Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:56 AM   #126
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
This thread is pointless 90% on the people on this forum just insult people constantly, a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now so I'm guessing the iPhone will eventually have it also making this a null argument soon
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:19 AM   #127
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Tell you what, if you have this feature, all your family and "friends" is gonna be calling you up, "Hey John, am on the road, can you look up this web information for me? U could be a very popular man, if that's what you want!
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:27 AM   #128
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.
Um...inability to receive a call while using data IS a SEVERE reliability problem.

Why is "frequent degradation or loss of connectivity" excused just because it's not an issue of electromagnetic signal/noise ratio?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
This thread is pointless 90% on the people on this forum just insult people constantly, a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now so I'm guessing the iPhone will eventually have it also making this a null argument soon
I need to get two iPhones THIS WEEK, if not TODAY. "Eventually" doesn't cut it.
Are you talking future versions, or expanded LTE network availability?
I asked the Verizon rep point-blank about simultaneous talk/data and he said "no" without caveats.

Really trying to figure out how to stay with Verizon, but I don't see any way around the "simultaneous voice/data" issue.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:17 AM   #129
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
I mean really, how often do you surf and talk?
Man the last time I surfed the noise was so loud you could scream and nobody would hear you over the noise of the waves crashing to shore!

OOPS!

You mean surf the net and use the phone?

Not me!

I use the phone for phone calls occasionally, more for doing look-ups then anything else but never the two at the same time. However there may be someone with me on their phone talking to someone else about what we are looking into.

If I needed to talk and surf, I would take the call on my second phone and do the surfing on the smartphone but that is a very rare occasion.


.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Um...inability to receive a call while using data IS a SEVERE reliability problem.
Are you saying that with Verizon if you are browsing the net with the iPhone it will not ring an incoming call?
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:23 AM   #130
unknownbeing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
I've never had the need too talk and surf at the same time.
unknownbeing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:51 AM   #131
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:

Are you saying that with Verizon if you are browsing the net with the iPhone it will not ring an incoming call?
The data will stop and the phone call will get priority... If on wifi, data will work while on a call.
__________________
iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 plus, iPad 1 ,iPad 3, iPad Mini 2 Lte, Macbook air 13" 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8Gb ram mid 2013 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM   #132
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I find AT&T's feature allows me to be more productive for conference calls, which I am in at least one a day.
__________________
You're ugly...
...only if you think you are.
15" Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPa-okay okay I have a ton of Apple stuff and 200 characters is not enough.
SAIRUS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #133
avanpelt
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
a lot of Verizon phones have voice over LTE now
Technically, I don't think any Verizon LTE phone supports VoLTE because Verizon's network doesn't support it currently.

The iPhone 5 has one radio that handles voice and data between all frequencies. The other LTE handsets on VZW have two radios -- one for CDMA voice and another for LTE data. That's why someone can make a call on those other phones (which goes over the CDMA radio) and still surf over LTE simultaneously. I would imagine that Verizon will enable VoLTE at some point once their LTE network covers their entire 3G footprint. I hope the iPhone 5 is capable of VoLTE, but I'm not sure that it is.

Here's an interesting article on Verizon's future rollout of VoLTE and the advantages and potential drawbacks of VoLTE

Last edited by avanpelt; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added article link
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:49 PM   #134
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
About 6 months ago I started considering Verizon as a carrier replacement for AT&T. Knowing we'd go with iPhone 5s, and the consideration of no data + voice concurrently, I made a point of noting my use of this feature with my current phone (4S).

I didn't come up once. So I made the change to Verizon, and now have strong signal at the home/office (AT&T wouldn't even budge on a microcell to help our non-existant signal..).

If fact, the signal is so great, I'm dropping our landline service down to just the minimum (no VM, no LD, nothing...), and might even cancel that all together in the future.

A few months ago we dropped AT&T DSL for Comcast Biz Class ... we're almost AT&T free
D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:36 PM   #135
unknownbeing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Gotta love carrier wars
unknownbeing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:38 PM   #136
Vizio
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Never but it would be nice to have. Not giving up Verizon & My Unlimited Data for that one feature.
Vizio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:47 PM   #137
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by big samm View Post
The data will stop and the phone call will get priority... If on wifi, data will work while on a call.
I'm getting conflicting answers on that point. Others have said if you're using data connection incoming calls will go straight to voicemail. Someone else just indicated there isn't a problem at all when using LTE.

I need the correct answer in the next few hours. I need two iPhone 5s and have good but highly strained reasons to stay with Verizon and not switch.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:08 PM   #138
jwlbel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Yes, quite often too
jwlbel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:18 PM   #139
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Technically, I don't think any Verizon LTE phone supports VoLTE because Verizon's network doesn't support it currently.

The iPhone 5 has one radio that handles voice and data between all frequencies. The other LTE handsets on VZW have two radios -- one for CDMA voice and another for LTE data. That's why someone can make a call on those other phones (which goes over the CDMA radio) and still surf over LTE simultaneously. I would imagine that Verizon will enable VoLTE at some point once their LTE network covers their entire 3G footprint. I hope the iPhone 5 is capable of VoLTE, but I'm not sure that it is.

Here's an interesting article on Verizon's future rollout of VoLTE and the advantages and potential drawbacks of VoLTE
Yeah you're right, just forgot about the dual antenna thing, I just find this argument pointless because it won't actually be a problem soon and a lot of people don't actually use the feature
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:22 PM   #140
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
I'm getting conflicting answers on that point. Others have said if you're using data connection incoming calls will go straight to voicemail. Someone else just indicated there isn't a problem at all when using LTE.

I need the correct answer in the next few hours. I need two iPhone 5s and have good but highly strained reasons to stay with Verizon and not switch.
Calls will come, data will stop.
It will not go into voicemail when you're using data.
Even if you're connected to verizon LTE it will do the same. Calls get 1st priority, data stops untill you end or reject the phone call.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:25 PM   #141
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
I've been a Verizon customer for years so that option has never been available. Not sure how much I would use it.

I'm either at home or at work so I am typically in wifi coverage for the vast majority of my day. On occasion, I have used the data features of the phone while on a phone call in wifi. But typically, I just reach for the iPad or MBA if I need to look something up while on a call.

I can see that for some people, this would be a very important feature. For me, it isn't. And as another user mentioned, not worth me switching carriers for.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:34 PM   #142
Jalopybox
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I hate, hate, HATE that people still use this argument to deter people from switching from ATT to VZW. I mean, how often do you REALLY find yourself needing this feature?...If you say you do in the car, you got problems and should stop driving/surfing/talking and just drive.
Conversation with 99% of the human race bore me, yet I must converse with them to pay for things in which I enjoy, hence I surf the web during most conversations.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:19 PM   #143
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I use pocket informant and need to be online when scheduling appointments to sync with google calendar, so when I'm on the phone ill use Internet that way

also all my client files are online on drop box and I can edit them with documents to go and I do sometimes while driving and talking make short edits with the clients while riding as a passenger with my assistant driving

in other words, all the time
LightOnAHill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:41 PM   #144
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Just did it just now. I use it quit often and really enjoy it.
Primejimbo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:58 PM   #145
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownbeing View Post
Gotta love carrier wars
I've never understood carrier wars. Folks act like their carrier is their high school football team. And you're supposed to be loyal and root for them, insult the other guys and what not. I don't get it.

But then, I've never understood "repping" an area code either.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #146
unknownbeing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapsangSouchong View Post
I've never understood carrier wars. Folks act like their carrier is their high school football team. And you're supposed to be loyal and root for them, insult the other guys and what not. I don't get it.

But then, I've never understood "repping" an area code either.
For some reason people love fighting about the stupidest things.
__________________
iPhone 5, My website:http://ahelpern.com/ My Gaming Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Team20LP
unknownbeing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #147
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
LOL, wow at the plethora of responses this thread has gotten.

It's funny how people on here personally insult just for an opinion that was simply stated. Grow up please?

I was simply expressing displeasure at the innocuous extremes some go to to persuade others to stay or go, nothing more.

Its funny that some would take sub-par phone connections and simultaneous data over reliability, that's all.

And for the record, someone mentioned the VZW iPhone can't recieve phone calls while using cell data? LOL, how antiquated do you think the network really is?

I suppose to close, I, myself, do not think this is an important feature of choosing a network. Clearly most of you do, that's fine. I'd rather choose the latter of the two qualities I just listed.

And to reiterate how much of a non-issue this is, someone mentioned that I haven't resurfaced; its purely due to the fact I forgot about this thread. That's how much of a non-issue it is for ME.

Glad to see the responses though. Makes me realize how important others think they must be to be able to do multiple things at once to make it seem like they believe they are in some upper echelon of society

And btw, as most people on ATT are on wifi also along with most of the consumers out there, which is readily available, both companies phones are almost identical feature-wise. I can do everything on wi-fi with CDMA that GSM can. And in the car, its not necessary for ME personally to talk and drive and read macrumors. Call me crazy, but i like to drive un-obstructed.
aaaah the good old "let me pretend I dont care about this when things don't go the way I expected" move... well played sir.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:53 PM   #148
Marrakas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Do anyone know if you can surf and talk at the same time if you put a sim from a GSM carrier in your Verizon phone? It's because of the CDMA radio after all isn't it?
Marrakas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:59 PM   #149
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
I've never used this feature, and I don't even know whether it's available with my operator (although I'm assuming so).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:03 AM   #150
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakas View Post
Do anyone know if you can surf and talk at the same time if you put a sim from a GSM carrier in your Verizon phone? It's because of the CDMA radio after all isn't it?
Correct.
If you're using a GSM network and connected to 3G then you can be on the phone and use carrier data.
That limitation is only when its connected to a CDMA carrier.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the Verizon iPhone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time? determined09 iPhone 133 Sep 20, 2014 12:05 PM
Verizon iPhone 5S Talk-and-Surf zbro90 iPhone 8 Sep 12, 2013 05:35 PM
Carrier: Verizon iPhone 5S talk and surf gbuc95 iPhone 21 Aug 6, 2013 04:34 AM
Can you now talk and surf on Verizon with the iPhone 5? imeth iPhone 7 Sep 19, 2012 01:38 PM
Has Anyone on Verizon Used Skype to Talk and Surf at the Same Time? Gathomblipoob iPhone 0 Sep 14, 2012 12:50 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC