Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UH60guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
OK, I'm probably missing something obvious, but (I think) I've been through every menu in iTunes, and I can't find what I'm looking for.

The previous version of iTunes had a whole menu where I could customize what was sent to my iPhone. I could manage my devices, and even customize what app was on what screen of my iPhone. I had it set up to only sync certain playlists. Now that I have iTunes 11, that setting seems to be retained, but I can't find where to make adjustments. I have a new playlist, but can't find the place to check the box manually sync it. What happened to the device screen?

The closest thing I can find is the file menu for "devices," but it only gives me the option to sync, not to adjust WHAT I'm syncing. Please, if anyone knows what I'm missing here, would love the help. Feeling really inept since I'm sure it's right in front of me, but I can never find my way around overly simplified applications...

UH60guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
OK, finally solved my problem. Like I thought, it was something stupid. I missed the option under the view menu to "show sidebar."

It wasn't until I had that sidebar back on that I could manage my devices.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Work around I think

I've been puzzling over the same dilemma. For the time being, I'm using the playlists that I created previously. My sense is that you can no longer create them in iTunes but are supposed to do it on your iPhone or iPad or whatever. Problem I'm hitting is listen to a lot of audiobooks on my iPhone downloaded from Audible where I have a subscription. I have two playlists - one is Audible Books and new downloads appear to go straight in there (and I can add delete them in iTunes on my computer) The books in there are ones I haven't listened to yet and I delete them when I'm done with them. The other one is Audible Keepers (in others words, books I might want to listen to several time). It's there, but I haven't figured out how to add to it.

You can also delete and add books using the tabs at the top when you plug your idevice in, but that just adds or deletes them from your device - not put them in a playlist.

I've actually been looking for responses - thank you for asking the question. Maybe others will know what to do and post them here. Eventually, I was planning to call Apple Care.

----------

OK, finally solved my problem. Like I thought, it was something stupid. I missed the option under the view menu to "show sidebar."

It wasn't until I had that sidebar back on that I could manage my devices.

Fine for music - but not for books. When you go to books in iTunes, it doesn't show them as a list but as book covers - and no way to move them to a playlist.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Can't you click on View (in the menu bar) and then turn the sidebar back on, allowing you to drag and drop to playlists like in iTunes 10?

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Books are "different" in iTunes 11

There are no view options for books. However, since they all do seem to download into my Audible Books playlist under music, I can move them from there. But if there are books already in my library that I decide I want in a playlist, no way of getting them there. If I do to "books" in the menu of choices - the only view is of the covers. The options that appear in the right menu sidebar of "view" and "add to" don't exist if you look at books themselves. And not all the books I have are in the playlists I have when iTunes 11 became the version on my computer.

Overall, I like it, but there are things I don't. It's focus is on the cloud and if you have a lot of non-apple books downloaded -they won't sync to icloud so I stick to syncing to my computer. The functionality is limited. Not sure what I wrote is coherent - I've just been struck by how differently books are treated. I guess the argument would be they are "third-party" and therefore not Apple's problem.

Very frustrating - worked great for all all the previous versions of iTunes going back many years.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That's weird, when I set the view option to Books, then select the Audiobooks option in the middle, it shows me my Audiobooks.

I can click on the cover of the audiobook, which exposes the files, then I can drag the files I want towards the right side of the screen, where the Playlists will appear.

They drop into playlists for me just like they did with the old iTunes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 8.28.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 8.28.29 PM.png
    654.3 KB · Views: 238

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Thank you - you're brilliant

I had highlighted a particular book and seen the component sections appear, but I had never thought of dragging them towards the right because there didn't appear to be anything there. YES, indeed, when I drag one to the right - up come my playlists. Thank you so much. These boards are the best tools there are for learning.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I had highlighted a particular book and seen the component sections appear, but I had never thought of dragging them towards the right because there didn't appear to be anything there.
Glad that helped. I only knew about the "dragging them towards the right" thing because they showed that in one of the videos. IMO, that's not something people will figure out on their own (having not seen the video). :eek:

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
OK, I'll watch the videos from now on

I usually watch parts of the videos not expecting to learn much. I can/could usually figure things out - not this time. From now on, I'll pay more attention.
Thanks again.

anverc

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Can't you click on View (in the menu bar) and then turn the sidebar back on, allowing you to drag and drop to playlists like in iTunes 10?

wow! are you kidding me? how unintuitive is that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.