Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I can honestly say that I haven't used it, but don't me wrong, I'd rather have the option to do it so I could whenever I want.

Plus, now with the new Google Maps and Apple Maps ... free turn by turn directions, it could be problematic if you were taking a call via the bluetooth in your car.

It's just nice to have, really. If you're on a long call, you'd still be able to access iMessage which I dont think you can on Verizon (for example).

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.

you should find something else to hate

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

Everyday.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It varies.
What maybe important to some might not be to others.
There's people that for work they need to be able to talk while on the run and still access data to pull up info.
Its a very usefull feature. If you're happy with CDMA and dont want to be able to multitask then Im happy for you.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I use it a lot. Sometimes you're on a call and need to look up something. It would be a big pain to have to hang up, look up the info and call the person back to tell them.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This happens to me all the time now.

Random Person: What makes the carriers different?

Me: Well, I'd tell you, but it makes ELMNT925 mad, so you'll just have to flip a coin. Sorry!

Random Person: Oh... :(

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

Common man, if you ever needed it you'll realize what a great feature it is.

I make calls, could be put on hold, so why not check your forums or do a little banking. Then when the CSR asks for order numbers, you can pop out of the call screen and check your mail.... its called multitasking.

Does ATT not allow this somehow?

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I made the switch to Verizon. When I had AT&T I had too many problems making call connections, much less making a call AND surfing, which I never did, but agree that there may be occasions for doing it.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I actually do it quite often...

Then again I carry 2 iPhones (work and personal) so im usually surfing one phone while talking on the other..l

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would estimate I talk about an hour or so, in total, on the phone per day. Some of those days I will surf, even if it is something as simple as just looking something up regarding what we are talking about. It's one of those features that I have always used with my iPhone (well, since the 3G) so I have become used to it. I can see a person who has gotten used to NOT having the ability feeling like it is unnecessary. It is the basic way of things. Do I need the functionality? Probably not. I can't think of a time a life was saved due to my ability to browse the web and talk simultaneously. But then, I don't really NEED a smartphone either. For my work I need a device that is able to receive calls and texts. That is it. I think the vast majority of people tell themselves they need plenty of things that they actually do not. Again, the nature of human beings I guess.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There are a handful of times I use the feature (usually when I'm on business). That being said, I still don't know that I would miss it.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I used to think the same...I'm still with Verizon because I have been with them for a few years and the call service is reliable. but there have been plenty of times, I have been on the phone and needed to look something up and I couldn't. or even being on the phone and trying to send a text, picture message at the same time can't be done. I would like the luxury of having it and using it when needed instead of not having the feature at all...BUT I WON'T BE LEAVING VERIZON for that feature. or getting another phone. lol

Aug 5, 2012
OP please do not tell us what features we do or do not need.

Why does this even upset you so much?

Sounds like you need to get a hobby!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I almost always am using it the last three weeks, as I've been on the phone with family while driving home from school and using the nav app Waze. Couldn't do that without it. That, in conjunction with my overseas travels, means I can and never will go CDMA/LTE.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Not often. It would be nice to have that back, but I appreciate my calls not dropping at my house much more. Plus most the time I need to do both I'm using WiFi.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Fairly frequently. And originally I didn't think I'd care.

I have a friend who needs to disconnect me weekly because he needs to look something up that's relevant to what he needs to do next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.