Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage16.png
The Federal Communications Commission today announced a proposal that would extend a previous agreement requiring wireless carriers to allow their users to send SMS messages to 911 call centers. The proposal would extend the requirement from simple SMS texting to "over-the-top" messaging services like Apple's iMessage.

The four major American carriers, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, have already agreed to make the SMS-to-911 feature nationwide by May 15, 2014.

By adding support for "over-the-top" messaging services, the FCC believes it can help keep pace with how people use their phones as users turn more to text messages rather than phone calls. Additionally, the text-to-911 feature could assist deaf users, as well as those in home invasion or other situations where making a voice call could be dangerous.
Today's Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking anticipates that all wireless carriers, as well as providers of "over the top" text messaging that use IP-based or SMS protocols to deliver text messages to destinations identified by a telephone number, will be required to deploy text-to-911 and to provide "bounce back" messages where text-to-911 is not yet available. While more than 90 percent of smartphone users currently use SMS as their form of text messaging, we are taking forward-looking action given the growth of Internet-based text messaging. The Further Notice also tees up for resolution key issues including standards deployment and service deployment, location accuracy, cost recovery, carrier liability.
iMessage allows people to link their phone numbers with the service and it could be used to text 911 call centers, instead of using SMS messaging as a fallback. If 911 call centers don't support text-to-911 in a particular area, users would receive "bounce back" messages to advise them to call 911 via the traditional message.

As of now, this is just a proposal, not an official action, and that there is no set timetable from the FCC.

Article Link: FCC Proposal Would Require Apple to Support iMessage-to-911

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
This is a pretty good idea. I mean, after all, iMessage isn't an opt-in feature. I think it's automatically enabled by default.

The only interesting part if this will only be for iPhones ... or all iMessage devices

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is a pretty good idea. I mean, after all, iMessage isn't an opt-in feature. I think it's automatically enabled by default.

The only interesting part if this will only be for iPhones ... or all iMessage devices

True. But this does seem to be an good idea.

Not sure what it would mean technically for apple.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hmm I wonde how they could implement this? Since it's only iOS to iOS or iOS to Mac. Guess they could add emergency services :p

BiigBiscuit

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
True. But this does seem to be an good idea.

Not sure what it would mean technically for apple.

Probably nothing. Until iMessage goes down and someone that wasn't able to contact 911 via text gets hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be some sort of an uproar because of that.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Probably nothing. Until iMessage goes down and someone that wasn't able to contact 911 via text gets hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be some sort of an uproar because of that.

or they could call them like a normal person...

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
If there isn't an iMessage target it just sends a text message anyway. While I think it is great someone is actually forward thinking, I think in the case of iMessage it doesn't really make sense.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
If there isn't an iMessage target it just sends a text message anyway. While I think it is great someone is actually forward thinking, I think in the case of iMessage it doesn't really make sense.

You're right about that, but perhaps this requirement would prompt Apple to detect its a 9-1-1 txt and skip looking for an iMessage contact and send it straight along?

I know a few times I've iMessaged someone who's lost connectivity, it can be 30-90 seconds before the phone "figures it out" and routes as SMS. As the first responders always point out, seconds count, so it's a small step but helpful.

Somehow I get the feeling though that as carriers implement txt to 9-1-1, Apple would be right there anyhow. No reason not to.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
wait this should be dead simple to implement. All you need is to link and iMessage device to whatever system 911 uses. In fact this is so simple that it could easily be turned in to a Google summer of code project! How about that novel ideal 911?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Remembering 911 only works in the USA... random thoughts:
- Would this start working overseas where 911 isn't the emergency number?
- Even if a slight hack is needed, wouldn't this open up 911 to masses of spam from pretty well anywhere around the globe? Meh they might be able to make it only work in the USA.
- It could be quite useful... phone network's down but the internet isn't. Potential life saver!!! BUT how would it work in international waters...etc? The technical side of things would be quite interesting!

sorinc03

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
This will be so fun

It'll be amazing when it's released. Why in the world would anyone text 911?

"Omg I'm being killed. Pls help me. :( AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Why would ANYONE complain about this?

Not a complaint per-se, but SMS isn't exactly the best way to get a distress signal out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service#Unreliability). That coupled with some past iMessage service issues could pose a problem. I realise people drop calls and the like, but at least you know immediately as opposed to a text message which just zips off into the void.

Not so much a concern with having iMessage support specifically, but using text messages in general for 911 calls.

Last edited:

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Not a complaint per-se, but SMS isn't exactly the best way to get a distress signal out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service#Unreliability). That coupled with some past iMessage service issues could pose a problem. I realise people drop calls and the like, but at least you know immediately as opposed to a text message which just zips off into the void.

Not so much a concern with having iMessage support specifically, but using text messages in general for 911 calls.

It's not a replacement for calls. It's an alternative.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Why would this be better than just sending it as an SMS message?

----------

911 should be accessible by all means of communication.

So, I should be able to email 911, or send them a letter in the mail? Kind of defeats the purpose. What about morse code?

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
[ halp i r bein murdered send crops asap omg ]

[ *cops ]

[ 911: got ur msg cops otw ]

[ 911: hey running a lil late theyll c u soon tho ]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.