Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I have been running my own business for the last 9 months.
I produce websites and videos for small business.

I was curious to know if there was anyone else here who did similar work.
Maybe bounce some ideas off each other.

hampus

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
I've been running my business almost the same amount of time with 2 of my friends. We're shooting and editing films full-time now and are finally making a living of it...

You can see our work here: www.gotfat.dk

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I've been running my business almost the same amount of time with 2 of my friends. We're shooting and editing films full-time now and are finally making a living of it...

You can see our work here: www.gotfat.dk

Nice work! I like the look and feel of your business.

What do you shoot on? Edit with?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Hampus,
thanks for showing that work. I don't know what was up with my browsers.

It was kind of cool to watch videos in another language. It really made me focus on the shooting and video work. It is very well done.

How long have you been a business for?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I also work in video productions for the music industry ... I currently use a Canon XF 100 (great quality for the price) ... my YouTube Channel is in my sig (demo reel is old and not shot with XF 100)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have had my business since 2005. I'm mostly hiring my self out as a DoP, but I do produce a few productions on my own. Most recently making 30 films for the Norwegian Police Academy to be used in their new shooting simulator. I've also produced (and shot) quite a few extreme sport films (some for broadcast).
I accumulated a few cameras over the years and rent those out as well.
Last camera I got was a RED EPIC, so I finally don't have to keep looking for the next camera to get ;-)
My Sony EX-3 have been my workhorse for many years. Still use it

----------

Strange - it should work in every browser... I have tested it in Chrome, Safari and Firefox with no problems...

Anyway - here's our Vimeo-channel: https://vimeo.com/gotfatproductions

Nice stuff there, just had a quick look. Reminded me of having to update my Vimeo and website

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I also work in video productions for the music industry ... I currently use a Canon XF 100 (great quality for the price) ... my YouTube Channel is in my sig (demo reel is old and not shot with XF 100)

which videos are shot with the xf100?

----------

I have had my business since 2005. I'm mostly hiring my self out as a DoP, but I do produce a few productions on my own. Most recently making 30 films for the Norwegian Police Academy to be used in their new shooting simulator. I've also produced (and shot) quite a few extreme sport films (some for broadcast).
I accumulated a few cameras over the years and rent those out as well.
Last camera I got was a RED EPIC, so I finally don't have to keep looking for the next camera to get ;-)
My Sony EX-3 have been my workhorse for many years. Still use it

you have a website I can look at?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
how do you advertise?

How do you guys advertise?
Are you only doing online advertising like facebook and google?

I seem to have a hard time getting businesses on board for what video can do for their business.

hampus

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
It all depends... Try to get in touch with some companies that heave the need even though they don't realize so themselves. Make a test for them for free and let them see how it can help them communicate. If they are intrigued they will call you first because you showed them some goodwill.

Otherwise, it's all word of mouth...:apple:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I don't advertise, everything I get is from word of mouth or meeting the clients directly. Last year I did a craigslist ad once, and did get some business from it. I'd try that.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
wow, quite an international gathering here. nice to meet you all.

i'm doing my own one-man-show since around 2009.
i get most of my clients via word of mouth but will finally get started on facebook and have my own web-page very soon. ( that's still on the 2012 to-do-list :) ).

i'm currently shooting on a panasonic af100, editing in fcpx.

here's a link to my youtube-channel: http://www.youtube.com/pudelfilm

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
The music video scene can be done with word of mouth.

I feel that doing videos for small business is another matter all together.
Maybe I am missing something.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Almost all of my work is word of mouth too. That's the tricky part of this business when you start out. To get those first jobs that get you into "circulation" so to speak.

Videos for small business can be a bit different though, as these are not companies That makes video all the time

WestSt

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
Norway
Almost all of my work is word of mouth too. That's the tricky part of this business when you start out. To get those first jobs that get you into "circulation" so to speak.

Videos for small business can be a bit different though, as these are not companies That makes video all the time

Kult å se noen fra Norge her :) Selv om du opererer i en helt annen liga enn meg!

Hilsen
Hobbyutøver
Motion Graphics og Klipp

AKcameradude

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
Yup, been running my company for about 10 years now.
You can see my work on my website
http://Www.gforcevideo.com

Recently upgraded from my SD DVcam to a Sony FS100 and was
Asked to write a review on it for Ken Stone's FCP site,
Which you can read here http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/sony_nex_fs_100_strong.html

I do a little of everything, TV spots, corporate films, self produced
DVD's and Blu Rays, stuff for broadcast TV, live video webcasts,
whatever someone will pay me to do.

deuk1219

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just started my own production company in September, and we got the chance to produce promotional videos and music videos for different artists and companies.

Our website is classicalsuiteproductions.com
not all of our work is uploaded on the internet.

We shoot on the Canon 5d mk3, T3i, and a T2i with Rode videomics.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
The music video scene can be done with word of mouth.

I feel that doing videos for small business is another matter all together.
Maybe I am missing something.

Have you considered approaching any industrial businesses?

Find a large factory in your area and see if you can shoot a training / health & safety video for them.

Start off by offering your services for a cheap price, and then use that as your demo reel to approach other large businesses.

These are the companies that have the money to spend but no in house talent to do the work.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I just started my own production company in September, and we got the chance to produce promotional videos and music videos for different artists and companies.

Our website is classicalsuiteproductions.com
not all of our work is uploaded on the internet.

We shoot on the Canon 5d mk3, T3i, and a T2i with Rode videomics.

Thought I would let you know that when I go to your website with firefox, that song from the first music video plays on every page that I check out. I don't know if that's intentional but it feels like it shouldn't be happening. Almost like it's background music

----------

Have you considered approaching any industrial businesses?

Find a large factory in your area and see if you can shoot a training / health & safety video for them.

Start off by offering your services for a cheap price, and then use that as your demo reel to approach other large businesses.

These are the companies that have the money to spend but no in house talent to do the work.

that's a pretty good idea. I will see what larger businesses are around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.