Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pixelmator Apologizes for Crashes Resulting from Nvidia Driver Bug

The team behind Pixelmator has posted a lengthy apology on their blog following the discovery of a bug that would sometimes cause Macs to restart or the app to crash when intensively using the popular image editor.

It turns out, the newest Nvidia Geforce graphics card drivers in OS X 10.8.2 are causing the issue, and Pixelmator is working with Apple to resolve the issue.
Quote:
Everything we do at Pixelmator Team is aimed at making your favorite app the best in the world. With every minor update, we strive to live up to a high-quality standard. We even put aside new features, such as layer styles, for the sake of quality improvements. So far, we are happy with what we've achieved. However, there is one issue we wanted to talk about a little bit more.
A month or so ago, after the most recent OS X update (10.8.2), we've bumped into a problem that causes certain Macs to restart when intensively using Pixelmator. Sometimes, the app would stop responding without restarting a computer, or just cause some graphical glitches.

We did everything to find the root cause of the problem. We've researched a vast amount of information about OS X internals. We've torn down our Macs. We even reached out to Apple. Finally, the picture was clear: It's an issue with Nvidia Geforce graphics card drivers.

Although the issue isn't with Pixelmator, we didn't give up. We've searched for various workarounds, and then, we checked with you to see if any of them helped (thanks so much for being so patient and for taking the time to test those workarounds). But in the end, nothing worked.

Good thing, though--the guys at Apple are very helpful, and as soon as we hear about a solution, we'll let you know about it that very moment.
The affected Macs have GT 120, GT 320M, GT 330M, 9400M, and GT 9600 Nvidia graphics cards.

Article Link: Pixelmator Apologizes for Crashes Resulting from Nvidia Driver Bug
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
eyoosuf
macrumors newbie

I am so used to PIX...

I am so used to the PixelMator and yesterday i realised it is crashing often and then i switched to the Photoshop
eyoosuf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
HMI
macrumors 6502a

"Dear customers,

I'm sorry Nvidia sucks!

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Pixelmator"
HMI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
geeksweep
macrumors newbie

Nvidias on Apples hotseat list

A few years back Nvidia shipped faulty graphics cards that would cause the whole system to overheat over time and cause other problems. Apple banned them for a while on their systems and it looks like Nvidia is back at it again. They better straighten up or they will lose a HUGE customer(apple).
geeksweep is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksweep View Post
A few years back Nvidia shipped faulty graphics cards that would cause the whole system to overheat over time and cause other problems. Apple banned them for a while on their systems and it looks like Nvidia is back at it again. They better straighten up or they will lose a HUGE customer(apple).
Who writes Nvidia's Apple drivers, Nvidia or Apple themselves? Regardless, isn't it Apple's responsibility to properly test graphics drivers, especially given the mere handful of them officially supported on their hardware?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
newdeal
macrumors 68000

My pixelmator was really beachballing when I was dealing with some simple art (files were not large but the canvas dimensions were) and I never had had an issue before so I was wondering why this was happening. Its on a 15" 2010 macbook pro so it does have one of those discrete chips in it. I think I deleted pixelmator and installed photoshop instead which just is better but I hate how photoshop installs all of these other things I don't need and clutters up my applications folder even when I do a minimal install
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

I Love Pixelmator

Pixelmator is probably my most used application besides web and mail. Love to mess with photos and improve them.

The PM team is VERY responsive and forthcoming with information. That just binds me even closer to the product. Honesty and acknowledgement of "oops" increase customer base confidence.

Secrecy and silence have the opposite effect...
SeattleMoose is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Pixelmator really went to the ends of the earth to fix this one

Unfortunately, since VERSION 2.0 when I became a customer, I noticed that this app suffers from memory corruption on very large images, especially if I leave them open and multitask for hours or days. Repeating patterns will appear on the image, actual corruption of the image itself. This is on MBP w/Geforce as well as MBP w/HD 3000 and MBA w/HD 4000.

Also I have no idea why they would tear apart their macs to solve this problem. That does not make any sense at all, it just makes them sound amateur

I really love the app BTW and am a huge Pixelmator proponent
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65832

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I would like to love Pixelmator, but I just can't use that horribly black user interface. How they came up with that, and thought it was great is beyond me. Absolutely unuseable.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I still love it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Pixelmator rocks... just started using it after switching through 7 other photo editors over the last 4 years. I appreciate a company that shares info like this and will be a proponent even more now. Best software on the planet and I got mine on th App store for only 14.99!!!!!!!!!! worth 5-6 times that easy.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I would like to love Pixelmator, but I just can't use that horribly black user interface. How they came up with that, and thought it was great is beyond me. Absolutely unuseable.
Perhaps they didn't want to look too much like Final Cut Pro X?
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:16 PM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI View Post
"Dear customers,

I'm sorry Nvidia sucks!

