Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I took delivery of my new 21.5 base imac on Monday. Fantastic piece of kit and very pleased with it apart from a concern about the screen!!

I have read many threads regarding issues with apple screens. Not just the imac but also ipad and iPhone issues. Such as backlight bleed and yellowing etc.
I did in fact replace an ipad 3 earlier this year due to severe backlight problems. But my current one is near perfect!

I am in no way a perfectionist nor do I suffer from OCD. And realise nothing in life is perfect!

But I am just a bit bothered by my imac screen!
If for example I have my calender or safari fully blown. (Or any white/light background)
The top of the screen is brilliant white but as you move down the screen it seems to graduate into an off white/slightly yellow. This is especially noticeable when scrolling for example.
But if I open an app and it takes up only a portion of the screen it isn't really that bad!
The backlight seems ok apart from slight bleed on right but not too concerned about it.
The weird thing is. If I stand back from the screen say approx 5'. I can't notice it!!
A very nice chap at apple guided me through transfering data from my old pc on the phone. And I mentioned this to him and he said his screen was exactly the same. And I don't think he was trying to fob me off.

The thing is I could exchange and get a worse one. And was wondering if anyone else has same issue.
Love the machine. It far exceeded my expectations. And some advice would be most appreciated!!

Btw. There is no point in taking and posting pics as it just wouldn't show. As like I mentioned if I stand back it isn't noticeable. Only when I am sat down in front of it at my desk!:(

Last edited:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
2 things:

1 - don't listen to people that tell you it's "the glue, and it needs to dry fully". That's a load of garbage.

2 - they've been using these same screens for awhile and what you're describing is exactly what I had with every single iMac I've ever owned (3 of them). Noticeable difference in color on a browser depending upon where you look. I finally gave up expecting any better from Apple, as they simply don't appear to give a damn.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This is what to do.

Wait a little while first. I have no clue why, but the first time I turned on my Retina iPad I couldn't believe how weird it looked, really yellow.

I thought, oh no it's true :D

Then after a short while i didn't see this. Notice how I said "I didn't see this", and not "it was gone"? This is because I haven't a clue what it all means, and I don't care really.

Point is: give it about a week and if your are still freaking, then go somewhere where there are other iMacs and examine them. If you see a difference, bring it in to an Apple store and have them turn it on while you are there and ask their opinion. Now these tech guys range from useful to arrogant, so feel your way thought that mess.

Good luck :eek:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
This is what to do.

Wait a little while first. I have no clue why, but the first time I turned on my Retina iPad I couldn't believe how weird it looked, really yellow.

I thought, oh no it's true :D

Then after a short while i didn't see this. Notice how I said "I didn't see this", and not "it was gone"? This is because I haven't a clue what it all means, and I don't care really.

Point is: give it about a week and if your are still freaking, then go somewhere where there are other iMacs and examine them. If you see a difference, bring it in to an Apple store and have them turn it on while you are there and ask their opinion. Now these tech guys range from useful to arrogant, so feel your way thought that mess.

Good luck :eek:

You got used to a screen that was uniformly warm (yellow hue). You never get used to a screen that has large portions of the screen a different temp/color than other parts of the screen.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I have a 2006 17" Imac thats screen is perfect white and has zero backlight issue...if i ever decide to spend major $$$ to get a new one,i expect the same perfection.

Take it back!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You got used to a screen that was uniformly warm (yellow hue). You never get used to a screen that has large portions of the screen a different temp/color than other parts of the screen.

Yeah, well Sure then that's that. But your assuming I got used to it and the screen remained the same. Could have been the other way around.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks to everyone for the replies!;)

Like most people have advised. I will give it another week to see if it settles down or I can live with it.
For my purposes. I doubt I will frequently blow the screen up to full resolution (when it is most noticeable). The only time I will do this is
if I am watching a movie etc.
I did check my ipad again last night. And I always thought it was perfect but it isn't!!
The browser at top on safari has always had a slightly yellow tint. So I turned ipad and can see a yellow hue at bottom if you get my drift. So basically I think the mac is the same. But a very small section being very white!
I'm beginning to think that all apple products are the same from one degree to another. It just depends how much you are looking for it. So if I can live with my ipad. Hopefully I can live with the mac!!
Funny though how I have a Samsung 40" TV. And uniformity is perfect!
Mind you. I am sat 10' or more from tv. And as I mentioned I only notice yellow hue when sat right in front of mac. But not if I stand back from it say 4' !!
Anyway. I'm glad apple have extended the return period (in UK anyway) a further 2 weeks because of Xmas holiday period. So gives me more time to adjust or decide!

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Well. After 1 week of ownership I have decided to contact apple 1st thing in the morning and ask for an exchange. Either by mail or at a store!
I cannot live with the the fact that the screen especially when scrolling or moving my eyes from top to bottom changes colour!!

I just hope the replacement isn't worse. Otherwise I will be asking for a refund!:eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have no such issues on my screen. If you do take it to the genius bar make sure they leave it on for 30 minutes to warm up. Also consider the store lighting will be completely different to your home set up so it might be difficult to replicate.
Good luck, and I hope your replacement is a good one like mine.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I have no such issues on my screen. If you do take it to the genius bar make sure they leave it on for 30 minutes to warm up. Also consider the store lighting will be completely different to your home set up so it might be difficult to replicate.
Good luck, and I hope your replacement is a good one like mine.
Thanks Fanboy!;)

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the lighting in the stores (I'm sure they do it deliberately)!
I'm going to see if i can get an exchange by post first off. As I live approx 2 hour drive from my nearest apple store!
And hate dealing with the so called geniuses. Last time I was at the bar with an ipad problem I knew more than they did!!:p

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks Fanboy!;)

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the lighting in the stores (I'm sure they do it deliberately)!
I'm going to see if i can get an exchange by post first off. As I live approx 2 hour drive from my nearest apple store!
And hate dealing with the so called geniuses. Last time I was at the bar with an ipad problem I knew more than they did!!:p

Good luck man my 27" is flawless and people should expect nearly the same if shelling out big doe

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Glad you got sorted Bob!:;)

I know you we're really worried about your screen!!
Thx Chuck, yes was almost in your shoes and its awful hated the thought of having to go in and deal with the "geniuses" who always seem to think I'm getting over on Apple for some reason and give me attitude. Like I said good luck and try and ask for a replacement via FedEx tell them your work depends on it and you want to use yours for the time being, maybe that'll get your order expedited.

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
My new 27" 2012 iMac is the yellowing problem worse than any iMac I've ever owned (and I have had them all, every top line model, every generation since the G5 iMac).

This new iMac screen is very yellow down towards the bottom, fairly badly. I may have to return it, but I want to see if it gets better over time or I get used to it as I did in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.