Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 AM   #126
ThomasJL
macrumors 6502a

Google Maps = more iPhone 5 sales?

Apple may think they are losing customers with the release of the new Google Maps, but I think that is wrong in many cases. I, for example, have not bought an iPhone 5 because of the previous lack of a Google Maps app. Since there is a Google Maps app now, I will buy the iPhone 5.
ThomasJL is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 AM   #127
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
It really proves that Google is all about you using their services... regardless of device.

Or manufacturer.

Or OS. (even Google's own OS)

It's all about the money. And the iOS platform is a moneymaker... too many eyeballs... too big too ignore.
I get it. And I also feel iOS maps is a dead man walking.

Seriously...fancy appearance and cool SIRI integration is on death row for people who want prefer a nav app that actually works, no matter what. Translation, the vast majority of iPhone users want to navigate wherever via car, foot, transit, whatever and just have it work. Google saves the day.

I ditched physical GPS units many years ago and use Google Nav/Transit on my Android phones. It's been 100% flawless, nationwide (and in Mexico).

Best, iOS mapping team. Hope you have a backup project.

Nexus 5 & 7, OnePlusOne, iPhone 5, iPad 4, 15" rMBP, SP3, Lumia 920.

coolbreeze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:04 AM   #128
Fudai
macrumors newbie

Where's street view?
Fudai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:06 AM   #129
janderson0719
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
If "scrolling" is a major problem then there's not too much to complain about. I'd rather have "jagged" scrolling that gets me to where I need to go instead of smooth scrolling that gets me lost.
Has Apple maps really got you lost? C'mon, be honest.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudai View Post
Where's street view?
Exactly.

The UI is a little confusing at first.
janderson0719 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:08 AM   #130
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Where's street view?
Ah! They saved something for Android!

spoiler: it's amazing

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:08 AM   #131
ammonkapow
macrumors member

iGoogle (but not THAT iGoogle)

So Google just released the Google Maps app, but more importantly released URL API's that allow apps to link straight to Maps and other Google apps in the future. I think this is way more impressive than maps.

Consider an iOS subnet of Google apps that entire circumvent the default apps. Use the Search app to find a location (using voice, no less), route it on Google Maps, set an event located there on Google Calendar, and send invites to it using Gmail. I think that is very incredible considering how locked down iOS is. Also, friends that get any links from these apps will open them in Chrome, automatically.

Now consider how powerful that is on devices missing Siri, or iOS 6, or almost every advance Apple has left off of older mobile devices. iPod Touch 4th gen just became a lot more valuable.

With that groundwork laid, Siri's most used command could be "Launch Google Search".
ammonkapow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:12 AM   #132
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Where's street view?
Hold your thumb on any location on the map until an address pops up, then click the address on the bottom of the screen. There's Street View. Enjoy.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:12 AM   #133
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
Australian police issued the same warning for Google Maps users, but link-bait stories tend to favor Apple, so I'm sure you haven't heard of this

Police warn of safety concerns from Google Maps
Careful, friend. This is MacRumors. It's not safe to speak ill of Google around here...

Try again, but this time suggest that it was a clever ploy to help detect people stealing map data.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:12 AM   #134
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Maybe they're going it to pull the App forever in a year or two so then we really HAVE to switch to Android because their Maps are so much better? lol
Use a modern Android device and you will quickly realize the maps are gravy.

It's simply superior vs a grid launcher.

Truth.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:14 AM   #135
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckusToothnuts View Post
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.
I don't get your point. I have the iPhone 4 and this app, with turn-by-turn directions.
santaliqueur is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:16 AM   #136
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Apple may think they are losing customers with the release of the new Google Maps, but I think that is wrong in many cases. I, for example, have not bought an iPhone 5 because of the previous lack of a Google Maps app. Since there is a Google Maps app now, I will buy the iPhone 5.
There you go. Lost Android customer. Confusing, Google.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:18 AM   #137
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I never said I hate Apple. I genuinely have issues with how they sue everyone who makes competing stuff
This is what companies do, especially tech companies. Every medium to large tech company has lawyers employed to literally do nothing but sue people all day. It's just how business is done. It isn't until Apple got involved that the media realized they could produce link-bait articles about it for profit.

