Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:03 PM   #1
zedzded
macrumors regular

Mac hanging

My 2012 27" Mac keeps on hanging. It's got a 1TB SATA drive that I'm beginning to think is the problem. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard and it started hanging pretty much straight away. Opening System preferences, opening folders, browsing the net etc pretty much anything causes the little colourful ball to start spinning around. I then installed OS/X on an external drive and although a bit slow it didn't hang. So I'm guessing it's the internal drive? Anything else I can try or any tests I can run to confirm the hard disk is cactus? Thanks
zedzded is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzded View Post
My 2012 27" Mac keeps on hanging. It's got a 1TB SATA drive that I'm beginning to think is the problem. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard and it started hanging pretty much straight away. Opening System preferences, opening folders, browsing the net etc pretty much anything causes the little colourful ball to start spinning around. I then installed OS/X on an external drive and although a bit slow it didn't hang. So I'm guessing it's the internal drive? Anything else I can try or any tests I can run to confirm the hard disk is cactus? Thanks
Was it hanging before you installed Snow Leopard onto the HDD? From your post it seems that the hanging started when you installed SL. Which OS were you running before that?

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:53 PM   #3
zedzded
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Was it hanging before you installed Snow Leopard onto the HDD? From your post it seems that the hanging started when you installed SL. Which OS were you running before that?
No, it had SL already. Basically the MAC was getting slower & slower by the day, constantly freezing, so I had to rebuild it and I used the original MAC OS/X media that came with it, so returning it's original state, out of the box. However on first bootup it was hanging. I did notice it was indexing, but even when that stopped it continued to hang. The HDD has been wiped. Takes a long time to boot and sits there on a blank blue screen.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:09 PM   #4
DeltaMac
macrumors 6502a

Your symptoms are typical for a hard drive that is approaching failure.
Back up anything that you don't have backed up already.
Do that soon…
then - replace your hard drive.
DeltaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:33 PM   #5
yjchua95
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Quote:
Looks like a dead HDD...backup everything you have and buy an SSD.

Your Mac will boot up in around 10 seconds and fly with an SSD.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:46 AM   #6
zedzded
macrumors regular

Is there a specific type of SSD drive that the 2010 27" Macs take?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:54 AM   #7
yjchua95
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Quote:
Is there a specific type of SSD drive that the 2010 27" Macs take?
Nope. Any SSD will do. However, since your iMac is a 2010 model, it'll only support SATA2 at 3 Gb/s, so there's no point buying a SATA3 SSD like the Samsung 840 Pro.

I'm not sure whether the 27"s take 2.5" or 3.5" drives though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac