Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I have a series of jpeg photo files that I want to stitch together into a time lapse video. The frame rate needs to be 20-24 frames/sec. A project like this is going to be rare for me, so I would rather have a free program.

What would you recommend? (I am running Leopard 10.5.8)

Last edited:

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I can think of two things from the top of my head:

1. You can do it in iMovie. Normally, it only supports one new image every 3 frames, but you can trick it to do 1 image per frame. Here are the articles how to:
How to make stop-motion video in iMovie
1 frame per image in iMovie

2. You can also do it with ffmpeg, if you are not scared of the Terminal. For that, first download ffmpeg, for example here and place the executable in the folder with your images (unless of course you know what you're doing and need it more often anyways...). Then make sure your images are named with ascending numbers in the way you want them, with the same amount of digits (e.g. image001.jpg, image002.jpg, ...). Then you can simply go into the directory and run the command
Code:
./ffmpeg -f image2 -i image%03d.jpg movie.mpg

Where of course "image%03d.jpg" is the name of your images, and %03d will be replaced with a 3-digit ascending number, and "movie.mpg" is the name of the resulting movie.

If this was too complicated and you have trouble figuring out what I mean, or if you don't know how to name your images like this, I can either explain it in more detail or you can take the iMovie route. :)

Greetings,

Floh

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Quicktime 7 can open an image sequence and export it as a movie (you specify the frame rate when opening it). This may require Quicktime Pro to do, though.

TheKnifeFight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Socal
Download MPEG Streamclip. It's free and you can load all your shots and export to your desired frame rate at any size you wish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.