Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
g0gie
macrumors regular

My Powerbook predictions!!!

So yes. I was bored but I thought I would take a stab at it. First of all the date in which the PB comes out. My estimate 27 or 28th of September (next week). I reason this because of a few things:

1) according to the product cycle guide on macrumors, they are due just at about this exact time
2) Apple is having a small seminar in New york on Oct 1st to help people learn how to use their "new" powerbooks. although the specs listed are the same they could easily change, and why use the word "new" if the've been out since late January. Furthermore, by holding this seminar it will entice buyers to buy a powerbook after seeing all the neat things it can do with a note saying PB's were updated just this week
3) Good timing : 1) Paris expo will have ended and therefore not steal the thunder 2) Education promotion ends the weekend before 3) We see LOTS of discounts/ refurb listings everywhere showing a clear out of current inventory

Things I expect but dont have reasons for except what I hope for and commom sense in accordance to the market-

1) Higher resolution screens
2) faster CPU's (even if marginally, hoping for 7448 chips) , possibly more RAM and HD space
3) upgraded GPU - perhaps the mobile ati chips

now you guys can pick apart why these things wont happen!! get cracking!!!
g0gie is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:06 AM   #2
mongoos150
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gie
So yes. I was bored but I thought I would take a stab at it. First of all the date in which the PB comes out. My estimate 27 or 28th of September (next week). I reason this because of a few things:

1) according to the product cycle guide on macrumors, they are due just at about this exact time
2) Apple is having a small seminar in New york on Oct 1st to help people learn how to use their "new" powerbooks. although the specs listed are the same they could easily change, and why use the word "new" if the've been out since late January. Furthermore, by holding this seminar it will entice buyers to buy a powerbook after seeing all the neat things it can do with a note saying PB's were updated just this week
3) Good timing : 1) Paris expo will have ended and therefore not steal the thunder 2) Education promotion ends the weekend before 3) We see LOTS of discounts/ refurb listings everywhere showing a clear out of current inventory

Things I expect but dont have reasons for except what I hope for and commom sense in accordance to the market-

1) Higher resolution screens
2) faster CPU's (even if marginally, hoping for 7448 chips) , possibly more RAM and HD space
3) upgraded GPU - perhaps the mobile ati chips

now you guys can pick apart why these things wont happen!! get cracking!!!
Higher resolution screens would be awesome - like the Dell Inspiron 700m.

Better graphics chips would be sweet as well, minimizing power consumption. Come on, CPU speed increase and resolution increase! *fingers crossed* - perhaps something to set the 17"/upgraded 15" apart from the 12" and lower 15" powerbooks?
mongoos150 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:08 AM   #3
g0gie
macrumors regular

If IM right about the update dates, I will consider myself a genious as should you all!!!
g0gie is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:14 AM   #4
ColoJohnBoy
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ColoJohnBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gie
If IM right about the update dates, I will consider myself a genious as should you all!!!
Such modesty and deference. What a gentleman.

By the way, you misspelled 'genius'.
ColoJohnBoy is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:15 AM   #5
g0gie
macrumors regular

i cant spell... im sorry... but im still a genIUS
g0gie is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
KittenKrusher
macrumors regular

God I hope your right, lol.

I could careless about speedbumps and such, I would just like to have a better LCD.
KittenKrusher is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:28 AM   #7
ColoJohnBoy
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ColoJohnBoy
I do hope they update them soon. Given the state of my PowerBook (Badly burning my leg, warped around the power jack to the point of not always being able to charge) I'm thinking I'll be able to talk them into replacing it. And as it's BTO, I doubt they'll do it with a refurb. High-Res LCD, lower-power processor... here's to hoping.
ColoJohnBoy is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:31 AM   #8
bursty
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bursty
Hmmm thats an interesting prediction. Let's hope it comes true. I would love to see one last PB update before they go Intel. Good work.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 01:54 AM   #9
kretzy
macrumors 601

A good and logical prediction.

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- better battery life (lower power consuming processor)
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive
- AND black anodized aluminium casing option

All for the same price.
kretzy is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:33 PM   #10
im_to_hyper
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to im_to_hyper Send a message via Skype™ to im_to_hyper
Now wouldn't THAT be great! I don't think that would happen, unless they REALLY wanted to achieve HIGH sales but making a small profit margin. All those specs would come at a high price for Apple and would be very hard NOT to pass on to the consumer.

If this came true, I would sell my current laptop and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_altitude

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.
im_to_hyper is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:38 PM   #11
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
Quote:

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.
noooooooooooo X-brite screen for the love of satan noooooo i know a friend that has that style screen on his dell laptop and i HATE HATE HATE HATE it, it makes my eyes hurt and gives me more of a headache than i normally have. Everything else besides that and the black color is ok in my book.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:18 PM   #12
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

I agree, the X-brite screens have far too much glare.
Sedulous is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:37 PM   #13
elevenpower
macrumors newbie

What about Intel PB predictions?

I didn't want to make an entirely new post about my question. But I was wondering what were the predictions for the Intel Powerbooks? Do you guys think that Apple will have more models to choose from? Like other laptop manufacturers? Or do you think they will just revamp the current lineup with Intel chips?
elevenpower is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:44 PM   #14
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

g0gie, if you are right, i will personally call you a GENIUS!@$%
tekmoe is offline   0
Old Sep 23, 2005, 01:02 AM   #15
g0gie
macrumors regular

for those of you that like the xbrite screens, what you CAN do is get an Avery screen protector/cover for your powerbook. IT does add gloss and thus adds glare, but the picture quality looks absolutly wonderful. Its amazing what a simple piece of plastic can do for your powerbook/ibook. I have one on my pb now and really, it makes the XGA screen look like its high def, derno why it does , but it does
g0gie is offline   0
Old Sep 23, 2005, 02:19 AM   #16
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:

I'd really love to see:
SNIP
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive
SNIP

All for the same price.
Yeah, looks good.

I doubt the standard 1 G ram, but the rest looks right. A price drop would be good given in 12 months we should have PBs Intel with like double the battery life (?) and all round better design (HD screens).
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:24 PM   #17
cocozz
macrumors newbie

Just a greater (lighter) screen (like 15"/17") and lower power consuming will be great.
cocozz is offline   0
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:02 PM   #18
mddharma
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01
noooooooooooo X-brite screen for the love of satan noooooo i know a friend that has that style screen on his dell laptop and i HATE HATE HATE HATE it, it makes my eyes hurt and gives me more of a headache than i normally have. Everything else besides that and the black color is ok in my book.
I too have to agree on the X-brite screen. The glare problems in most environments are terrible. I would like to see 128 vram in the 12", faster hard drive, and the new processors for more power and more battery life. Here's hoping!
mddharma is offline   0
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:54 PM   #19
kmarketing
macrumors 6502

Man, those 12" powerbooks get hot enough already. I can only imagine how much more heat there would be with 128mb video memory.
kmarketing is offline   0
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:37 PM   #20
themacman
macrumors 6502

whatever update comes out will be apreciated. they have to update soon, i need a laptop.
themacman is offline   0
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:06 PM   #21
MacPassion
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarketing
Man, those 12" powerbooks get hot enough already. I can only imagine how much more heat there would be with 128mb video memory.
do they really? do you feel it on the keyboard/trackpad area?i was thinking about getting one myself. i hate spending all the money for a 15" that does not have a great screen to be honest...
MacPassion is offline   0
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:14 PM   #22
Chundles
macrumors G4

You should see those xbrite screens down here, you get reflections off them at night.....

They're just horrible to look at, brighter and clearer yes, but only in the parts of the screen where absolutely no light is falling.

I'd like to see them beef up the brightness of the displays so I can actually use this thing outside.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:48 PM   #23
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

you know id say your right about the when of the updates will happen you have quite a set of reasonable ideas there.

yet I have lost faith in apple making any significant updates to the powerbook lineup untill they reveal the intel books back when I first got interested in apple I wanted a powerbook (one of those people expecting g5 powerbooks every wensday) that was like a year ago and Ive finally quit the powerbook line and gone with an ibook bought it september 24th gotta love that free ipod mini. Its a collectors item now
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:50 PM   #24
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'd really love to see:
- X-brite style screens.
- 100GB HD standard
- 1 GB RAM standard
- 128 VRAM standard
- DL Superdrive

All for the same price.
gig of ram... when hell freazes over remember how long it took them to get past 256
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:52 PM   #25
KittenKrusher
macrumors regular

Yeah I doubt they will make 1 GB standard on a Powerbook when 512 is still standard on a PowerMac.
KittenKrusher is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers