Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

setty7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hey guys im new to the forum and to iphone. I have an upgrade in January and I am thinking about getting the iphone 5. Should I wait until the next iphone comes out? Any news on what the differences will be? Thanks for yalls input.

Setty

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wait until then and ask again.

There's talk of Apple moving to a 6-month upgrade cycle instead of the current yearly method.

I personally don't put much stock in those rumors, but hey, might as well wait to see. If it is true then there will be more evidence in January and you should wait for the "spring iPhone."

But if no new leaks have come out by then I'd say it's all fake and you should feel safe to buy a 5. (Which, honestly, is what I'm expecting to happen.) It's a great phone.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
My last upgrade came up back in February, and I had the option to either upgrade to a 4S, or wait until the 5 came out. I'm personally glad I waited for the 5. Personally, if it's more than 5-6 months into the device life for a product like the iPhone that launches a new model annually, I'd rather just wait and get a brand new model when it launches. Of course, this also depends on what devices you're coming from. I had an iPhone 4 prior to my 5 and I was still very happy with almost everything it was doing for me.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Hey guys im new to the forum and to iphone. I have an upgrade in January and I am thinking about getting the iphone 5. Should I wait until the next iphone comes out? Any news on what the differences will be? Thanks for yalls input.

Setty

Hi Setty, and welcome the forums!

Here's my advice...

Do you by any chance live near an Apple Store or other retailer that has the iPhone 5 on display? If so, go and check it out. If you like what you see, and need or want a new phone, by all means, buy it. It's a great phone! If you are on the fence and have a good alternative (existing phone you like) then wait. Don't be influenced because you heard a rumor that some new version of the iPhone is "just around the corner". Nobody knows what Apple is really going to do or deliver. Anyone who says they know is lying.

Good luck to you!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U always ask, Is there a must-have feature? Otherwise u would be just chasing the Joneses.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I bought the 4 when it came out and had the 3G before that. When the 4S came, I could have used an early upgrade but I chose not to. I was eligible for a full upgrade in April of this year and by then it seemed certain that a new phone was coming. I wasn't able to get my 5 until November for various reasons but am very glad I waited and didn't jump on the 4S. That being said, only you know what you need. If your current phone serves you okay and in January it is sounding like an update will come soon then I would wait.

Of course the problem with electronics is that there will always be updates. You can wait and wait to be sure you have the latest thing or you can jump as soon as eligible. Only you can really answer the question of what will make you the happiest. Good luck!

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Go for it as its still relatively new. Plus the 7th generation is most likely going to be the big update. We will probably see a iPhone 5S next year.

By the 7th generation iPhone your 2 year contract will be finish.

I see Apple coming out with big updates ever 2 years so I'm keeping my iPhone 5 and doing the every two year upgrades.

setty7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Wait until then and ask again.

There's talk of Apple moving to a 6-month upgrade cycle instead of the current yearly method.

I personally don't put much stock in those rumors, but hey, might as well wait to see. If it is true then there will be more evidence in January and you should wait for the "spring iPhone."

But if no new leaks have come out by then I'd say it's all fake and you should feel safe to buy a 5. (Which, honestly, is what I'm expecting to happen.) It's a great phone.

thanks man I like your advice.

My last upgrade came up back in February, and I had the option to either upgrade to a 4S, or wait until the 5 came out. I'm personally glad I waited for the 5. Personally, if it's more than 5-6 months into the device life for a product like the iPhone that launches a new model annually, I'd rather just wait and get a brand new model when it launches. Of course, this also depends on what devices you're coming from. I had an iPhone 4 prior to my 5 and I was still very happy with almost everything it was doing for me.

thank you! Im coming from a crack berry so iphone will be new to me.

Hi Setty, and welcome the forums!

Here's my advice...

Do you by any chance live near an Apple Store or other retailer that has the iPhone 5 on display? If so, go and check it out. If you like what you see, and need or want a new phone, by all means, buy it. It's a great phone! If you are on the fence and have a good alternative (existing phone you like) then wait. Don't be influenced because you heard a rumor that some new version of the iPhone is "just around the corner". Nobody knows what Apple is really going to do or deliver. Anyone who says they know is lying.

Good luck to you!

the nearest apple store is in Jacksonville Florida which is about 3 hours from tallahassee.

I bought the 4 when it came out and had the 3G before that. When the 4S came, I could have used an early upgrade but I chose not to. I was eligible for a full upgrade in April of this year and by then it seemed certain that a new phone was coming. I wasn't able to get my 5 until November for various reasons but am very glad I waited and didn't jump on the 4S. That being said, only you know what you need. If your current phone serves you okay and in January it is sounding like an update will come soon then I would wait.

Of course the problem with electronics is that there will always be updates. You can wait and wait to be sure you have the latest thing or you can jump as soon as eligible. Only you can really answer the question of what will make you the happiest. Good luck!

thanks man

Go for it as its still relatively new. Plus the 7th generation is most likely going to be the big update. We will probably see a iPhone 5S next year.

By the 7th generation iPhone your 2 year contract will be finish.

I see Apple coming out with big updates ever 2 years so I'm keeping my iPhone 5 and doing the every two year upgrades.

i like your thinking! Just dont want there to be major difference with the next version than the 5

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
If you have to ask, you don't need a new phone now. Just wait till you don't have to ask. You'll know when you're ready.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
"the nearest apple store is in Jacksonville Florida which is about 3 hours from tallahassee."

You shouldn't have to go to an Apple Store to see an iPhone 5. I believe they have display models at Verizon and AT&T stores. I could be wrong on this as I haven't been in to a Verizon store for quite some time, but I can't believe that almost 2.5 months after it's release it wouldn't be on display at it's 2 major sellers.

I would go for the upgrade. IMHO, even IF they come out with the i5s it won't be until at least the summer. I also don't think there will be any "major" updates. They will probably just say it's got a better chip, better camera (maybe getting rid of the purple haze problem). It's not going to have a bigger screen, etc. But the i5 already has a great camera and is extremely fast. Not sure you would be able to notice an update to either, to be honest.

Like someone else above said, my guess is the "iPhone 6" will be the one that gets the big update. Probably larger screen, which is really what most people will be looking for. If you get the i5 now, you'll be close to being able to upgrade to the i6, which would most likely launch in the Fall of 2014.

Until then, enjoy a great phone in the i5.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
There is always going to an iPhone 5s/6/6s/7/7s etc.

You have to bite the bullet sometimes and just buy it otherwise if you constantly think (Will a better phone come out) then you will never get one.

setty7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
"the nearest apple store is in Jacksonville Florida which is about 3 hours from tallahassee."

You shouldn't have to go to an Apple Store to see an iPhone 5. I believe they have display models at Verizon and AT&T stores. I could be wrong on this as I haven't been in to a Verizon store for quite some time, but I can't believe that almost 2.5 months after it's release it wouldn't be on display at it's 2 major sellers.

I would go for the upgrade. IMHO, even IF they come out with the i5s it won't be until at least the summer. I also don't think there will be any "major" updates. They will probably just say it's got a better chip, better camera (maybe getting rid of the purple haze problem). It's not going to have a bigger screen, etc. But the i5 already has a great camera and is extremely fast. Not sure you would be able to notice an update to either, to be honest.

Like someone else above said, my guess is the "iPhone 6" will be the one that gets the big update. Probably larger screen, which is really what most people will be looking for. If you get the i5 now, you'll be close to being able to upgrade to the i6, which would most likely launch in the Fall of 2014.

Until then, enjoy a great phone in the i5.

thanks man and yea they have them at verizon. Sorry I misinterpreted when he said Apple store I thought he meant the actual apple store. I probably will get the i5. What is the purple haze problem?

There is always going to an iPhone 5s/6/6s/7/7s etc.

You have to bite the bullet sometimes and just buy it otherwise if you constantly think (Will a better phone come out) then you will never get one.

thanks man

Last edited:

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
thanks man and yea they have them at verizon. Sorry I misinterpreted when he said Apple store I thought he meant the actual apple store. I probably will get the i5. What is the purple haze problem?

No, I said "Apple Store or other retailer", I should have been more specific. Yes, they have them at AT&T and Verizon. I think they have them at Best Buy too.

I've heard of the purple haze problem but not seen it. I don't have that problem with my iPhone 5. Some people have said that if you take a picture that is very close to or directly into a light source there's a purple haze that will show up in the photo.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
just get the phone. I can almost guarantee you that the 5S won't be much different. Most apps are still barely using the 4S's power.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Should I wait until the next iphone comes out?
Impossible for use to say since you haven't provided any info on your needs/wants/priorities/etc. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.

If you can't or won't provide the info needed to give you feedback then refer to any of the countless "Should I wait?" threads on any forum site out there. It all boils down to the same thing regardless of the specific products being discussed. If you need it now then get it now. If you need/want what's in the pipeline and can wait then wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.