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Pixelmator"
These are older cards. AS I recall those drivers were never amazing. The 9400m and 320m were integrated graphics. Their choice was to use one of those or accept intel's GMA graphics. I'd say they made the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
Who writes Nvidia's Apple drivers, Nvidia or Apple themselves? Regardless, isn't it Apple's responsibility to properly test graphics drivers, especially given the mere handful of them officially supported on their hardware?
It is. You're buying a system from Apple, not building one yourself. It should have decent drivers. On Windows AMD seems to have more driver bugs. I'd probably prefer them under OSX if it wasn't for the use of CUDA in some applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
Pixelmator is probably my most used application besides web and mail. Love to mess with photos and improve them.

The PM team is VERY responsive and forthcoming with information. That just binds me even closer to the product. Honesty and acknowledgement of "oops" increase customer base confidence.

Secrecy and silence have the opposite effect...
I have creative suite, and yet I still intend to purchase Pixelmator just to see what it can do. Adobe neglected many things for years in Photoshop. The brushes sampled in a really horrible way, and the pressure sensitive shape dynamics were pretty bad compared to some of the other software packages. It was still usable, but it made some things unecessarily tedious. Some things didn't work well meaning they required more work.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

I knew it! These Nvidia drivers are plagued with issues. And memory leaks are just one of them! (These leaks happen overtime when an App is dependent on GPU is some way, such as GPU acceleration).

I've sent Apple so many feedbacks, but nobody listens. Hopefully, they have fixed all the issues in the upcoming OS X 10.8.3 update.

Please send feedback if you haven't.
sshhoott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Nvidia is not likely to be at fault in this case so I doubt Apple will blame nvidia. Apple co-develops the graphics drivers that nvidia publishes for its cards. More than likely this is a fault of the changes made by apple in the last patch.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 PM   #16
throAU
macrumors 68030

Thats good of them. Considering the driver bugs are not their fault.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:26 PM   #17
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Just ask all the 2010 15" MBP owners with the GT330 cards....since ML if you use an external monitor or HDMI out, on occasion you will get a black screen or kernel panic coming out of sleep or when disconnecting the monitor. It is so bad that Apple is replacing the logic boards under a special warranty exention for three years from purchase date. Odd thing is, it is only under ML. Apple fixed it with a patch for Lion but something about ML cannot be fixed...but why a logic board replacement? Points to a chip defect to me that software cannot work around.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:20 AM   #18
GermanyChris
Banned

I can use Ps efficiently but I can't understand Pixelmator. I do however like the fact that they talk unlike Adobe and Apple.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:44 AM   #19
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
Nvidia is not likely to be at fault in this case so I doubt Apple will blame nvidia. Apple co-develops the graphics drivers that nvidia publishes for its cards. More than likely this is a fault of the changes made by apple in the last patch.
Apple only writes the front end of the graphics subsystem. The actual drivers are written by Nvidia, who sometimes publish updated ones on their website before they're rolled into the Apple point updates.
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:54 AM   #20
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I use it about everyday, and I love Pixelmator'S UI, simple, sleek and sexy.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:56 AM   #21
tillsbury
macrumors 6502a

How could they tell the difference between the drivers crashing and Pixelmator just crashing randomly all the time?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:57 AM   #22
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Just ask all the 2010 15" MBP owners with the GT330 cards....since ML if you use an external monitor or HDMI out, on occasion you will get a black screen or kernel panic coming out of sleep or when disconnecting the monitor. It is so bad that Apple is replacing the logic boards under a special warranty exention for three years from purchase date. Odd thing is, it is only under ML. Apple fixed it with a patch for Lion but something about ML cannot be fixed...but why a logic board replacement? Points to a chip defect to me that software cannot work around.
I remember that particular bug. AFAIK it was more related to switching between the integrated and discrete graphics. It is solved by a logic board replacement. However, for me, it was never the dedicated card that caused the crashing, it was the integrated.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Mr.damien

Pixelmator, the app that made me switch to creative cloud.

I wasn't able to use this app without encountering a bug at any time.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:45 AM   #24
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I quite like the black user interface--it just seems to get out of the way, very clean and uncluttered. It was a little abrupt using it the first time, coming from an older version PS with the light grey UI, but even PS has moved to a darker interface now.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:58 AM   #25
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Pixelmator UI is simple and slick... plenty of horsepower to handle major editing too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion