Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:39 AM   #1
peterruchti
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
To buy or not to buy...

Hello - My media company is looking at purchasing a new iMac for some video projects.

The latest reports are saying that a refresh may be delayed until next year due to the broadwell chips.

I'd rather not wait. However, I can wait until September.

To buy or not to buy?
peterruchti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Truthfulie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
If you rather not wait until 2Q of 2015, you should go for it now. Considering the delay from Intel, possible update this year will likely be a minor one anyway.
Truthfulie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3
tomwvr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick Maryland
I don't think there will be an update this year - but I was wrong with the last update :>)

I would say wait for september and then buy one - if a new comes out you won't be mad for buying now, and if a new does not come out there is no harm waiting less then 2 months to buy.

Tom
tomwvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Resist
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
People ask this all the time, including me. But nobody that responds on this forum is going to really know the answer. And considering how quickly computer hardware improves no one can ever stay ahead of the curve, at least not for very long.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterruchti View Post
Hello - My media company is looking at purchasing a new iMac for some video projects.

The latest reports are saying that a refresh may be delayed until next year due to the broadwell chips.

I'd rather not wait. However, I can wait until September.

To buy or not to buy?
As stated no-one on these forums knows. This is a rumors site, nothing about release dates on Macs is known by anyone except Apple which normally does not discuss release dates on Macs.
__________________
27" iMac i5, 24 GB RAM; MBA 11.6" 1.4GHz 4GB RAM 128GB SSD; Multiple HP Printers; Lacie Quadra D2 external HDs; 4S iPhone; Nikon DLSR
rkaufmann87 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM   #6
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a
 
KindredMAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I'm in the same boat as you, needing to purchase a new iMac.

I've decided to give it until around mid-September (about 6-8 weeks) before I make a decision. The upgrade cycle for the iMacs has been Sept 2013 and Oct 2012.

Don't expect anything huge this fall BUT you will most likely get more bang for your buck in the way of the following in longevity:
  1. 3.6 i7 (boost up to 4.0)
  2. Lowered prices for Flash storage
  3. Upgraded or cheaper video upgrade options
  4. Thunderbolt 2 upgrade

Numbers 2 and 3 are my main focus for my purchase. I want the turbo fast speed of Flash storage for running my design software and would like to have at least the 4GB GPU for the long road ahead when Adobe gets off their asses finally and starts writing the code to make use of that horsepower.

Number 1 doesn't matter as much as a 100mhz boost will be nice but as long as it is an i7 I don't care.

Number 4 is another future-proofing thing that would be nice to have since I probably won't start utilizing Thunderbolt for another year or two at its maximum.
__________________
Mac mini HDMI / MacBookPro 15" Late 2008 / iPhone 5 / iPad 4 / TV3 / Airport Extreme
"We want to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose." - Steve Jobs
KindredMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it cheaper to buy out a phone contract with Verizon or buy the new iPhone outright metzy25 iPhone 18 Aug 13, 2012 06:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC