Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
bebop603
macrumors newbie

Apple TV Remote Liquid Metal?

I have been enjoying my new Apple TV and having playing around with the remote--excellent industrial design. At first, I thought it was made from a slab of aluminum like other Apple products. But then I starting wondering how they put it together--there are no seams and getting the electronics in there would be a bit of a "ship in the bottle" proposition. Then I opened the back battery cover (an Apple product with a removable battery--shocking!! ). The cover itself definitely feels like plastic covered with metal rather than solid aluminum.
Then I realized that the entire remote is probably like that as well. If so, this is probably an application of liquid metal. It feels similar to my old Cruzer USB drive that also used liquid metal over plastic. Seems like the Apple is using a somewhat thicker coating that I remember on the Cruzer drive. Is this a test before Apple starts using liquid metal/plastic(or carbon fiber) on laptops etc?
bebop603 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

This is actually something that came up when we first got our hands on the remote. I thought it could be liquid metal too but I think the answer was that it is machined. Here's a good YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBqbzU4XPk
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater