Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell on Steve Jobs at Atari and Finding the Next Jobs

The Next Web has dug up a video of Atari founder Nolan Bushnell's keynote presentation at Campus Party Brasil, where he spent time remembering Steve Jobs' work at Atari as well as talking about segments of his upcoming book "Finding the Next Steve Jobs."
Quote:
What is one of the characteristics that made Steve Jobs successful? He was creative, but you know what else was really important? He was a very, very, very hard worker. How many of my employees did I find sleeping under their desks when I came in early on a Monday morning? Not many. Did he kinda smell bad? Yeah. That's cause we didn't have showers, and if you didn't go home for two or three days you could get gamey.
Bushnell goes on to mention that one of the most important messages he gave Jobs was that if 99 percent of people thought something was crazy, and the one percent that created the idea thought it was cool then the idea's creator should "pursue it with all vigor." This message has been echoed by Apple and Jobs multiple times, including in Apple's "Here's to The Crazy Ones" commercial and "Think Different" slogan.

He packs his hour-long talk -- the Jobs portion starts at the 13:00 minute mark -- with additional anecdotes about Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, like how Jobs offered Bushnell a third of Apple for $50,000, which Bushnell passed on.

Article Link: Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell on Steve Jobs at Atari and Finding the Next Jobs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Wow, I didn't know Jobs had been involved with Atari
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
He was one of the first 50 employees of Atari.
Macrolido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:12 PM   #4
iheartiphone4
macrumors member

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the autobiography on Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
iheartiphone4 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Always fascinating to read independent/third party tidbits of information. Wonder if he regrets declining Steve's offer. That was obviously very early on in APPLE's existence.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Pentad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartiphone4 View Post

Sadly, a terrible autobiography.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:27 AM   #7
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
May I ask what was so terrible about it?
twigman08 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:59 AM   #8
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

I disagree. Showering is very important for hygiene and can stave off cancer.
Puevlo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:00 AM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
The biography suggested SJ was smelly because he was a hippie... but I suppose this "worked too hard to have time to shower" explanation lines up with what I gathered Jobs was like, too.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:26 AM   #10
daverso
macrumors regular

Nice to hear something positive about Steve for a change. Seems like there's been more coverage about his bad habits than his good since his passing.

Kind of bizzare that the sleeping under the desk wasn't mentioned from what I recall in the biography... Puts his 'smelling' into perspective a bit. Makes me like Steve any more.
daverso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:36 AM   #11
Mr.damien

"How many of my employees did I find sleeping under their desks when I came in early on a Monday morning? Not many."

Show the way and start to sleep at work...

The point with SJ is that he WAS the CEO and working hard at work. He was not the CEO asking others to sleep at work.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:58 AM   #12
johngordon
macrumors 6502

On the subject of Jobs and showering, I don't think it has to be the case that he didn't shower / could smell as a result because he either spent days at work, or could be a bit of a hippie. Presumably both could have applied.
johngordon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:56 AM   #13
janstett
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
He was one of the first 50 employees of Atari.
As was Woz, who also developed Breakout, probably the best Pong variant ever.

I was a kid when the 8 bit wars were going on before the IBM PC and always imagined some kind of holy platform war (and for the youngsters it wasn't like today, you had 6 or so different platforms that all had 10-20% market share). Blew my mind that Jobs & Woz worked for Atari.

Last edited by janstett; Feb 2, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
janstett is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:48 AM   #14
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigman08 View Post
I thought that Isaacson was repetitious for one thing (so help me god if I hear, read or see the word "petulant" or variants again in my lifetime! He exceeded the quota twice over, at least); and in spite of the book length, all the interviews, all the research, it felt like Isaacson didn't really get what was so amazing about this computer revolution. I just felt that he is comfortable in thinking in stereotypes. He didn't reach.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
senseless
macrumors 65816

Virtual reality glasses could be the next big thing. It's been tried crudely before, but processing power is up to the task now. I wonder about the long term effects though.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:59 PM   #16
bdavis89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartiphone4 View Post
You obviously don't know what an autobiography is.
bdavis89 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:17 PM   #17
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstett View Post

I was a kid when the 8 bit wars were going on before the IBM PC and always imagined some kind of holy platform war (and for the youngsters it wasn't like today, you had 6 or so different platforms that all had 10-20% market share). Blew my mind that Jobs & Woz worked for Atari.
Bushnell had a great factoid to discuss about Woz. He was never hired in any official capacity by Atari. He got two employees for the price of one.
mdriftmeyer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:30 PM   #18
jkeekij
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis89 View Post
You obviously don't know what an autobiography is.
Exactly!

Autobiography = An account of the life of a person, written by that person.

Biography = A detailed description or account of someone's life.
jkeekij is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Risco
macrumors 65816

Nolan Bushnell sounds and looks drunk!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Virtual reality glasses could be the next big thing. It's been tried crudely before, but processing power is up to the task now. I wonder about the long term effects though.
Google Project Glass
http://www.techradar.com/news/video/...o-know-1078114
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:44 PM   #21
tknelson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
... and you thought guys walking around with their bluetooth talking loudly into air were d-bags. Nothing that looks anything like project glass is ever going to be embraced by the general public.

To wit:
http://zowchow.com/2013/02/01/what-h...oogle-glasses/
tknelson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
Would that fall more under augmented reality than virtual reality? With that being said the Oculus Rift is making VR waves.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:37 PM   #23
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
if 99 percent of people thought something was crazy, and the one percent that created the idea thought it was cool
I don't understand this part, can someone explain it to me? What does he mean by the 1% who created it? Why would 1% of people create something, and why wouldn't the people who created the idea think it was cool?

I mean is he basically just saying if 99% of people thing something is crazy and 1% of people think it's cool, it's probably an idea worth pursuing?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Marty Goldberg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, he was hired in 1974 as a technician. A technician's job there was to work with the engineers and carry out fixes and mods to the game PCBs. Arcade video games in those days were engineered of course, and not programmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
Well it did get most of the material in his time at Atari wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Bushnell had a great factoid to discuss about Woz. He was never hired in any official capacity by Atari. He got two employees for the price of one.
Another interesting factoid: He didn't hire Steve Jobs as he's claimed in recent pr, Al Alcorn did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janstett View Post
To be clear, Woz engineered a prototype of Breakout. The game play/idea, etc. was already defined by Nolan and Steve Bristow. Also, his prototype wound up not being used and a new one was created up in Cyan (Grass Valley, Atari's R&D at the time). We actually have the full story on that and on Jobs' time at Atari in our book we released this past November on Amazon (800 pages worth), called "Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun".

Last edited by Marty Goldberg; Feb 2, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Marty Goldberg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:07 PM   #25
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Reality distortion glasses would sell really well. I mean look at television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigman08 View Post
(Isaacson)

I had trouble plowing through it after several hundred pages. Isaacson seems dry somehow, ALTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Goldberg View Post
Yes, he was hired in 1974 as a technician. A technician's job there was to work with the engineers and carry out fixes and mods to the game PCBs. Arcade video games in those days were engineered of course, and not programmed.
Welcome, Marty!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion