Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Macman1107
macrumors newbie

Just starting out.

Hey guys.

I am a complete novice when it comes to digital photography. I just bought a Canon 60D. I have a Mac Pro with Elements 10,a Topaz Photoshop Bundle 2012,and I have Photomatrix coming.
I took some pics today and I can't get the pics to load onto my computer. I know this is very basic. That is where I am at this point though.
Do I have to have my camera on a particular setting?
Do I import the pics onto my mac using iphoto? Or use one of the above programs?
Please let me know.

Thanks!
Macman1107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:52 AM   #2
sflarc51
macrumors newbie

I prefer to remove the memory card from the camera use a USB card reader. Saves the battery on the camera (and I suspect will have faster transfer speeds as well).

Once the card is recognized by the MAC, either while still in the camera or a USB card reader, the MAC will automatically want to import into iPhoto. This is a choice and you can use Finder instead to organize your collection of photos any way you like.

iPhoto is a great program for those wanting a simple, streamlined approach. Just be aware that is will automatically convert your RAW photo files to JPG for you and that you'll need to explicitly tell iPhoto to edit the RAW files when you make adjustments. Just poke around in iPhoto's preferences.

I used iPhoto for a long time for all of my post-production and it served me well. I've since migrated most of my work to Lightroom 4 and very much appreciate the advanced control.
sflarc51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

For the mac to recognise the camera you'll need to install the canon software supplied with it.
Kebabselector is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:35 AM   #4
mofunk
macrumors 65816

DYK you can go to the Apple store with your camera and they can teach you. Sign up to have one on one with an apple Genius and they can show you how to use your DLSR with the software.

or B. check your owners manual. There it shows you what to do.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman1107 View Post
Do I have to have my camera on a particular setting?
Do I import the pics onto my mac using iphoto? Or use one of the above programs?...
I think you should be using iPhoto to import the photos. iPhoto can import them into it's own library. That is the way to go.

The in iPhoto's "preferences" you can set Elements as the "default image editor"

Be sure and look at some big, large format photography books and decide what images and styles you like. 90% of photography is NOT about equipment. However, yes you do need to be able to import the images.

Also think about backups. Yes Time Machine keeps a backup but you need more. At least one off-site backup. Fire and theft of the equipment are major reasons for dta loss and Time Machine does not help there
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
The Mad Kiwi
macrumors 6502

If you're using iPhoto you should just be able to plug your camera into the usb port, turn it on. Then open iPhoto and click the import button and it should import into iPhoto.
The Mad Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7
spice weasel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflarc51 View Post
Once the card is recognized by the MAC, either while still in the camera or a USB card reader, the MAC will automatically want to import into iPhoto. This is a choice and you can use Finder instead to organize your collection of photos any way you like.
Just to let people know, in case they weren't aware...

You can change the default action your Mac takes when attaching a camera, SD card with images, iPhone, etc. Connect the device and then launch the Image Capture app. In the bottom left corner you can set the default action (such as launching iPhoto, Aperture, or doing nothing). I have my computers set to do nothing, allowing me to manually launch whatever app I want when I connect a device with images on it.
spice weasel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Captpegleg
macrumors member

For most folks, just fiddling around with the camera and cables will get some kind of results. I think in your particular case, and I'm just taking a wild stab at it here, RTFM might work. I don't think it matters much, just pick one.
Captpegleg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography