Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1
deep diver
macrumors 6502a

Time lapse video from jpeg photos

I have a series of jpeg photo files that I want to stitch together into a time lapse video. The frame rate needs to be 20-24 frames/sec. A project like this is going to be rare for me, so I would rather have a free program.

What would you recommend? (I am running Leopard 10.5.8)

Last edited by deep diver; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
deep diver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2
floh
macrumors 6502

I can think of two things from the top of my head:

1. You can do it in iMovie. Normally, it only supports one new image every 3 frames, but you can trick it to do 1 image per frame. Here are the articles how to:
How to make stop-motion video in iMovie
1 frame per image in iMovie

2. You can also do it with ffmpeg, if you are not scared of the Terminal. For that, first download ffmpeg, for example here and place the executable in the folder with your images (unless of course you know what you're doing and need it more often anyways...). Then make sure your images are named with ascending numbers in the way you want them, with the same amount of digits (e.g. image001.jpg, image002.jpg, ...). Then you can simply go into the directory and run the command
Code:
./ffmpeg -f image2 -i image%03d.jpg movie.mpg
Where of course "image%03d.jpg" is the name of your images, and %03d will be replaced with a 3-digit ascending number, and "movie.mpg" is the name of the resulting movie.

If this was too complicated and you have trouble figuring out what I mean, or if you don't know how to name your images like this, I can either explain it in more detail or you can take the iMovie route.

Greetings,

Floh
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:25 PM   #3
ytk
macrumors regular

Quicktime 7 can open an image sequence and export it as a movie (you specify the frame rate when opening it). This may require Quicktime Pro to do, though.
ytk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
TheKnifeFight
macrumors member

Download MPEG Streamclip. It's free and you can load all your shots and export to your desired frame rate at any size you wish
TheKnifeFight is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video