Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
That was pretty funny! Although, I'm not sure why Santa was dressed in blue.:confused:

Not sure either, but I thought it was rather apropos to post this since it appears that everyone in the video received a stocking, and one of the presents in it was an iPod Shuffle!

In the US, I could only see SWA, JBU, or VRD doing this.. every other airline would be either a bit too uppity or just not have the right ecosystem to pull something like this off.

BL.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
That was pretty funny! Although, I'm not sure why Santa was dressed in blue.:confused:

WestJet Corporate colours....

And, why not? The only reason we think of Santa Claus as being in red and white is because those were the Coca Cola corporate colours way back when Coke used Santa heavily to sell its product. Pushed it so hard, that the majority of North America adopted the Coke Santa in red and white as the its 'official' Santa.

Nicely done, WestJet... eh?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wow. Nicely done. I wonder how they got all that past airport security!

"See, and then we're going to toss fake white snow powder into the air, and... Yeah, we're going to toss it into the air, all over the terminal. Wait, where are you taking me?"

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
WestJet Corporate colours....

And, why not? The only reason we think of Santa Claus as being in red and white is because those were the Coca Cola corporate colours way back when Coke used Santa heavily to sell its product. Pushed it so hard, that the majority of North America adopted the Coke Santa in red and white as the its 'official' Santa.

Nicely done, WestJet... eh?

Certainly, Coke's Santa helped popularise the red/white image, however other advertisers used a red and white santa before Coke did.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Certainly, Coke's Santa helped popularise the red/white image, however other advertisers used a red and white santa before Coke did.

Granted... but there were several different colour schemes for Santas pre-Coke. After Coke's campaigns the red & white scheme - specifically the red coat with white trimmings on a jolly fat man - became the uniform. Several years ago I was in Whitehorse (Yukon territory) and was warmly greeted by a Saint Nick based on local traditions. Thin, wearing buckskin boots, and a long fringed multi-coloured coat heavily beaded, and sporting quills.

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Granted... but there were several different colour schemes for Santas pre-Coke. After Coke's campaigns the red & white scheme - specifically the red coat with white trimmings on a jolly fat man - became the uniform. Several years ago I was in Whitehorse (Yukon territory) and was warmly greeted by a Saint Nick based on local traditions. Thin, wearing buckskin boots, and a long fringed multi-coloured coat heavily beaded, and sporting quills.

“A standardized Santa Claus appears to New York children. Height, weight, stature are almost exactly standardized, as are the red garments, the hood and the white whiskers. The pack full of toys, ruddy cheeks and nose, bushy eyebrows and a jolly, paunchy effect are also inevitable parts of the requisite make-up." - New York Times 1927 [4 years before Coke started using red/white Santa].

Like I said, Coke helped popularise the image, but red/white had already been used [internationally] in prominent advertising and children's book illustrations for 50 or 60 years when Coke started using it. By the early 20th C [and before Coke started using it] red/white was already the dominant image for Santa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.