Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 5, 2014, 04:26 PM   #1
berndkiltz
macrumors member

Put my 1TB SSD in an USB3 or Thunderbolt enclosure for Max Speed?

Hey Everyone.

After reading the Forums and all info on the Internet I decided to get a new iMac retina (4,0 and the better Graphic) instead of a nMP.
As I read the Benchmarks at Barefeat, I know the Internal Flash is not the fastest (at least slower than that of nMP). So I decided to get the 256MB Version, because an external SSD is much cheaper and not much slower. Didn't want the Fusion drive - no Hard Drive in the imac!!!!

I habe 6 Month old Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD leftover from my previous 6 Year Old MacPro 3,1. I want to use it as Main working Drive for Samples, Video Editing and stuff. I also have a Promise Pegasus2 Raid R4.

QUESTION:
Should I put the SSD in a USB3 or thunderbolt enclosure?
Would I see a benefit from a Expensive Thunderbolt enclosure?

A big "AND" is also that if Thunderbolt then I would need a enclosure with TWO thunderbolt ports because I have some other stuff that I need to connect. Does such a device even exist?

Any experience with USB3 enclosure which can transfer the full speed of the Samsung SSD?

Any suggestions or Ideas?
I want to have an ultra fast system :-)

Oh and last Question: Is there a Thunderbolt2 enclosure for 2 SSDs with raid0 anyone can recommend?
I read the Test of the Lacie Little Big Drive with 2 PCIe SSDs and 1TB - but for 1200 Euros... a bit too much. A second Samsung Evo for around 350 Euros and a Raid enclosure with TB2 would be really nice

Last edited by berndkiltz; Nov 5, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
berndkiltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2014, 05:02 PM   #2
ashman70
macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2013 27" iMac and when I first got it I used a cheapie USB 3 enclosure with four drives; it was not a happy experience, it would constantly disconnect, especially if the iMac went to sleep and I had nothing but problems with it. Then I bought a Thunderbay IV enclosure from OWC.COM and it has been fabulous. It takes up to four drives, regular 3.5' or 2.5' or SSD, you have to use Apple's software RAID if you want RAID otherwise its just up to four individual disks. It has two thunderbolt ports, no TB2 but its fast enough.
ashman70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2014, 05:02 PM   #3
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman70 View Post
I have a late 2013 27" iMac and when I first got it I used a cheapie USB 3 enclosure with four drives; it was not a happy experience, it would constantly disconnect, especially if the iMac went to sleep and I had nothing but problems with it. Then I bought a Thunderbay IV enclosure from OWC.COM and it has been fabulous. It takes up to four drives, regular 3.5' or 2.5' or SSD, you have to use Apple's software RAID if you want RAID otherwise its just up to four individual disks. It has two thunderbolt ports, no TB2 but its fast enough.
I highly recommend using SoftRAID 5 over Apple's rather lackluster RAID software which hasn't been updated in years.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 09:05 PM   #4
hfg
macrumors 68030

You will only find dual port Thunderbolt enclosures which are AC powered due to the potential "downstream" power demands which bus powered devices can't support.

I too like the ThunderBay IV (Thunderbolt 1) or you could get the ThunderBay 4 (Thunderbolt 2).

For a dual drive SSD enclosure, I use the Akitio "Neutrino Thunder Duo" which is fast, small, dual drive, AC powered, and has dual Thunderbolt ports:

http://www.akitio.com/portable-stora...no-thunder-duo
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2014, 03:47 AM   #5
berndkiltz
macrumors member

AC Powered is fine.

I just found a barefeats test of usb3 buspowered enclosures - the speed reaches 440 which is fine for my appilcation. Maybe saving up for those owc things or a Pegasus2 Raid M4 (which would look cool standing beneath the R4) and put 4 SSDs in it and make MacPro users Cry. Should reach over 1400 Mb/s. But not now.
I will keep you posted on the real speeds!

I will also test how fast the EVO SSD is in my pegasus Raid, just for fun.

Thank you!
berndkiltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac