Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Wrightfan
macrumors newbie

Having trouble connecting Macbook to a Linksys WRT54G router

I was able to connect my parents PC after some trouble but I cannot connect my Macbook Pro (with 10.8.2) for the life of me.

Help please!
Wrightfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightfan View Post
I was able to connect my parents PC after some trouble but I cannot connect my Macbook Pro (with 10.8.2) for the life of me.

Help please!
Well, what have you tried to do so far?

Have you:
1. connected the router directly to the computer via ethernet cable?
2. in the address bar of a browser, did you type in the address: http://192.168.1.1 ?(that's the default address for the router)
3. Through there you can set up a MAC filter to allow your computer to connect to it.
4. Do you have the install disk that came with the router? If not, go to linksys's website and download the disk image to install the needed software onto your mac.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Well, what have you tried to do so far?

Have you:
1. connected the router directly to the computer via ethernet cable?
2. in the address bar of a browser, did you type in the address: http://192.168.1.1 ?(that's the default address for the router)
3. Through there you can set up a MAC filter to allow your computer to connect to it.
4. Do you have the install disk that came with the router? If not, go to linksys's website and download the disk image to install the needed software onto your mac.
Bad advise, software bloat for what, a mac can connect to any wireless router without any sht software.

Linksys are rubbish routers and especially the one he mentioned.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Bad advise, software bloat for what, a mac can connect to any wireless router without any sht software.

I disagree with that assessment since the linksys router that he has is the same one that I was using for the first year that I had my iMac. I was eventually able to afford a AEBS(which is better than the linksys), but my system was not adversely affected by it and I was able to use that for my iMac, my wife's Acer desktop tower, my iPhone 3G, and original PS3 with no issues.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G

Last edited by RedCroissant; Dec 16, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:36 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I disagree with that assessment since the linksys router that he has is the same one that I was using for the first year that I had my iMac. I was eventually able to afford a AEBS(which is better than the linksys), but my system was not adversely affected by it and I was able to use that for my iMac, my wife's Acer desktop tower, my iPhone 3G, and original PS3 with no issues.
We can agree to disagree.
I had one and had lots of trouble with it, got an AE and no problems anymore.

What my main point was though is that you almost never have to install software, I have a Huawei 3G USB modem, the crappy software that came with it used Java, the software was so hard to remove, everytime the modem would reinstall the rubbish software until I disabled an automatic mount of the internal memory Card.
Uninstalled it and it still works.

With wireless routers you don't need to install anything, if you connect wireless to them all you need is a password and login name which you can get if you connect the wireless router with a network cable and enter the routers IP address.

--------

OP, if you still have problems remove the following folder(move to desktop and delete after everything works), restart, after restart you have to add the network password again, all network settings are reset after moving that folder.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

If you don't see this folder press Command-Shift-G, a window pops up and enter this:
/Library/Preferences/
Look for the SystemConfiguration folder and move it to the desktop as per the above instructions.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

I've been using that router for 5 years and it's been solid. It gets excellent reviews online. It is true you don't need the Linksys software.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
FoxFifth
macrumors regular

I have a Linksys WRT54GL and never had a problem with anything connecting to it (including PCs, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Logitech radio) but my wife bought a Kindle and it refused to connect. A call to Amazon customer support resulted in their recommendation to reboot the router (by unplugging the power), after which it immediately connected and has never had a problem since. May be worth a try.
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help