Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

New Macbook Air to Tv - how?

What adapter or cables do I need to buy in order for me to be able to connect my macbook air to my tv.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2
BigYellow
macrumors member

Easiest way (and it does HDvideo and digital audio) is with a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter (I've seen them sold as Mini Display Port to HDMI, just make sure it's a newer-gen one that transmits audio also). Then you just plug an HDMI cable from there into your TV and it'll show as a second monitor.

Hope that helps!
BigYellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
blevins321
macrumors 68030

If your TV has HDMI, you need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (which will fit your Thunderbolt port) and an HDMI cable of sufficient length.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I do have a HDMi cable and my tv supports it.
I looked at some of these adapter on apple website but coudl not figure out which one I need.

also the reviews seem to be poor about these expensive adpaters.

Is Apple tv a better choice? But I think I wont be able to airplay HBOGO thorugh Apple tv onto my TV.

I read that HBOGO app doe snot have airplay for video support.

However, if I go to hbogo.com site on my macbook and then can I mirror my webpage through appletv on my tv, maybe that will allow hbogo to play.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:16 AM   #5
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Fe...o+hdmi+adapter

will this work?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Hirakata
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-sidd View Post
Yes.
Hirakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
However, if I go to hbogo.com site on my macbook and then can I mirror my webpage through appletv on my tv, maybe that will allow hbogo to play.
I did that and watched a few episodes of the The News Room. It worked well. More convenient for me than using a HDMI cable, the way my living room is setup.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 AM   #8
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I did that and watched a few episodes of the The News Room. It worked well. More convenient for me than using a HDMI cable, the way my living room is setup.

So you can confirm that if I buy the Apple Tv, it will let me airplay HBOGO frm my Macbook Air.

I already have netflix app on my tv, so I don't know if I should be spending $100 for the airplay convenience, but dont know what else could I be using the appe tv for.

Maybe the best way woudl be to buy the cheap adapter from Amazon and connect it that way to the tv.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirakata View Post
Yes.
Have you used this or similar non-apple adpater. Please confirm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:52 PM   #9
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
So you can confirm that if I buy the Apple Tv, it will let me airplay HBOGO frm my Macbook Air.

I already have netflix app on my tv, so I don't know if I should be spending $100 for the airplay convenience, but dont know what else could I be using the appe tv for.

Maybe the best way woudl be to buy the cheap adapter from Amazon and connect it that way to the tv.
Screen mirror has worked for me on everything I've tried, including HBOGO.

My roommates and I use the AppleTV a lot for mirroring all sorts of things from our Macs/iOS devices, plus playing our iTunes on the main TV. But yeah, if your only use of the AppleTV would be HBOGO, then it doesn't sound like it would be worth it.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air