Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Philalbe
macrumors 6502

Importing files into Garageband for iPad?

Hi,

I was very excited about Garageband being released for the iPad. I downloaded it last night and love it, but I noticed there seem to be a couple of missing features (understandable since it's a mobile version). 1) I tried to import Garagband files from my mac but they weren't recognized by the app. 2) I used to love coming up with a melody using the virtual piano and then experimenting by changing the instrumentation, say to guitar etc. It seems like with the iPad version you have to stay within the instrument family? At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed these issues too? I suppose they could always address such things in future updates?

- Phil
Philalbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:03 PM   #2
iscripter
macrumors member

unable to import anything into garageband

I too have been trying to import files into garageband for ipad and it just does not recognize any of the files I have tried. I have tried garageband (.band) and .mp3 and .aiff files. None of these seem to work. If anyone figures this out please let me know.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
elliotttate
macrumors newbie

Importing into ipad Garageband

I found a way to import tracks into the ipad garageband by simply copying the aif files into the .band file (right click on the .band file and click show package contents).

Steps:
1. On the ipad, create a few 1 second recordings
2. Save the file and export it into itunes so you can copy the .band file out
3. Do the right click show package and go into the media folder
4. Replace any of the Audio Recorder#01.aif with the tracks you want to import
5. Copy it back into the ipad with itunes and then you can drag your imported tracks to your desired length.

The only thing only takes a few seconds to do if you know what you're doing... hope this helps!

Brian Tate
elliotttate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

^^

Would it be possible to use TinyUmbrella to do the same thing without having to first export the project?
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
elliotttate
macrumors newbie

Garageband Import

Yeah, I haven't tried TinyUmbrella, but with the freeware program iphone explorer, (http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/) The whole process is as easy as dragging and dropping to import (once you create a bookmark in iphoneexplorer for the garageband directory) Thanks for the suggestion. This is *Almost* as easy as if an import function was built into itunes...

Brian
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:46 PM   #6
elliotttate
macrumors newbie

Oh, also, I tried using the same program to import samples into the sampler and it worked really well... It uses the standard logic exs files. I haven't tried it yet, but there's a good chance that more complex samples could be added for high quality instruments (like some of the exs files included in logic). Also, importing new loops work pretty well too...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:25 PM   #7
elliotttate
macrumors newbie

I just figured out a way to open up the mac garageband files back in the ipad really easily. I'll post a little tutorial here when I get a minute: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=15&tstart=0
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Dbpehrson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotttate View Post
I just figured out a way to open up the mac garageband files back in the ipad really easily. I'll post a little tutorial here when I get a minute: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=15&tstart=0
Have you gotten a chance to post the tutorial yet? The link doesn't work. Thanks.
Dbpehrson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
fixed1t
macrumors newbie

Garageband Mac to iPad Oneshot File Converter

Doing manual file conversion is like having a new guitar and keeping it in the case. You happy to spend time getting it out and putting it away the first few weeks then rapidly it loses its appeal and if you don't leave it out on a stand where you can easily get at it, it will stay in the case.

So i did the manual translation for a few times then thought this is no good, I'll write an Application to convert from Garageband Mac to the ipad.

info on the converter is on my blog along with links to a downloadable files on my website to try and test. There is also a link to a yourtube video at fixed1t. The blog is at:

http://fixed1t-music-software.blogsp...d-to-ipad-one- shot.html?m=1

Please leave comments if you like it and find it useful.

Cheers fixed1t
fixed1t is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad