Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
So, according to coconutBattery, I've had this thing for 22 weeks. Like the title says, the battery can now hold 87% of design capacity.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with the battery?

Yes, this is my main computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It says 90 cycles and 87% health on iStats and 86% on coconutBattery.

The built-in battery of the MacBook Air is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at up to 750 full charge and discharge cycles.

Am I doing something wrong?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It says 90 cycles and 87% health on iStats and 86% on coconutBattery.
The 750 cycles is for earlier models. For newer notebooks, it's 1000 cycles. As I said, it will fluctuate up and down over time. It's not a straight decline. Don't worry about it unless it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles. If it does, take it to Apple and let them check to see if it's defective. They usually won't even check unless it's below 80%.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
The 750 cycles is for earlier models. For newer notebooks, it's 1000 cycles. As I said, it will fluctuate up and down over time. It's not a straight decline. Don't worry about it unless it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles. If it does, take it to Apple and let them check to see if it's defective. They usually won't even check unless it's below 80%.

Maybe you're right.

I'm just a little paranoid about my 2200$ purchase.

I hope you understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.