Are you aware that Nokia and many other companies sued Apple for the original iPhone?
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:20 AM   #138
harry68
macrumors newbie

Where is the 45 3D view?

I can only see old satellite views, but not the new views like in the PC-browser version.
harry68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:21 AM   #139
silversin
macrumors member

The app looks clean, nice and it works. Thanks Google.
silversin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:29 AM   #140
rhgold53
macrumors newbie

Whenever I try putting in a start point and destination, Google maps gives me only a "preview" button in the lower right corner, which leads to the old-fashioned written set of turns. How do I make it give voice directions?
rhgold53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:29 AM   #141
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
This is what companies do, especially tech companies. Every medium to large tech company has lawyers employed to literally do nothing but sue people all day. It's just how business is done. It isn't until Apple got involved that the media realized they could produce link-bait articles about it for profit.

Are you aware that Nokia and many other companies sued Apple for the original iPhone?
Who has Google sued? Have they sued Apple for the blatant shade swipe-down feature in iOS?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:30 AM   #142
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.mac View Post
be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?
This. This. This.
someone28624 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:34 AM   #143
katewes
macrumors 6502

Now that there's Google Maps for iOS, there must come a point when Apple realises there is no point in trying to compete in maps. Apple doesn't have the will and energy to put into maps to do well. It's too far from their core area of expertise.
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:37 AM   #144
kewldude
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
No one should be 100% committed to any corporation. Yes, I love Apple, but I integrate a variety of different products and services from all different tech companies into my life depending on what I like best. I've been using Google maps for such a long time, I don't see any reason why I'd abandon it just because Apple came out with a map application of their own...

I like Windows OS for desktops/laptops and the applications they come with, I like Google internet services (Gmail, Chrome, Google Search, YouTube), love Samsung's smart TVs, and I love Apple's mobile/tablet hardware/iOS... you should integrate different products and services into your life as opposed to blindly following one company, it's unreasonable.

I think Apple should have just simply acknowledged that Google obviously has the maps/satellite/search feature to their advantage -- each large tech company has their advantages and should be able to accept that. Google should acknowledge that Facebook has the advantage in social networking, etc.
Very well said!! Take the best of both worlds (all worlds) instead of blindly following any one company.
kewldude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:40 AM   #145
entropys
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
There you go. Lost Android customer. Confusing, Google.
You are thinking this wrong, because Google makes SFA money from android. It makes money from mobile search. So, in this case, they kept their advertising customer's product they would not have if the product was waiting until Apple Maps was up to scratch before buying a new phone. Now they will buy one that has google's data mining tool on it. Everybody wins.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:43 AM   #146
labars
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckusToothnuts View Post
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google supports customer choice whereas Apple believes in creating a monopoly.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again.
You make it sound like Google is doing some sort of charity work on iOS. They make money from the app, and that's the only reason it's on iOS.
labars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:51 AM   #147
maconservative
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Anyone else notice that Google maps uses far more battery than Apple maps?
Yes. I tried some simple routing shortly after I installed Google Maps and it drained 10% in less than 10 minutes. No other open apps.

4S, iOS 6
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:52 AM   #148
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
There was nothing like the iPhone on the market. I don't need to repeat what others say for what I saw just 5 years ago.
Plenty of simular in idea and design out there before and right after the iphone was released. As anyone who actually used a lot of devices and software at the time saw the whole market moved towards such screen centered devices, that didnt just start after apple released the iphone.
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:53 AM   #149
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconservative View Post
Yes. I tried some simple routing shortly after I installed Google Maps and it drained 10% in less than 10 minutes. No other open apps.

4S, iOS 6
It uses quite a lot of data.
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:56 AM   #150
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry68 View Post
Where is the 45 3D view?

I can only see old satellite views, but not the new views like in the PC-browser version.
Touch and drag up/down with two fingers (fingers side by side).

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion