales when Apple were selling less than 1 million per quarter back in early to mid 2000s. When Apple PC sales started to become impressive, SJ started to quote sales figures for all computer sales.

Last edited:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
What's the market share for iOS-comparable androids? Not all gphones are using good hardware; most of it is lowest tier possible just to enter poor markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.