Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #76
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
You really can't believe it? Welcome to my world I am in constant awe at al the crap that people believe either through lack of research of their own or believing everything they've read on a forum or been told while waiting in line at the Apple store...
I was just playing with his own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post
No, they patented a implementation of slide to unlock that involves manipulating an image over a predefined path. They didn't patent simply sliding to unlock.
BaldiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:30 PM   #77
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
I was just playing with his own words.

No, they patented a implementation of slide to unlock that involves manipulating an image over a predefined path. They didn't patent simply sliding to unlock.
Isn't that sliding to unlocking?
dalbir4444 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #78
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
That's not true at all. My friend has an uncle who works for Samsung, and he got to play with a prototype Galaxy S4.

...thing didn't even top out at 100,000 miles per second. We couldn't even reach Mars in time for dinner.

But hey, that's Samesuck for you. Overpromising and underdelivering.
I freaking knew it

Still decently fast though, I guess the billion light years was too good to be true, so we could get out of the milky way. Apple will do 50,000 miles a second and claim it as revolutionary then, half the specs man. This is ridiculous of these tech companies over promising and under delivering.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #79
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Really? Wow, thank you for that wonderful post, further proving my point against his argument.
Wow. If you think that supported your argument, more power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Isn't that sliding to unlocking?
Sure. But there's a big difference between patenting slide to unlock and patenting one of many possible implementations of slide to unlock.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 PM   #80
turtlez
Banned

Maybe Apple can invent them a new logo in return being granted rights to use those patents.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:40 PM   #81
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaz View Post
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.
Then why do you keep reading and posting? You will always attract more of that which you focus on.
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #82
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wow. If you think that supported your argument, more power to you.

Sure. But there's a big difference between patenting slide to unlock and patenting one of many possible implementations of slide to unlock.
What would another possible implementation be?
dalbir4444 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM   #83
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
What would another possible implementation be?
The prior art that was brought in to dispute Apple's patent consisted of sliding your finger along the bottom edge of the screen. No image.

You could also draw shapes on the screen. Write out a password. Simply require a certain distance be traveled by your finger on any path. Lots of different things could work.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:50 PM   #84
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The prior art that was brought in to dispute Apple's patent consisted of sliding your finger along the bottom edge of the screen. No image.

You could also draw shapes on the screen. Write out a password. Simply require a certain distance be traveled by your finger on any path. Lots of different things could work.
then it wouldn't be called slide to unlock. What you're suggesting is Draw to Unlock or Write to Unlock.
lazard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:51 PM   #85
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Time to clip those wings and bring Apple down to earth.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:52 PM   #86
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I see. Thanks.

I still don't think it should be patentable.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 PM   #87
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
And they actually make things with those patents.

What patent are you referring too? There is no "Multitouch patent".
Yes there is, and more than one in this regard. Here is one such patent

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20...ch-patent-faq/
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:58 PM   #88
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
F all the big corps. Period.

Governments need to end this BS for all these companies and lawyers.
"Government needs"... see you've been well indoctrinated to their mantra.

Yes having government involved will solve the problem!

Wasn't it the government that F'ed it up in the first place?!

What do you think the "US" from the USPTO stands for????

How about end government! Just go back to 'it takes a village'!!!!
/
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:00 PM   #89
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
"Good artists copy; great artists steal"

- Steve Jobs
The irony is that even the quote is stolen, and just 'updated'.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:02 PM   #90
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
not a patent troll in the traditional sense, since the company is jointly owned by Sony, Nokia, and MPEG LA.
Agree with you but now a days all big companies with considerable R&D are setting up these patent trolls. Main reason these companies don't want to be in the limelight of a sue/counter suie cycle. In case of counter suit liability is limited.

In normal case this would have been Sony/Nokia/MPEG LA vs Apple. Now Sony/Nokia/MPEG LA are protected, Apple is not.
iphoneclassic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #91
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
"Government needs"... see you've been well indoctrinated to their mantra.

Yes having government involved will solve the problem!

Wasn't it the government that F'ed it up in the first place?!

What do you think the "US" from the USPTO stands for????

How about end government! Just go back to 'it takes a village'!!!!
/
/
/
Relax yo body.

Reforming it could be a possibility since it is at a high level of ridiculousness at the moment. Goes for other countries as well.
Sacird is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:04 PM   #92
apolloa
macrumors 601

GOOD! This is nothing more then what Apple 'claims' to do. Company's protecting their patents and claiming for the rewards they deserve.

I have a suspicion this is going to drag on and on and on as this is by no means the first case like this, the fact Apple implemented technology and refused to pay licensing fees for it's use, but some on here would claim this is perfectly normal and how it all works? You know, you make something and wait for someone to sue you before you abide by the law....

But as I said before, all Apple does is abuse the corrupt patent and court systems and corrupt government in America to gain market share and increase in profits above it's competition.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:07 PM   #93
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I see. Thanks.

I still don't think it should be patentable.
I think HTC got it invalidated in the UK anyway so it is probably fairly weak.
unlinked is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:09 PM   #94
MatthaiosSaraj
macrumors member

They have patent for call rejection? So every time i reject a call i violate their patent
MatthaiosSaraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:20 PM   #95
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
It's clear that the only thing you enjoy is taking sides, not fairness.

This is simply a patent troll company. They don't make ANYTHING. Their entire website is about their so-called 'patents', and how to license them from them.

http://www.mobilemediaideas.com/patents.html

Look at all those laughable patents.

If Apple had those, you'd laugh at Apple, talking about how evil they are. But when another company uses these patents, it's ok? If 'Mobile Media Idea' made phones with these patents, okay, but they don't. They're just a patent troll.

Either say all the patents suck, or patents are good - but don't take sides just against Apple. It proves your signature is a joke. Your 'blind worship' is anti-Apple.
Again I'll say, if you're not actively developing a product within say three or five years of the grant of a patent, then the patent goes public domain. That would be the end of patent trolls.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:23 PM   #96
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Again I'll say, if you're not actively developing a product within say three or five years of the grant of a patent, then the patent goes public domain. That would be the end of patent trolls.
That's a good idea in theory, a bad one in practice. While it'd curtail just about all patent trolling in one fell swoop, it'd also mean all the practicing companies would end up being about 10 times as rabid with the lawsuits than they are now.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:25 PM   #97
identity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Apple is suing the Galaxy Note because of the S-pen which Apple doesn't develop any tablet pens.....but of course, this doesn't apply to Apple because hypocrisy....

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/06/...nging-patents/
identity is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:32 PM   #98
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
After all the crazy patents Apple claims, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the tip of the iceberg.
Agreed.

It is almost a guarantee that whatever one thinks up these days was in one way or another patented in the broadest sense.

Especially, if there was only one way of doing things.

I would also guess that it is almost impossible to check patents their interpretations and finding them all these days.

This is like the gold rush era, just different nuggets to cash in.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:38 PM   #99
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post
Apple is suing the Galaxy Note because of the S-pen which Apple doesn't develop any tablet pens.....but of course, this doesn't apply to Apple because hypocrisy....

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/06/...nging-patents/
Which patent is Apple claiming that Samsung devices with S-pens violate? I can't find anything from your link.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:42 PM   #100
leroypants
macrumors 6502

Typical Apple thievery.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion