Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:52 AM   #26
Salukipilot4590
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to Salukipilot4590
Any time I'm on the phone with scheduling/dispatch at work.

I need to make sure we're both on the same page.

Being able to do both is extremely important.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 - iPhone 5 Black 32GB AT&T - iPhone 6+ 64GB SG (on the way) - 16GB iPad4 WiFi/AT&T Black - 160GB iPod Classic Black
Salukipilot4590 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:54 AM   #27
Furifo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartmartyr View Post

Does ATT not allow this somehow?
Verizon. Being a CDMA network, because of the radios in the phone (I think) you can't do simultaneous voice/data. You can with AT&T.

I love this feature. As you mentioned, sometimes it is very useful.
Furifo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:11 AM   #28
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furifo View Post
Verizon. Being a CDMA network, because of the radios in the phone (I think) you can't do simultaneous voice/data. You can with AT&T.

I love this feature. As you mentioned, sometimes it is very useful.
Wrong. I happen to know for fact you can surf and talk on at least once device. For example:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...same-time.html

So if the phone has the support, it can.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:17 AM   #29
Furifo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Wrong. I happen to know for fact you can surf and talk on at least once device. For example:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...same-time.html

So if the phone has the support, it can.
I'm sorry if my post implied that what I wrote applies to all phones on Verizon.

I wrote - "because of the radios in the phone" - I was referring solely to the iPhone and its hardware when I wrote this and not the Verizon network as an entity.

For those wondering, there are phones on Verizon that support SVDO. Here's a quote from the forum link posted above:

"The Rezound has hardware support for SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G. Since it requires additional hardware in order to work, so far only a few phones on Verizon support SVDO (I know the Rezound, Thunderbolt, and the Galaxy S3 are among them, and might be the only ones). The upcoming RAZR HD and RAZR mini should support it as well since they'll have the Snapdragon S4 processor (and it has the required hardware)."
Furifo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:00 AM   #30
Kadman
macrumors 65816
 
Kadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I do this regularly and I'm not sure why you assume it would have to be associated with being in the car. I do this for meetings with WebEx frequently. I'll be at home or at my son's soccer practice and participate in a meeting with colleagues in Australia. We use a conference dial-in for the audio (i.e. using the phone) and the WebEx app to share slides, etc. (i.e. using data). Although not nearly as often, I've also used it while helping others track something down. I can put them on speakerphone, fire up the browser, and search away.

I'm not sure why some think this is such a foreign thing to do. I think it's quite normal.
Kadman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:15 AM   #31
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
I tried Verizon.
I lasted two weeks.

The first day, I was out in the field and my boss called and asked me where a document was. He wanted me to read it with him while on the phone.

Normally, I would have gone into dropbox, sent him the document then discussed it with him.

I couldn't. Boss didn't really like that I had to hang up, find the doc, send the doc, make the doc a favorite so it would be available to *me* offline, then call him back.

The next day, a colleague called and asked for help with something. I went to the web to go to our web portal to find the info he needed. Woops. I couldn't.

The next day I was talking to my sister. I missed several important emails from my boss.

and so on
and so on
and so on

Oh, and then I called Verizon to discuss returning my phone. I was on hold for 10 minutes and remembered I couldn't surf while on hold. lol

I returned my verizon iphone5, and returned to AT&T where I can do my work and use my phone as *I* need to use it.


Look. You like Verizon. Yay for you.
IF/WHEN verizon gets simultaneous voice and data for iphone, perhaps I'll switch again, though I didn't find the coverage to be any better in my area. I swapped a deadspot at work for a deadspot at home.

In the meantime: try to gain a little perspective before you start a thread telling others what they do and don't need.

It's like going back to holding hands. Holding hands is great. Until you've had more.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)

Last edited by LapsangSouchong; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
LapsangSouchong is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:16 AM   #32
bandityo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I actually use it also.....
bandityo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:18 AM   #33
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furifo View Post
I'm sorry if my post implied that what I wrote applies to all phones on Verizon.

I wrote - "because of the radios in the phone" - I was referring solely to the iPhone and its hardware when I wrote this and not the Verizon network as an entity.

For those wondering, there are phones on Verizon that support SVDO. Here's a quote from the forum link posted above:

"The Rezound has hardware support for SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G. Since it requires additional hardware in order to work, so far only a few phones on Verizon support SVDO (I know the Rezound, Thunderbolt, and the Galaxy S3 are among them, and might be the only ones). The upcoming RAZR HD and RAZR mini should support it as well since they'll have the Snapdragon S4 processor (and it has the required hardware)."
You're right. The iPhone on VZW could easily talk/surf if the tech were there. It is beyond me why now, with LTE and 4G even, that Apple & VZW don't get this to us now. I was on AT&T for over 10 years but there are only a few instances where I miss it now being with VZW. That could also be that I am on WiFi all day long and not stuck in some office.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:20 AM   #34
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I tried Verizon.
I lasted two weeks.

The first day, I was out in the field and my boss called and asked me where a document was. He wanted me to read it with him while on the phone.

Normally, I would have gone into dropbox, sent him the article then discussed it with him.

I couldn't. Boss didn't really like that.

The next day, a colleague called and asked for help with something. I went to the web to go to our web portal to find the info he needed. Woops. I couldn't.

The next day I was talking to my sister. I missed several important emails from my boss.

and so on
and so on
and so on

Oh, and then I called Verizon to discuss returning my phone. I was on hold for 10 minutes and realized I couldn't surf while on hold.

I returned my verizon iphone5, and returned to AT&T where I can do my work and use my phone as *I* need to use it.


Look. You like Verizon. Yay for you.
IF/WHEN verizon gets simultaneous voice and data for iphone, perhaps I'll switch again.
In the meantime: try to gain a little perspective before you start a thread telling others what they do and don't need.

It's like going back to holding hands. Holding hands is great. Until you've had more.
What's better than holding hands?
Megalobyte is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:40 AM   #35
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I use it all the time and absolutely love this feature.... It's come in handy for me many times........ Sorry OP but your hatred is misdirected, this feature is legit and very useful, if you dont have it because your network is limited then you wouldn't know.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:07 AM   #36
Twixt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
Usually during calls i have to check emails to get some info etc
Though calls are a distraction data is my usage of my phone at the moment
__________________
27" iMac i7, 32GB iPad 3, 32GB iPhone 3GS
Upcoming phone: Galaxy Note 4 OR iPhone 6 OR ..., whatever comes with 5"+ display and 128 GB minimum !
Twixt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:22 AM   #37
aslnschld
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
What's better than holding hands?
multitasking, apparently.
aslnschld is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:44 AM   #38
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
All the time, especially at christmas. You realize people walk and talk on the phone at the same time as well. I can easily think of 5 examples where you would want to do this:

Waiting for the bus/train while talking to someone and want to check when the next bus is arriving
Christmas shopping with someone, you split up and are on the phone and need to check info for each other
Looking up info in the airport while on the phone
On a business call and going through email, downloading attachments and checking your calendar.

Like most things you don't realize how much you use it until you can.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:46 AM   #39
yanki01
macrumors 68000
 
yanki01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
i use it quite often.
__________________
Flickr || 15" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro || iPhone 5 || Apple TV || iPod nano || iPod shuffle
yanki01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:56 AM   #40
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
It never has come up for me but that is because i try to avoid talking on the phone like the plauge. However i can see its value, my first iPhone was the 4 and i went with Verizon because they were still offering the unlimited data ( AT&T) was not. All things being equal i would prefer if my new 5 was capable of doing it, but it is no big deal to me (ymmv and im sure it does)
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPad 4iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate, iPod Touch 4th and 5th Gen, iPad 1st gen, iPhone 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:01 AM   #41
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
While it is marketed as "surf and talk", it is better to think about it as phone and data. How often do you use both at the same time. If you're on a long phone call, you can still receive important emails and other bits of information; whereas, on the Verizon network, this is not the case.
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:03 AM   #42
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW.
Why? Why does it chap your hide SO much that people might possibly use this as an argument? Are you personally hurt every time someone decides to go with AT&T instead of a CDMA carrier?

Quote:
I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?
A LOT. While I have a very nice office with a very nice high speed data connection, there are days where I'm not there, because I'm out in the field troubleshooting a network or checking on a project's status. Often times I'm on the phone with a network operations center, and they might e-mail or text documents to look over. If the network where I'm at is down (which is usually the reason I'm there in the first place) my only recourse is to either receive the info directly on my iPhone, or tether it to my MacBook Pro to get something done that way. If I had to hang up the phone to receive that stuff and then call them back, sometimes multiple times, doing what I do would take a lot longer, and would be aggravating for everyone involved.

If I had a separate wifi hotspot, sure, but I've done that before and it's a pain in the neck: one more piece of equipment to carry around, charge batteries for and possibly lose at a site, and an extra $60 a month to pay whether I use it or not.

I could also get a Droid I guess, but... no. Two radios sucking down my battery, and this huge beast I can't comfortably put in my pocket? No thanks. Dual radios for SVDO is an inelegant kludge that requires the user to make sacrifices for a network technology that has fallen way behind in capabilities.

I've also been in conference calls where it's useful to check my echange e-mail or dropbox as we're talking.

Which is by the way, another reason I prefer AT&T: conference calling with up to five people. No need to pay for some outside conference calling service. I just do it from my iPhone.... but I couldn't do it on Verizon or Sprint.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
scaredpoet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:04 AM   #43
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
While it is marketed as "surf and talk", it is better to think about it as phone and data. How often do you use both at the same time. If you're on a long phone call, you can still receive important emails and other bits of information; whereas, on the Verizon network, this is not the case.
That's a great point. It IS marketed as surf and talk. But it's really "use all the data features on the phone" while on the phone. And there are lots.

Just the other day I was at the airport, listening in on a conference call, and watching the plane's approach on kayak...
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:14 AM   #44
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
I don't do it all the time, but it sure as hell comes in handy when I need it. Last night I tracked a package for a client of mine while talking to him. I had an instant answer without having to call him back.
sulpfiction is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #45
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I don't do it all the time, but it sure as hell comes in handy when I need it. Last night I tracked a package for a client of mine while talking to him. I had an instant answer without having to call him back.
Yup, it would be pretty bad if I needed to tell my boss that I needed to call them back with information.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #46
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Not a businessman, so I don't do it. Useful feature though, reminds me of the time Steve demo-ed it at the original iPhone keynote back in 2007.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:23 AM   #47
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
I talk and surf at least a few times a week.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:35 AM   #48
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Every time i use a headset i have the phone in my hand, i talk while i use apps that uses data.
__________________
iPhone 4 32gb, iPad 3G 32gb, atv2 , ipod nano 8gb (4th gen), 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #49
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a
 
SlasherDuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gator Country
i use it all the time
__________________
Gold/White 64gb iPhone 5s, late 2013 rMacBook Pro Haswell 15", 128gb iPad Air, with product RED smart case
SlasherDuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:47 AM   #50
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a
 
iEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW
I use it all the time, especially when something needs to be looked up during a conversation. Really useful.
iEnvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the Verizon iPhone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time? determined09 iPhone 109 Today 12:40 AM
Verizon iPhone 5S Talk-and-Surf zbro90 iPhone 8 Sep 12, 2013 04:35 PM
Carrier: Verizon iPhone 5S talk and surf gbuc95 iPhone 21 Aug 6, 2013 03:34 AM
Can you now talk and surf on Verizon with the iPhone 5? imeth iPhone 7 Sep 19, 2012 12:38 PM
Has Anyone on Verizon Used Skype to Talk and Surf at the Same Time? Gathomblipoob iPhone 0 Sep 13, 2012 11:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC