Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
The issue started yesterday, when I login into osx, safari starts up, and opens a window with my home page.

- No safari in Users > Login items
- "Open closed windows at login" checkbox is not checked.

Anyone have an idea why it started this yesterday? i didn't installed-changed anything. I just love when osx makes these "features" for me... :confused:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
OS X will automatically launch any apps at startup that were active at shutdown.
When you launch Safari, it opens a window. If you have your window set to your homepage, then that's what you'll get.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
The issue started yesterday, when I login into osx, safari starts up, and opens a window with my home page.

- No safari in Users > Login items
- "Open closed windows at login" checkbox is not checked.

Anyone have an idea why it started this yesterday? i didn't installed-changed anything. I just love when osx makes these "features" for me... :confused:

Look at the dock before you shut your mac down. Does the dot appear under the Safari icon? If so, then that means Safari is open, and will reappear when your computer is rebooted. If you don't want this to happen, make sure Safari is closed first. Just a thought :rolleyes:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
there is a checkbox when I shutdown, which says it's reopen running apps at login. This checkox is never checked. Then why it opens the running apps on login? Why is this checkbox there then?

greenapple2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
United States
Was this fixed?

Did this issue ever get resolved?

I recently upgraded to a new iMac with OSX 10.8.5 and started having this exact same issue. Whenever I first power up or restart the OS, Safari (v 6.1) opens automatically to my home page. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems but is annoying.

I spent almost an hour on the phone with two different people at Apple and neither could come up with a fix :confused:

I've been scouring the Apple discussion forums and Googling for answers with little to no luck :(

If anyone could give me a solution, I would really, REALLY appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.