Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Curious1
macrumors newbie

iPad display differences

Searched the forum but didn't find anything on this...

I am going to buy the wife an iPad. Sounds like Apple is splitting the LCD supply across a few companies - LG, Samsung and Sharp. Are their potential visual differences from one iPad to another much like we have seen with the MacBook (Samsung vs LG)? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Curious1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

really?

I predict multiple returns in your future.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
bubbaguuump
macrumors newbie

Don't give em a hard time. I've noticed many many variations with the 4th Gen iPad and just today finally got a good one with an even screen, even back light, no weird pink or purple hues and no over yellowing (or some people like to call it "warm" screen). Just has a little back light bleed in the bottom right corner that isn't noticeable under normal viewing. The others had so many issues and I was tired of exchanging them but didn't want to plop down $650 and have a sub par screen. So IMO QA was crap on this release and the multi screen suppliers make it even more complicated cause you're not sure what you going to get. I've lost count on the # of ones I had to open in the store, replace, order online and return. It's been a stressful but persistence pays off... The old saying try, try again... Good luck and don't settle for something your not happy with!
bubbaguuump is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

I agree with Gump.... hate returning items but unfortunately the QA is sometimes left to the customer base. The only way to fix this is return the item and participate in the process.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRito View Post
I agree with Gump.... hate returning items but unfortunately the QA is sometimes left to the customer base. The only way to fix this is return the item and participate in the process.
Just buy it and enjoy it. I'm sure you have better things to do than constantly return a $500 device .
Brian Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
marcoity
macrumors newbie

Red face

hello, new to the forums... i have a question on this topic. My 4th gen ipad has yellow tint on the lower left corner & when the screen is tilted a little bit up & down pink/red colors appear.... I want to return & get better one(hopefully). I bought the ipad online from macmall to save tax, so my question is will i be able to exchange it at a apple store or do i need to ship it back to macmall ??
I just hate the thought of shipping & receiving something similar again.
marcoity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #7
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRito View Post
I agree. I've already returned 5 iPads minis in 3 weeks because of hair underneath the screen to yellow blotches on the screen. I finally got a near-perfect model without any defects. *knocks on wood*

I suggest exchanging your iPad if you are unhappy.

Wise up, Apple.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:27 AM   #8
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Based on my experiences, all iPads sold have significant worse screens than the iPads on display in Apple Stores and resellers. I've seen about ~15 retina iPads since the launch, and all of them are worse than the iPads in the stores.

Also, I've swapped my iPad four times, all iPads I've had had far worse screens than the iPads in the Apple Store (I compared them side by side at full brightness).

You can also take a look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=90&tstart=0

Lots of people are complaining about the fact that their iPad has a yellow/green screen with low contrast in comparison with the iPads in the Apple Store.

I have no source to provide evidence for this statement, but for a consumer, this is nearly impossible. However, when you search around on the internet for this type of complaints, people have reached consensus that getting a good iPad display, such as the demo units have, is like a lottery. In general, you get a yellow/green screen with worse contrast.

I'm not saying that perfect screens do not exist, however the chances of getting such an iPad are very slim. Be aware of that.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad