Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular password aggregating app 1Password, from AgileBits, just received a major update to Version 4, featuring a total redesign of the app.

1Password's new design has done away with the pin-code lock, replacing it with a master password much like the Mac app, the interface has been simplified, and the app, overall, is more organized. The toolbar features Favorites, which houses the most accessed passwords, and Categories, which contains most of the items that were on the previous app's toolbar. Folders, another entry on the toolbar, allow for even deeper organization.

Also included is a built-in browser, offering direct access to store password through a toolbar button in the browser.

1password_4.jpg
As with the original version of 1Password, users can generate unique passwords for each site they use, and store the data using military grade 256-bit AES protection. Users can also securely store other types of data, such as credit card information, notes, and banking information. A single master password unlocks the app, allowing for the memorization of one password instead of hundreds.

1Password also supports both iCloud and Dropbox syncing allowing user to make sure their passwords are kept up to date across all of their systems. iCloud syncing to Mac will, however, require a forthcoming update to 1Password for Mac.

Because 1Password is universal, AgileBits is releasing it as a brand new app. Owners of the current 1Password app will need to purchase the new version in order to access it. Older versions will continue to be supported and will sync with the new version of 1Password.

1Password [App Store] is launching with a promotional price of $7.99, a significant discount from the regular price of $17.99, and is now available for download.

Article Link: AgileBits Releases '1Password' Version 4

timd.mackey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Have yet to decide if i am mad that AgileBits is charging me for this new update.

This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.

I totally agree with you. I love 1Password and i could live without it, but it just makes life that much easier. You guys win, i have no clue where i was going with that first post. CHEERS :cool:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Been waiting for this for a while! Love it already. Takes my ipad one step closer to being a PC replacement.

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Its $8 which is probably the most expensive app I ever bought (I think the most expensive game I ever bought was Carcassonne for $10 but I had an itunes gift card)

Right now, I have a ton of passwords which I basically just list on an excel worksheet and its not efficient at all.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Why does this require iOS 6? Does iOS 6 have some special and required APIs?

I'm annoyed I can't run this on my jailbroken iPad 3.

But at least I got the update for half price.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.

They did promise everyone a while back that anyone who buys the app from Mac App Store will get the next version free, which makes sense since the next version for Mac will be Mac App Store exclusive.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't mind paying again for the app, but the browser (which is the whole point of using this app) hasn't evolve enough for me to pull the trigger.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've had every generation of 1Password on the Mac, but am on 3.x because now that it is MacAppStore, it is $50 to get on that, and as such when the Mac version goes to 4.0, I will have to upgrade via MAS for $50 since they don't offer it otherwise anymore.

As for iOS, I got it when it originally came out for the iPhone $8.99. Then after the iPad came out they didn't go Universal at first, so there was an iPad HD version for $14.99 and they didn't offer good syncing at the time. Now they use Dropbox and it is much better. Not sure if the new one uses iCloud. But buying the new iOS version for another $7.99 or ($17.99) feels like I have paid too many times for this. And yet if I don't I get left behind.

All that said, it is a great software, worth purchasing, and a worthwhile developer to support.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09

It's a new app. Why should they be ashamed of themselves? If you considered it expensive, you shouldn't have bought it then, and you shouldn't buy this new version.

I personally love 1Password, and if the app was free then I'd happily buy the developers two beers (to share between the entire development studio). As the app costs the same as two beers in Wetherspoon's, and less than two beers in a nice pub, I consider this a very reasonable price.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I got tired of having to pay £££ for every platform I wanted to use 1Password on, and major updates costing £££ to upgrade as well, so I stopped using it.

I'm using LastPass now and to me it beats 1Password in every way - It's multiplatform, it doesn't require me to store my database locally on every device, the mobile platform is a single charge ($12/yr) and can be used on all my mobile devices (no seperate charge for iPhone, iPad versions).

1Password always struck me as 'nickel and diming' me every time I wanted to have it on a different platform or different device so they've lost me, my wife and my friends as customers.

Edit: Reading the full list of changes in this new version of 1Password, it reads like an itemised list of features already present in LastPass

cg399

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
Not really; they even call it an update. The App Store description:

I think, to be fair, that is the description of the update from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2. Version 4 is a new app.

Just need iCloud support in the desktop app and then we'll be cooking!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0153.PNG
    IMG_0153.PNG
    159.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.