Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Why yes, it does look like a Macbook (Brydge review)...

I've been pretty amped for this to come out, and it finally did, and I UPS dropped mine off today.

I went for the black polycarbonate for a couple reasons...first it was $80 less than the aluminum version ($120 vs $200) and I like how it looks better when actually using it (black iPad bezel...black keyboard). The aluminum version does look nicer with te white iPad or when closed, obviously.

Pretty straight forward setup...changed out the rubber shims for the iPad 3, powered it on and paired it up, no surprises...sort of. I am having problems with charging it, I get an error on my computer and my other USB devices stop working. Tried on both the iMac and Mac Pro. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what's up.

Aside from the charging thing, it works really nice. Has a nice feel and build, lots of useful hotkeys at the top for adjusting brightness, going to the home screen, volume control etc. Weight wise it about doubles the weight of the iPad 3 (weights 1lb 3oz, iPad weighs 1lb 7oz).

My favorite thing about it and the main reason I bought it and replaced the Logitech keyboard I was using is the fact that you can adjust the angle of the iPad to any position you want. I use the iPad in bed a lot and would always have to use one hand to hold the iPad up/forward as it would sit too far backward naturally.

Good Christmas gift for someone if they are into this type of thing too. Ordered it directly from Brydge (thebrydge.com) on Tuesday and got it today via UPS Ground.

Old Logitech keyboard I was using on the right...

And the ****** angle the iPad would sit in...not very good when laying on your back in bed.

The Logitech keyboard also did a great job of ****ing up every single corner of the iPad.

New Brydge keyboard, much nicer.

Weird. Even tried to unplug all other USB devices and no go.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
OdT22
macrumors regular

Cool features. Very appealing.

My Zaggkeys Profolio+ arrived today too, and its surprisingly very intuitive. A dozen or so emails and a few posts later, and I'm convinced the onscreen keyboard wont be missed whatsoever.

The viewing angle on the Zagg isn't bad at all, but being able to alter it as you can would be usefull.
OdT22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:23 AM   #3
MF878
macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, the concept is cool, but for $120 or $200, they could've made it look a whole lot nicer. Also, it needs to weigh less, because together they weigh more than an 11" MacBook Air.

Another point:

11" MacBook Air - $999
iPad 64GB + Alu. Brydge - $899

Only $100 more for a full laptop in a thinner and lighter package.
MF878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

This is a really really cool idea but it's just too expensive. You could just get an MBA for a little more.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
stuaz
macrumors 6502

Would love if you could fold it all the way back to go behind the iPad when using it in standard tablet mode.

Would bite there hands off for that!
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF878 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the concept is cool, but for $120 or $200, they could've made it look a whole lot nicer. Also, it needs to weigh less, because together they weigh more than an 11" MacBook Air.

Another point:

11" MacBook Air - $999
iPad 64GB + Alu. Brydge - $899

Only $100 more for a full laptop in a thinner and lighter package.
Valid points, this isn't for everyone. But, the MBA setup wouldn't have a retina display or LTE/cellular built in like my iP3. I've also got a whole bunch of iOS apps that I use for work. The black model when used with the black bezeled iPad also gives it a 'blackbook' look. Nice.

If I didn't already have a logitech ultrathin keyboard, I'd be all over the black model on sale like white on rice. Even though it appears to be a bit bulkier, (and the silicone shims would probably wear out over use, thus the option to order extras) the better viewing angles and more secure but easily removable attachments would trump the logitech. Speakers are nice, but not indispensable. Extra shims and shipping would bring the price even the black model on sale to north of $150.

Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best. Sigh.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

The ipad is not a laptop replacement. It's a fun toy, an overblown smartphone. A lightweight entertainment device. Its for email, surfing, bedtime movies and tv, internet radio, music, and its a great, handy research device. Anyone trying to make it more with the likes of an overpriced, ugly looking external keyboard is really reaching. This appears to be free advertising as opposed to a review. If you really think an external keyboard is needed sometimes, the apple bluetooth keyboard you use on your desktop is great for the job.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:23 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
The ipad is not a laptop replacement. It's a fun toy, an overblown smartphone. A lightweight entertainment device. Its for email, surfing, bedtime movies and tv, internet radio, music, and its a great, handy research device. Anyone trying to make it more with the likes of an overpriced, ugly looking external keyboard is really reaching. This appears to be free advertising as opposed to a review. If you really think an external keyboard is needed sometimes, the apple bluetooth keyboard you use on your desktop is great for the job.
This argument would have held so much more weight years ago.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 AM   #9
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Wonder how this compares to the sharksucker? No built in speakers, and the hinge on it looks god awful compared to the brydge, but aluminum goodness for $99. Man, if only they had put better magnets in the logitech ultrathin!

Hey OP, shouldn't this be posted in iPad Accessories?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:04 AM   #10
stuaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Man, if only they had put better magnets in the logitech ultrathin!
I totally agree. It would be perfect if the magnets held the cover better and if you could fold it behind the iPad like a smart cover....perfect!
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:10 AM   #11
lyngo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
The iPad has been a laptop replacement for me in both content creation and content consumption. I have a desktop at home but the majority of my work time and computer leisure time is spent on my iPad. I am able to run a nonprofit organization off of it. That's my two cents.
lyngo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #12
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

For people who are saying "Why not just get an Air"...a few reasons...

First, the removable keyboard...you obviously can't do that with an Air and while I like having the keyboard while in bed browsing the web, when I leave the house I like to take just the iPad.

Second, the touchscreen interface. Obviouslly the Air doesn't have it and for web browsing, I prefer it over a mouse.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #13
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

So after a bit of using the Brydge...a couple complaints. First, the god damn Shift key on the right side is horrible! I keep pressing the Up Arrow instead of Shift. The other thing is that from time to time it'll type out double letters even though I'm only doing a single keystroke...like instead of "a" I get "aa". The Logitech keyboard never had this problem...then again they've been making keyboards for how long?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:00 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

That looks pretty nice. Thanks for sharing, HXGuy.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #15
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I read about the right shift key on review on one of the gadget sites. And after looking on the keyboard, that sucker is tiny!

May have to love the one (keyboard) I'm with...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #16
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

A couple days into using this...

I love the idea and the hinge, works really well. I don't love the actual keyboard the keys either type double letters as I previously mentioned or they don't type out anything and I have to press extra hard. The shift key on the left side only seems to work intermittently as well. Obviously it's their first go at it and I'm sure they will improve.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad