Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:43 PM   #101
Bruins Fan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
Add me to the list of "all the timers"

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned calls going straight to vm because you are using data - does that happen on the iPhone with Verizon or Sprint?

That would be even more of a deal-breaker.
I tested this today. I still get calls while on the web using the cell network. Just can't keep surfing while on a call. No problem for me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
The call goes to VM. It's just like Edge network on ATT back in the days with original iPhone.
Not on Verizon. Just tried it. Calls come through for me.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:52 PM   #102
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Talk+surf is a very useful feature. I'm on t-mobile and my area hasn't been upgraded for 3G yet so I am considering going back to an Android in the meantime so that I can have this feature again.

It's also one of the reasons that I have never been with any of the CDMA carriers since I've owned a smartphone.
Mr Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #103
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

I talk on the phone and surf the web on my Verizon iPhone all the time there's wifi everywhere now
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:37 PM   #104
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
I talk on the phone and surf the web on my Verizon iPhone all the time there's wifi everywhere now
Maybe everywhere for you but not for everyone else.
There's no free/open wifi's "everywhere" for me.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:38 PM   #105
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Everywhere you go...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:26 AM   #106
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.
sundog925 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:31 AM   #107
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Useful feature. Use it many times each day
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:53 AM   #108
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.
Where are you seeing all these people going to "extremes" to persuade people to go or stay?

And where are all these drivers who talk and browse the web that you're speaking of?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:18 AM   #109
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

The question is. Where are you often is the deciding factor on how essential the feature is. If you always between coffee sj
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:19 AM   #110
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

It's such a big factor I mean honestly you need this in your life so many times I've had to look up a pizza number , do a quick google of sport scores , movie times especially !!!!! The best is using apps that use data . If you don't multi task and just have boring unimportant no data requiring info then sure Verizon is for you ! Fast lTE but for those that do , and need to get things done fast then this feature really is top notch
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:20 AM   #111
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
To clarify: do you mean it can't at least notify you that a call is incoming? If you're using an app does it just go straight to voicemail?

The question is. Where are you often is the deciding factor on how essential the feature is. If you always between coffee shop, office, home etc (places with wifi) not a big deal. If you are in fields/outside its a big deal. That's not the case with me so I don't mind it. Plus I don't have a car since moving to Chitown.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:22 AM   #112
erayser
macrumors 6502a

I'm a customer of both Verizon (mifi LTE data) and AT&T (iPhone, 4G/LTE). I've been a long time Verizon customer since Airtouch... but I switched to AT&T when I moved in a location where I have weak, or no phone coverage with Verizon. I don't have any issues with either Verizon or AT&T... and happy with both. People should go with the carrier that gives you the best service for your location... and not on features or perks carriers offer.

That being said... I still think the surf and talk feature with AT&T is very useful... and I usually use it when I need it the most. For example... my wife needed me to research something while she was on the road talking to me (of course through a hands free device), and I just put her on speaker phone... while research online for her. Also, it comes in handy when my boss is talking to me on the phone... and she tells me she sent me something on email... or look something up through our online forms. The speaker phone comes in handy during surf and talk... so I don't have to put my boss on hold while I read her email... or look up something on our website data. It's probably a feature that some hardly use... but it's really good feature to have in certain situations.
erayser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:52 AM   #113
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
Why does it matter so much to you?

I talk and surf petty often, at least a few times a week. I think if I couldn't do that it would be really irritating to me.
AFDoc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:07 AM   #114
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
I don't surf and talk, I don't think I ever have. But, I find VZW is more expensive than AT&T.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 AM   #115
DustinT
macrumors 68000

I use this all the time. There's no way I could go to Verizon, it's crippling to the phone not to allow this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Plus, now with the new Google Maps and Apple Maps ... free turn by turn directions, it could be problematic if you were taking a call via the bluetooth in your car.

It's just nice to have, really. If you're on a long call, you'd still be able to access iMessage which I dont think you can on Verizon (for example).

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:26 AM   #116
divisionbuyzero
macrumors member

I use it a lot actually. Either while on speaker phone or while using a headset. I like AT&T because their network is much faster but being able to talk and surf is a very good advantage too.
divisionbuyzero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #117
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Probably 3-5 times per week.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #118
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:
LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.
I love that you came back and insulted us, while commenting that you've been insulted.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #119
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I love that you came back and insulted us, while commenting that you've been insulted.
Agreed, lol.

The only thing I can say for the OP is that you can't miss what you never had.
wordoflife is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:31 AM   #120
Brettka7
macrumors regular

I have a Verizon 5 and would love to have been able to talk and surf all those times I've been sitting on hold for hours.
Brettka7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #121
n2deep
macrumors member

I do sometimes. Its a nice feature to have. Especially when I tethered to my laptop and someone calls.
n2deep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:22 PM   #122
ATC
macrumors 6502a

Wow, I didn't know VZ didn't offer simultaneous voice and data. While I don't typically "surf" and talk, I do use Maps for navigation and quite often I have to either take a call or make one during, which necessitates voice and data. I definitely would not want to be without this feature, in fact I never knew this was a "feature" as we've had this capability since before the iPhone came out in early 3G days (in Canada, with Rogers/Fido).
ATC is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:47 PM   #123
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
What comes around goes around
sundog925 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:50 PM   #124
Jeepman88
macrumors member

use regularly. a couple times a day. sometimes the people you have to talk to can be boring...
Jeepman88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #125
rever3nce
macrumors 6502a

I literally use mine EVERYDAY, in fact I am using it now haha. It's great if you have a lot of meeting calls

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone