Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
codelode84
macrumors member

please help new mac mini and dell u3011

I am having problems getting my new mac mini and dell u3011 to play well together. The max resolution i can get it up to is 1600*1200. I know the monitor can do 2560*1600 thru the dvi port. I am running the dvi wire to the dvi to hdmi adapter that comes with the mac mini. Is this the problem? I found on the apple forums at one point that the Mac Mini was capable of 1920*1080 thru HDMI, I don't know if this was older macs or not. I also found on that same board that thunderbolt capability took it up to 2560*1600.

I am so frustrated. I was on phone with apple for 2 hours and they were looking at the same things I was.

this is the conversation i was referring to.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Please help. I feel I need this but I don't want to spend $99 and this not be what I need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...nk-dvi-adapter

Is the second no usb port on that fit into the mac mini thunderbolt.

Thank you all so much for your help.
codelode84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

That Dell has a DisplayPort input, thus you can use it with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable or adapter (+ DisplayPort cable) without the need for any HDMi or expensive DVI adapter.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

HDMI (single-link DVI) will give you up to 2.75MP, doesn't matter if it's 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 1200 - just the total pixels is less than 2.75 million.

To drive the 4 million pixels your monitor supports via DVI you need dual-link DVI from the DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) connector instead of the HDMI connecter.

As previous reply said the cheaper/simpler solution is to just use the DisplayPort connector on your monitor with an appropriate cable instead of DVI. If for whatever reason you must use the DVI port, the $99 adapter you list is the correct one.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
codelode84
macrumors member

So is this the plug I need?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...to-dvi-adapter

Where does this plug in the mini?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM   #5
hmaliks
macrumors newbie

You need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M...+dual+link+dvi

Note: Only use the above if you really have to otherwise as previously suggested get this cable and utilize the Display Port:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01
hmaliks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
codelode84
macrumors member

I got the wire today and I must say that the U3011 is a awesome monitor for the mac mini no regrets.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
eizen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelode84 View Post
I got the wire today and I must say that the U3011 is a awesome monitor for the mac mini no regrets.
So there's no UI lag at that resolution?
eizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:16 PM   #8
codelode84
macrumors member

I would put it this way, if there is I sure can't tell. This monitor is so awesome it is sweet no complaints at all. I previously had a 24" iMac that ended up getting some dust inside the lcd panel somehow that really bothered me and I just decided that I wanted to go with a separate monitor this time.

It also comes with a 3 year warranty too which is nice but it is pretty pricey.

The frustrating thing about my situation in this thread was that I spoke to apple for about and hour and the rep that I spoke with had no clue. I saw a the apple connector that I thought could help me but I wasn't sure b/c it didn't say thunderbolt on it but it looked like the same shape. I even asked her and she didn't know. Oh well all is well now.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
eizen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelode84 View Post
I would put it this way, if there is I sure can't tell. This monitor is so awesome it is sweet no complaints at all. I previously had a 24" iMac that ended up getting some dust inside the lcd panel somehow that really bothered me and I just decided that I wanted to go with a separate monitor this time.

It also comes with a 3 year warranty too which is nice but it is pretty pricey.

The frustrating thing about my situation in this thread was that I spoke to apple for about and hour and the rep that I spoke with had no clue. I saw a the apple connector that I thought could help me but I wasn't sure b/c it didn't say thunderbolt on it but it looked like the same shape. I even asked her and she didn't know. Oh well all is well now.
Yeah I didn't know either that you could use mini display port on a thunderbolt connector until recently ~_~
eizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini