Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
super!
macrumors newbie

Would I be able to take this iMac shoulder bag as hand luggage on a BA flight?

Has anyone had experience with British Airways and large items? I'm looking to get this shoulder bag for my 21.5" iMac but wonder if BA would allow me to take it on board.

On BA's website:
Quote:
The maximum size must be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (115 cm), including handle, pockets and wheels.
Flight case dimensions:
58cm x 21cm x 51cm

If I'm not able to take it, I'll be shipping it instead but would love the convenience of being able to take it on board.
super! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:08 AM   #2
ericbreiter
macrumors member

Business Class or Economy Class? If you're in Business they usually don't make a big fuss.
ericbreiter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:49 AM   #3
cyclotron451
macrumors regular

I was able to take my 2012 Mac mini as hand-luggage through Luton Airport security, I wasn't certain if it would pass due to being dense & heavy and not the usual thing to be found in luggage; they just swabbed it for GC/MS analysis and otherwise were content. BA, and other airlines, can refuse to let you board if they're unhappy - but mostly it is that airline that rhymes with "Mayan-Air" that like to say "NO!" or more usually "YES, but give me all your money!"

I did (briefly) think about bringing an iMac as hand luggage myself, but I wanted the 27"....
cyclotron451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:24 AM   #4
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

I really think that it's down to the staff and the mood they're in on that particular day. A friend of mine had her hand baggage weighed and commented on recently and she was going first class. So, how happy would you be if it had to go in the hold in that bag after all? And remember that you're not the only person using the overhead locker and your fellow passengers are not going to treat other luggage that kindly.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:34 AM   #5
turtlez
Banned

imagine if you weren't allowed to take it, you have option 1 give away your iMac to security or option 2, cancel your flight. Either way you lose a large amount of money lol. I wouldn't risk it.

I was at Santa Maria, Azores airport and i was pulled up for having a wacom tablet and laptop inside the laptop bag. They were trying to class the wacom tablet as another computer and it took a lot of sweet talking to get out of it (lucky it was a girl).
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:17 AM   #6
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
I wouldn't risk it,

I would put it back in it's original box and ship it with insurance.
take heaps of photos as you pack it etc and of the unit it's self.

make sure it is password protected and send it

plus an imac isn't going to fit in over head or under seat in front of you lol
NVRENUF! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:44 AM   #7
mlamb64150
macrumors member

Email BA? What a strange thing to ask a Mac forum.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:57 AM   #8
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
imagine if you weren't allowed to take it, you have option 1 give away your iMac to security or option 2, cancel your flight. Either way you lose a large amount of money lol. I wouldn't risk it.
I think BA would give him the option of shipping it as hold baggage if they refused it as carry-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb64150 View Post
Email BA? What a strange thing to ask a Mac forum.
Not that odd a question. The bag size clearly exceeds BA regulations and that is the response he would get if he emailed them. OP is wondering whether he could get away with it and therefore seeking advice of people who may have been in a similar situation.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:25 AM   #9
super!
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Perhaps shipping it is the only method that will give me piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF! View Post
I wouldn't risk it,

I would put it back in it's original box and ship it with insurance.
take heaps of photos as you pack it etc and of the unit it's self.

make sure it is password protected and send it

plus an imac isn't going to fit in over head or under seat in front of you lol
Would it be enough to pack it in the original box? On inspection, I can see that the corners of the box appear slightly strained - it doesn't seem like it would be reliable enough for a couple of shipments or more. A friend of mine said he would sell his Tenba case (link) for 100 - a good investment?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
super!
macrumors newbie

Another thing, would I have to pay any taxes if I wanted to ship (via courier) my iMac to Spain from the UK? Can anyone shed light on this?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac